PDA

View Full Version : VMZip v1.0.0 Released

bucanero
August 31st, 2005, 21:54
Based on RockinB's idea, I've created this new Dreamcast tool called VMZip.

The idea behind VMZip is simple but powerful: compress & decompress VMU save files using BZip2 compression, and save the result file on a target VMU.

For example: you have a Quake 3 Arena save that takes 25 blocks, but you don't want to erase it to have free blocks for another game save. You can use VMZip to compress the Q3A file, and the result will be a 3 blocks file. Now you've 22 free blocks, provided that you erase the original Q3A save and keep the compressed file.

Take a look at the screenshots here (http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=99309&ssid=17702).

Dowload VMZip v1.0.0 unscrambled binary (.BIN), selfboot inducer (.SBI) and source code from my site (http://www.bucanero.com.ar/descargas.php?id_categoria_descarga=1) or SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=99309&package_id=106535)

Controls: (A) selects, (B) cancel, (X) calculate compressed/decompressed file size, (Y) credits

post your comments!

TyBO
August 31st, 2005, 23:16
Wow... that's a great idea. Thanks bucanero...

SiZiOUS
September 1st, 2005, 00:09
Really thanks bucanero !!!

sixtyten
September 1st, 2005, 00:23
Now this is an awesome tool. Any corruption problems?

bucanero
September 1st, 2005, 03:31
Now this is an awesome tool. Any corruption problems?

There should be no data corruption at all. The bzip2 algorithm uses CRC so when the data is decompressed it will be saved only if the unpacked data is correct.

The format of any VMZIPDAT.??? file is a standard dreamcast header (title, description, icon, etc = 640 bytes) followed by the bzipped data.
The decompression takes only the bzip2 data part, decompress it and saves it with the original filename.

A PC app for unpacking VMZipped saves could be done pretty easily.

DARKGATE
September 1st, 2005, 07:44
:D great!!! Bucanero you tools are great!!!!

RockinB
September 1st, 2005, 12:39
Cool stuff, bucanero!

Now you released it first. Just when I want to release my Save Game Manager for SEGA Saturn, I stumble over another problem or special case.
Hopefully I can get my release out, too.

Thanks, bucanero!

BTW: these screenshots, I can't view them.

bucanero
September 1st, 2005, 17:04
Cool stuff, bucanero!

Now you released it first. Just when I want to release my Save Game Manager for SEGA Saturn, I stumble over another problem or special case.
Hopefully I can get my release out, too.

Thanks, bucanero!

BTW: these screenshots, I can't view them.

You're doing a much more complex tool, so it's logical to spend more time resolving more problems. But I'm sure you'll be able to release your Saturn app soon! :D

if there's a problem with the screenshots hosted at SF.net, check the attachment I made in this post. ;)

Christuserloeser
September 1st, 2005, 18:54
Very very cool. :)

RockinB
September 1st, 2005, 19:07
Very nice screenshot!

Oh, I finally did it, the Save Game Manager for SEGA Saturn (http://www.rockin-b.de/saturn/SaveGameManager_050901.rar) is out. I'm really happy...

I can't come up with such beautiful graphics, because I'm using text display only. BZip2 really gets to the limit of RAM space. But I like it, hehe.

Thanks for your work, bucanero!

Pavlik
September 1st, 2005, 19:12
Hey Bucanero. Great tool !!! Can I request from you little tool for AR/GS save? There is win app to make code save for CodeBreaker and Xploder: Xploder DC Code Compiler - http://www.cmgsccc.com/downloads/index.php?item=2 With it you can easy make a code save, burn it and load by that 2 cheat tools:

for eg:

Game Name
Cheat Name
.end
Game Name

This tool is not compatible with AR save (not only the file name). As you know i made biggest code save Action Replay and i like to upgrade it with new codes (eg. for De La Jet Set Radio) but i cant go online with my DC so maybe you can make (or hack) utility for PC to make / edit code save for Action Replay or GameShark... If you have some time look at the structure (differences) of CodeBreaker, Xploder / AR, GS. Thanks.

Eric
September 1st, 2005, 23:09
Hey Bucanero i just have to say your work is simply amazing with all your thoughts on the VMU. Anyways i'm kind of in a troubled mind on what to do with this app. Do i have to download saves off the net, when i make the image do i put the saves in a folder, or do i have to have saves already on the vmu like other apps out there. I would also like to know the zip is already included in the tool or do i have to compress my saves on the PC using Bzip2 and then send them over to my vmu and use the VMzip tool?

Thanks

Eric

bucanero
September 2nd, 2005, 04:12
Hey Bucanero i just have to say your work is simply amazing with all your thoughts on the VMU. Anyways i'm kind of in a troubled mind on what to do with this app. Do i have to download saves off the net, when i make the image do i put the saves in a folder, or do i have to have saves already on the vmu like other apps out there. I would also like to know the zip is already included in the tool or do i have to compress my saves on the PC using Bzip2 and then send them over to my vmu and use the VMzip tool?

Thanks

Eric

Eric, you don't need to dowload or add any saves to the burned disc. The VMZip tool will use the saves that you already have in your VMU's.
You don't have to compress your saves on your PC, that's not the idea. This tool will compress the saves that you have in your VMU's and save them on another (or the same) VMU. You will later use VMZip to decompress those "vmzipped" saves when you need to use them again.

I know that the idea might be a bit hard to understand ... my suggestion, burn the .SBI along with other homebrew stuff, and when you've some time, try it. You'll get the idea when you use it.

RedKing14CA
September 2nd, 2005, 05:44
DC seams awsome, how mucha re they going for on ebay now? last time i bid up to 25$ (10$ shipping) and it went up to like 40, so 50$ totall...

sixtyten
September 2nd, 2005, 20:44
My SBInducer has been tweaking out for the past two days, and not working. This old computer is about to die, methinks. SBI never did that for me before. So would someone be so kind as to upload a .cdi or .nrg image for me?

sixtyten
September 2nd, 2005, 20:49
DC seams awsome, how mucha re they going for on ebay now? last time i bid up to 25$ (10$ shipping) and it went up to like 40, so 50$ totall...

Dreamcast is still really popular with the hardcore gamers, and the homebrew scene, so, I think you'd be lucky to get one under $40 US. You might want to hit pawnshops or something, they usually don't know what they have, but, I haven't seen a Dreamcast in a pawnshop for about 2 years.

Eric
September 2nd, 2005, 22:29
LOL Bucanero i know how to use the tool though i havent yet cause of your reply. This program is quite simular to the PSX 2 memory card manager used for the the 3rd party memory card but the only way to get that program is buying that memory and being used only for that memory card. So your idea has been used before but your idea is being used for the first time on the Dreamcast and I think if Dreamcast was still alive commercially Sega would have thought and probably still are thinking what a amazing idea. Cant wait to check this program out cause now i can shorten all my files and possibly have 1 or possibly 2 vmu's empty.

Amazing Work

Eric

bucanero
September 3rd, 2005, 03:24
so maybe you can make (or hack) utility for PC to make / edit code save for Action Replay or GameShark... If you have some time look at the structure (differences) of CodeBreaker, Xploder / AR, GS. Thanks.

I had that idea in mind long time ago... I did some research around the gameshark cdx save format but I never finished the app... I might work on it again when I've some free time.

SBI never did that for me before. So would someone be so kind as to upload a .cdi or .nrg image for me?

Sizious has created a selfboot DiscJuggler (.cdi) image, you can download it here: http://sbibuilder.dc-france.com/bordel/vmzip100_cdi.zip

sixtyten
September 3rd, 2005, 04:34
Sizious has created a selfboot DiscJuggler (.cdi) image, you can download it here: http://sbibuilder.dc-france.com/bordel/vmzip100_cdi.zip
Rawk. Time for a compressing spree to see if I can fit everything on one card.

UPDATE:
I just went and compressed some stuff. Really cool tool. I was disappointed that it didn't do a lot to the beast that is a PSOV2 Guild Card, but, still, very cool. Much love to bucanero.

SiZiOUS
September 3rd, 2005, 13:05
Woohoo ! I forgot to put the link here ! ;)

Eric
September 3rd, 2005, 20:15
Well i finally got to test the tool out. Its a amazing tool not sure if this has been said but sys files seem to get more blocks. But i had saved 1 memory card of 3 that were full. I have now 2 memory cards with one block on 1. On the other memory cards they are full. So amazing tool i like it.

Eric

sixtyten
September 4th, 2005, 07:15
By the way, this thing works WONDERS for MSR save files (PAL version anyhow, not sure if NTSC is any different). I believe a save file is 63 blocks, well, this tool knocks it down to 5.

RockinB
September 4th, 2005, 10:53
Bucanero, which blockSize100k are you using fo compression?

I can only use 1 or up to 4 with external 4MByte RAM cart.

bucanero
September 4th, 2005, 16:33
this thing works WONDERS for MSR save files (PAL version anyhow, not sure if NTSC is any different). I believe a save file is 63 blocks, well, this tool knocks it down to 5.

Thanks for the info! If you have compressed more saves, please post your compression results. I'm building a list of saves with their original/compressed size.

Bucanero, which blockSize100k are you using fo compression?

I've tested using from 1 to 9 and I've got the same compression results, so I finally used blocksize=1 to use less memory. I think that the blocksize var makes a difference in bigger files, because even a whole 200 blocks save file is less than 1 mbyte of data.

RockinB
September 6th, 2005, 07:57
Thanks for that compression hint, so bigger blocksize does only have an effect for bigger files.

As for bigger files: Is it possible to put multiple files into one compressed archive?
Because that would increase compression ratio even more.

I don't have a VMU at my current location, but I have a handfull of overfilled VMUs elsewhere, so I'll try it soon.