PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Ubuntu Installation Problems

DarthPaul
March 28th, 2008, 23:51
Hey there guys,

I'm having huge problems while trying to install Ubuntu on my PS3, and of course, I need help. And yeah, I did check the similar threads here but none of them seems to solve my problem.

Well, here is what I did:

I used this guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3). But, I'm so dumb and I mistakenly skipped the "Prepare the PlayStation 3" step, so I didn't create a spare partition. Ubuntu is my main menu right now... Now I have Ubuntu on my Live CD burned, and it loads. The "Ubuntu PS3 Loader" black, first screen shows up but the USB stuff won't work there, so I can't type the boot-game-os to go back to the PS3 after kboot:. Well, after some time Ubuntu boots up for itself, and I try installing it to the disk but the only partition there is the CD inserted, and obviously I can't make it there.

Well, I tried using the terminal to go back XMB and that doesn't work either. So, I'm almost totally stuck here. I'm just wondering what the heck do I have to do to go back to the XMB?

Gizmo356
March 28th, 2008, 23:55
If I were you I would use yellowdog linux 6.0 it runs a-lot better than Ubuntu

DarthPaul
March 28th, 2008, 23:58
Hm, yeah. I guess... that's what I read. But I'll have to solve this problem first and then think about that. :p

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2008, 00:16
Hold the power button till your ps3 completely turns off that should work

DarthPaul
March 29th, 2008, 13:50
Nop, as I said, when I turn it back on it will load Ubuntu and not the XMB, 'cause Ubuntu is my main OS now...

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2008, 14:17
Do you have any access to the terminal?

EDIT: OOOPS guess you do well what happens when you type boot-game-os ? Try ps3-boot-game-os

Are you sure you held the power button till the PS3 made the Beeping noise twice?

DarthPaul
March 29th, 2008, 14:35
Tried ps3-boot-game-os and says "command not found".

When I type boot-game-os says "can't change boot flag".

And yes, I'm pretty sure I did that. I even turned it off using the Main Power in the back.

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2008, 14:41
Not sure if this will work try logging in as root with "sudo su" minus the quotation marks and then try the boot-game-os command

or sudo boot-game-os

DarthPaul
March 29th, 2008, 14:51
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! I FRUCKING LOVE YOU SO FRUCKING MUCH!!!! :| :| :eek: :eek:

Seriously!! I have this same thread in Max-Console, QJ, even the Ubuntu official forums and no-one knows anything! They thought I was screwed! But you are the man!!

That did the trick, I'm in the XMB right now. I'm gonna cry! I was thinking right now "Bah... I still have warranty, I'm going tomorrow and get another one.. :(" but that worked!!

Thanks thanks!!

Oh and I accepted your request right now. :D

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2008, 14:57
No prob ;) now go get YDL 6.0 lol

DarthPaul
March 29th, 2008, 15:09
Seriously? Is it a lot better?

I read that YDL6 supports Wi-Fi and Ubuntu doesn't... hm.. but the ISO is like 3.7gb's big.

I'll start downloading YDL 6 now, and when it's done I'll just delete the Ubuntu partition and install YDL instead. Thanks for the recomendation. :)

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2008, 15:17
Yeah its alot faster and uses less ram when you use E17 desktop enviorment

jhonnyB
August 13th, 2008, 09:40
Hi guys,

Jhonny here.

New to this part of the web, think i might be able to add a bit to this conversation. Check this thread
http://www.fixya.com/support/t914746-ubuntu_install_problem

it might help you with your Ubuntu installation.

Good luck,
Jhonny.