PDA

View Full Version : US Military use Wii to blow up bombs

Shrygue
March 27th, 2008, 19:11
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=185548)

The United States military has adapted the motion-sensitive Wii Remotes to operate bomb-defusing robots in war-zone situations, it's emerged.

The Packbot, which looks a lot like Johnny-5 in Short Circuit and is made by iRobot in Burlington, Massachusetts, disposes of bombs, finds explosives and locates landmines for soldiers in the field.

It's also controlled by the Wii Remote. "Wiimotes are more instinctive, allowing users to focus on data processing," US Department of Energy scientists told New Scientist.

Unfortunately, there's no word yet on whether we can see a home edition from the US Government, ala America's Army.

acn010
March 27th, 2008, 19:17
i use my wiimote as a mouse for my comp, lol

____anders____
March 27th, 2008, 22:44
hehe, blowing up bombs with my wiimote.. i've never tried that, but i actually tried to play wii games with it though and it feels like it was made to do just that.. i do want to try it out as a mouse for my computer.. but i don't have a bluetooth dongle..

you just reminded me acn010 that MP3 is sooo awesome and fun but it's way too short and no online play, an awesome game like that shouldn't be without online play..

and it's WAY too easy damn i just owned every single enemy on "hyper-mode" they just didn't have a chanse in hell to beat me ;)

eatnooM
March 29th, 2008, 01:44
I hope for their sake they don't use a PC running GlovePIE as a medium, as the following note might just screw em over.

NOTE! You may not use this software on military bases, or for military purposes, or in Israel (until they end the occupation of Palestine). Violation of the license agreement will be prosecuted. See the readme for the license agreement.