PDA

View Full Version : Sony: PSP Shipments Up 85%; PSP to Evolve Over 10-Year Lifecycle

Shrygue
March 27th, 2008, 19:24
via Gamedaily (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/sony-psp-shipments-up-85-psp-to-evolve-over-10year-lifecycle/?biz=1)

In a new interview with IGN, John Koller, senior marketing manager for the PSP, shared his thoughts on the PSP's recent surge in the market and how the platform itself is evolving.

"...we talked [previously] about year three of the PSP really kind of being the year when it was going to come out fighting and I think what we saw was, with the price drop and with the new hardware configuration, the PSP 2000, that we really saw an incredible jump in demand -- so much so that we really had a worldwide demand bump that was very, very significant and allowed us to increase our total shipments worldwide," said Koller.

"So for us, in North America, we saw an 85% jump since the price drop in April of last year and we've really seen a wide variety of casual gamers get into the PSP market. Some of them are driven by the games, but others have been really driven by a lot of the multi-functional features and we've noticed a substantial increase in the amount of consumers using the PSP for music, using it for Internet browsing, using it for video -- which isn't as big a surprise to us, just because the PSP was really made for showing off brilliant graphics on the screen."

Sony has repeatedly talked about 10-year lifecycles for its consoles, but Koller also believes the PSP will stick around for 10 years. The portable may see some more changes along the way, however.

"We've talked about the PSP being a 10 year product, but a 10 year product in the continued... how can I put this... in the continued lifecycle, so we obviously had the 1000 [model], we have the 2000, so the PSP as it was first launched in March 2005 isn't going to the be the PSP that it ends up as in 10 years, but it will still be a very strong portable gaming device that is centered in gaming and has a lot of multi-functional features," he explained. "We look at it just like our console business being a 10 year cycle, but we do see iterations as we go along to really adjust to the market. What we've done is the 2000 series adjusted to the market in terms of making it more portable. What we're seeing now, at least in the near- to mid-term, is going to be firmware updates that add features and other functions that the consumer's asked for."

Later in the interview, Koller also clarified something that a number of us have been wondering about, namely if the upcoming Portable Copy feature (copying a Blu-ray movie to PSP) can be applied to any existing Blu-ray movie. Unfortunately it can't.

"It has to be already included. We do think that most Blu-ray movies from Sony Pictures will include it starting this summer. There are some DVD movies that'll include it as well," he said. "The first one was the latest Resident Evil, and that launched, I believe, in November, so there'll be a few DVD movies as well that will be included in this program. It won't just be Blu-ray."

Gene
March 27th, 2008, 19:47
10 years is good to hear. However, by 2015 I think the technology in the psp will be severely outdated. So I am a bit uneasy on this whole idea, but nonetheless its great to hear they aren't abandoning the fans, and owners.

juiceface
March 28th, 2008, 00:15
true, but he said the psp of today won't be the same psp in 10 years, hence you might see upgraded hardware specs on the future psps

Qmark
March 28th, 2008, 06:10
10 years is good to hear. However, by 2015 I think the technology in the psp will be severely outdated.That's not so bad, really.
The technology in the original GameBoy was already obsolete in 1989, but the format's bizarre forward-compatibility kept it quite alive until DS in 2004.

gmiscool
March 28th, 2008, 06:29
wow
just wowwwww

Veskgar
March 28th, 2008, 08:27
Well with future hardware revisions comes the possibility of better commercial games. But unless future PSP's can be opened up to use a custom firmware, I"ll stick with the current Slim PSP for homebrew and emulation needs.

I don't want to think about 2015 though. The current PSP TODAY still holds so much promise and has more potential to improve and evolve in many ways. Firmware, commercial games, and homebrew to name a few.

The PSP homebrew scene has slowed down some but I think (hope) its just one of those temporary things that always ends up picking up again.

dangee
March 28th, 2008, 09:06
..we've really seen a wide variety of casual gamers get into the
PSP market. Some of them are driven by the games, but others have been really driven by a lot of the multi-functional features..

I guess that's about as close as Sony are likely to come to an official admission
that the homebrew/emulation scene continues to make a significant positive
contribution to the success of the PSP.

Qmark
March 28th, 2008, 10:47
I guess that's about as close as Sony are likely to come to an official admission
that the homebrew/emulation scene continues to make a significant positive
contribution to the success of the PSP.
Now tell me how "homebrew" is remarkably different from "you can play Super Nintendo ROMs".

dangee
March 28th, 2008, 13:35
"you can play Super Nintendo ROMs".

I don't usually lol , but haha yeah , Sony should put that quote
onto the PSP packaging..
..add "Stream U-Tube"..
(..oh, & include a tool battery as standard accessory)

wonder how that'd affect sales figures !