The former boss of Sony Computer Entertainment America has described the early success of PS4 as a ‘redemption’ for the challenges experienced by PS3.
Tretton left Sony at the end of March and recently joined AI start-up Genotaur.
"I did want to go out on top. I feel really good about where I left PlayStation with PS4,” he told Games Industry. “The most challenging time I think was establishing PlayStation 3 and establishing Blu-ray technology and the financial challenges that went along with the PS3.
“But that's where PlayStation 4 was such a great redemption. Figuring everything out and making that platform such a success quite frankly contributed to me being more comfortable with getting on to the rest of my career.
"I spent 19 years with Sony and enjoyed it very much, but my original plan was three years and it just continued to get extended as the company was successful and I was successful. It just got to the point, especially with the success of PlayStation 4, that I'd done just about everything I could for them and I really wanted an opportunity to be more of a free agent as opposed to being dedicated to one platform and one company.
Tretton also complimented his former market rivals.
"I think every company has their challenges but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Microsoft and Nintendo,” he added. “I think they both have tremendous resources and strengths and they've had their successes in the past and they'll have their successes in the future.
“I think both companies will ultimately be around for a long time to come and will continue to have success in gaming. I've always said I think a rising tide lifts all boats, so if gaming is going to be healthy it needs as many healthy companies as possible.
"A world where there's only one successful console manufacturer is not necessarily a healthy world. You need multiple people bringing multiple ideas and technologies to bear.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/trett...ove-on/0133277