Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strategy guides

Question strategy guides

I was looking at my game collection. I tend to do this from time to time. It makes me feel like scrooge mcduck swimming though his money bin. I've got a collection any or most gamers would be proud to own. But I noticed a trend that seems to be fading away. Strategy guides. What ever happened to strategy guides There was a time when ever I bought a title. I'd have to have the strategy guide to compliment it. "Of course Id never user them. As I view a strategy guide as cheating. No It just really made my games feel like a cut above the rest or a more complete collection. Just having the strategy guide to accompany it. In the years past, I've bought less and less of those little devil books. And I've noticed most people in general tend to pass them by these days too.

I personally credit that to the internet. Sure people never for the most part use the online walkthroughs either. But just knowing they are there and free is enough to ward away a useless $15.00 purchase. So ive just got to ask. Am I alone in leaving the strategy guides on the store shelves? Or am I right? Is almost everyone passing them up these days?

Let me hear something Guys. SP.

nah, your not the only one

i never really became interested in strategy guides due to me not needing them... i find it better to learn a puzzle on your own rather than having a guide tell you how to do it ( theres a reason why that puzzle was put in there...and that was to puzzle you...lol )

also, the fact that you can get free strategy guides on the net... ( as you said.... FREE or $15....hmmm...i think ill get free )

thats just my opinion but im sure others do think that way too :P

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon
    404 Error: This signature is missing!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PSPdemon View Post
    nah, your not the only one

i never really became interested in strategy guides due to me not needing them... i find it better to learn a puzzle on your own rather than having a guide tell you how to do it ( theres a reason why that puzzle was put in there...and that was to puzzle you...lol )

also, the fact that you can get free strategy guides on the net... ( as you said.... FREE or $15....hmmm...i think ill get free )

thats just my opinion but im sure others do think that way too :P

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon
    Brother demon How have you been bro I came by irc last night. I think you where already AFK though.

How have ya been bro

Quote Originally Posted by shadowprophet View Post
    Brother demon How have you been bro I came by irc last night. I think you where already AFK though.

How have ya been bro
    been good..... been good

get on IRC tonight! ill be up!

was meaning to talk to you anway.

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon

The only time that I will actually feel the need to get a strategy guide now is if it has exclusive artwork (as in, I can't find it online), and that's pretty rare now.

Cool

been good..... been good

get on IRC tonight! ill be up!

was meaning to talk to you anway.

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon
    I will be there at some point, it may be late though. I've been playing mario galaxy a lot. It's really good bro. But I should still be by in a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm-Death View Post
    The only time that I will actually feel the need to get a strategy guide now is if it has exclusive artwork (as in, I can't find it online), and that's pretty rare now.
    Yeah I'm still known to pick up a guide for my final fantasay games for that very reason. Most final fantasy strategy guides are known to have art work by yoshitaka amano. So I still pick them up just for the art work

Quote Originally Posted by shadowprophet View Post
    I will be there at some point, it may be late though. I've been playing mario galaxy a lot. It's really good bro. But I should still be by in a few hours
    ...lol.....

its 1:24 am....ill probably be sleeping by then....

oh well...ill work more on HR-D mod then

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon

...lol.....

its 1:24 am....ill probably be sleeping by then....

oh well...ill work more on HR-D mod then

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon
    If you ever need me bro you know how to reach me. Even if im not on. Leave me a message via msn. I will get it as soon as I turn my 360 on

I am almost always on the 360 btw. I stay in invisible a lot now. Some x-box live person kept messaging me relentlessly while I was playing halo3 on legendary ((seriously. 27 messages while I was beating the two scrabs tword the end))... And I decided invisible was the way to go lol

ive only gotten strategy guides in the past because my mom used to get them for free.

but i never use them as i want to figure out what to do in the game myself.

and if i really cant figure it out after infinity and forever, i turn to gamefaqs.

Quote Originally Posted by kcajblue View Post
    ive only gotten strategy guides in the past because my mom used to get them for free.

but i never use them as i want to figure out what to do in the game myself.

and if i really cant figure it out after infinity and forever, I turn to gamefaqs.
    Indeed. I rarely ever use a strategy guide. I beat halo3 on legendary. "Without co op help all single player" Im really proud of that. And I never used a walkthrough or the first cheat code "if there are any cheat codes for halo3"

But I did use the walkthrough to find the skulls. I mean damn those are hid pretty well and unless you have the time to check every nook and cranny in the game and try every possible thing you can do you get from point a to point b you wont find them all. So I just used an online walkthrough to find them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information