The people behind the Dawn of War and Company of Heroes real-time strategy games have got an idea for how to do the genre right on console - but they're keeping it a secret for now.There have been few successful RTS games on console. Perhaps the most successful was Ensemble's Halo Wars on Xbox 360. Most agree, however, that RTS is best played with a mouse and keyboard.But Relic's game director Quinn Duffy has other ideas. During a recent interview about The Western Front Armies, the upcoming standalone DLC for Company of Heroes 2, Duffy told Eurogamer the studio has come up with a "plausible solution" to the RTS on console problem."There was always a talk of strategy games on console," Duffy said. "We were just like, 'oh my God, how do you do that?' We think we came up with a plausible solution, which I'm not going to talk about."There's some stuff that's been back burnered for years because we wanted to see how technology, the market, control and touch emerged. Hopefully we will be positioned to adapt to some of that."Even though Relic has something up its sleeve for RTS on console, Duffy admits that the mouse and keyboard will probably remain the ideal control input for the genre. "The purist interface control of a traditional strategy game is mouse and keyboard," he said.And, even if RTS emerged on console, Duffy said he doubted console and PC players would be pitted against each other in multiplayer matches, simply because it wouldn't be fair on console players. "I don't know if you'd ever get them playing against each other."But, elements of strategy, such as squad control, the god view, are perfectly doable on console. "But not in the same way," Duffy explained."There would need to be some changes. But I think it's possible. You need to stretch the boundaries a little bit."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...onsole-problem