Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a Playstation game self-boot?

DCEmu Regular

Default What makes a Playstation game self-boot?

hey everyone, it has been awhile since i have came here to visit and check out what is going on, and i dont knowif this is the right place to discuss this or one place that i culd find, but i always ask myself 'what makes a Playstation game self-boot?'

i know it has been discussed a couple of times in other forums on the net, but never really gotten anywhere and just confused people. and unlike dreamcast game, where backups can be made selfbootable, i have not yet seen a playstation game that is over a decade old has not been able to be made selfboot when it has been backed-up.

thus, i was wondering, what actually mades this? because looking atit, just is an ordinary CD-ROM. but to expand on that slightly, i have read that there are deliberate error codes or data which the console reads and detects this as a way to boto the game up, but this i am not sure.

so i was hoping if anyone here can help me on this, and as well maybe if anyone has done, to make a PSX game boot up as a back up.

Its the console that makes it self boot, nothing to do with the disc.

Blog Entries

There is something encoded within the disc that the console reads, which isn't imprinted on a regular CDR.

If you don't have a PSone still, remember the discs were black.

a Dreamcast backup and a PlayStation backup are totally different. Dreamcast discs have copy protection.

Canada, Ruler of Patriarch of Constantinople and Vicar of the Hagia Sofia

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    a Dreamcast backup and a PlayStation backup are totally different. Dreamcast discs have copy protection.
    Dreamcast is also way easier to get backups for too

Quote Originally Posted by SnesR0X View Post
    Ilegally yes, it's easy to get any game.

But I'm sure there's a big difference between dumping a Dreamcast game and a PlayStation game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnesR0X View Post
    Yes, but Dreamcast discs could not be copied directly and had to be copied with a "special" reader/writer.

DCEmu Regular

There is something encoded within the disc that the console reads, which isn't imprinted on a regular CDR.
    when u say on the disc, as in physically? or within the data?

If you don't have a PSone still, remember the discs were black.
    i am very aware of that, i still own a few

so in anyway, is there way of replicating what the Playstation does? or even trying to make a PS game selfboot? for example, using a PSDev kit writer or actually obtaining a PS boot disc and somewhat modify it into the game itself?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeressaBond View Post
    when u say on the disc, as in physically? or within the data?
    Physically, I think there is a hidden layer on the discs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeressaBond View Post
    i am very aware of that, i still own a few

so in anyway, is there way of replicating what the Playstation does? or even trying to make a PS game selfboot? for example, using a PSDev kit writer or actually obtaining a PS boot disc and somewhat modify it into the game itself?
    I believe you can make self booting discs with a Yaroze programing kit, but alternatively if you wanted a boot disc to play with , I would recommend using a cheat CD.

I just inserted a BLAZE Xploder cheat/boot CD (for PSone) into my PC and the files display:

PSX.EXE
    ZDUMMY.DAT

The entire content of the disc is 5.94MB, I reckon that if you knew what you were doing you could possibly bypass a game to load from the PSX.EXE file.

according to Wikipedia:

the discs were mastered with a specific wobble in the lead-in area. This wobble encodes a four-character sequence which is checked by the CD-ROM drive's controller chip. The drive will only accept the disc if the code is correct. This string varies depending on the region of the disk—"SCEI" for NTSC:J machines, "SCEA" for NTSC:U/C machines, "SCEE" for PAL machines and "SCEW" for the Net Yaroze. Since the tracking pattern is pressed into the disc at the time of manufacture, this cannot be reproduced on a CD-R recorder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information