PDA

View Full Version : Do You Finish Every Game You Buy?

wraggster
March 29th, 2008, 13:02
Ah, yes, Friday. The day of the week where we settle in, relax and just talk. You guessed it, we've got another round of TUD, (aka Tell Us Dammit) coming your way. For those not in the known, Tell us Dammit is our opportunity to learn more about you reader person. That way we can feel closer! And perhaps, even for a fleeting second, feel kinda bad when we ban your ass. Here's how it works: We ask a question. You answer it. So! This week, the TUD Giraffe asks:

Do you finish every game you buy?

Man, I am bad about finishing games. Unless I'm reviewing them, I find it really hard to complete the game. And it's not a time thing, but in a way, I guess I don't want that experience to end. (Sentimental and stupid, I know!) Usually, I start a game, get close to the end and start another one. Vicious cycle, that.

http://kotaku.com/373697/do-you-finish-every-game-you-buy

pcwzrd13
March 29th, 2008, 13:20
Me too! Sometimes it's because I get stuck on one part of the game and I just give up or I'll I start on a new game and I won't want to play the other one. On the other hand, there are some games that are so fun that you could finish them in a few hours :D

newb_fo_life
March 29th, 2008, 13:29
hehe,I really bought cod4 for the multiplayer.but if my internet is ever taken off i play it or hl2

I just dont have the effort to finish games

WhizzBang
March 29th, 2008, 13:31
I hardly ever finish a game. Even if I do get to the end, the game sometimes open up new bits (e.g. more race tracks, harder difficulty level, etc) which I then never complete.

Usually I give up when I have spent too long on one bit and can't get past it. I get bored of re-trying and failing over and over again.

The games I am most likely to complete are RPGs as they are usually fairly easy, you just need to put the hours in and keep going.

onetwentyeight
March 29th, 2008, 13:33
i just read an article concerning this issue on 1up yesterday, and i too am guilty of either hitting a dead end or becoming distracted by another game even on another system. back in school now i have little time to devote to grinding through games, and as a multisystem gamer too many choices just confuse me (at least the question of which system to buy it for has become more moot than in the previous generation).

the game i promise never to finish but to play forever right now is rockband especially since it's the first game since super puzzle fighter on the sega saturn that my wife comes home begging to play every night. at least it leaves better music stuck in our heads all day.

JKKDARK
March 29th, 2008, 13:45
I don't complete them 100%, but I finsh various of my games.

DarthPaul
March 29th, 2008, 13:52
I'm exactly like wraggster here.

ojdon
March 29th, 2008, 13:53
Well, it depends how each game is structured. I think more than half the games I own, I actually complete. Hardly any games I complete 100% (That means, not just reaching the ending and credits, but finding all the extras, etc)

Recently, I've been going back and completing quite a few games for my Xbox 360, Sonic 2006 and Halo 3, spring to mind.

Some games I don't really have the intention of completing the game straight away, Phantasy Star Universe comes to mind, since I play on the online mode far too much to even get far in Story Mode. :P

AlMightyBob
March 29th, 2008, 14:02
I hardly play singleplayer games anymore, let alone finish them. The HL2 series has always attracted me though so I've finished all the episodes so far.

bobkarns
March 29th, 2008, 15:30
I tell ya, I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 games across many many consoles, and in my younger days I was more apt to finish games that I buy, but now that i'm older and work 8-5 M-F I don't have enough time to finish all games that I buy 100%, but instead i'm moving more towards games like smash brothers brawl, and online shooters, as they are pick-up and put-down games.

gutbub
March 29th, 2008, 15:33
Wow, I don't feel so bad about blowing my money on games anymore. I don't complete games as often as I used to nowadays. I just have too much to do. I have school during the day, and work during the evening. Even when neither of those is the interference, it's either another game, or it's my attention span.
Over the past few years, my interest in games has gradually decreased, and my attention shifted to other aspects of my life, that and girls :D .Oh well, the only thing I can say is, the next game I promise to take the time to complete for sure is, Starcraft II.

____anders____
March 29th, 2008, 15:42
i do try to finish all my games, and most of them do get finished, but it's hard to get all the stuff for a 100% completition, but i finish the last boss in all of them :)

like SMG, i beat the last boss (guess who..) the second day i had the game, so i'm a bit of a nerd when i get a new game but this time i will get all the stars, but the cosmic comets is annoying cus i hate them, i don't like racing with limited time on these kind of games (platformers) so i usually skip them but sometime i have to get them ;)

EDIT: nowadays the games are so short! so if i want two games but i only have the money for one then i buy the longest and hardest of them so it can keep me busy until i get the other one :).
and i borrow the wii games from my friend cus he just bought an X360, so he doesn't play his wii that much, i borrowed zelda TP and i just played around 15 hours on it and i'm already at the desert thing :) i don't have that much to do on my spare time, after school, almost no homework at all or tests, none (almost anyway :)) so i play all the time.
i'm studying at the industry program in.. i don't know what it's called in the us (high school?, but in sweden i'ts called gymnasium, and really there's almost no homework there, cus we're in the workshop almost all the time and welding:) and stuff so we don't get that many tests or homework:)..
that's the reason i play alot, and i like hacking and do stuff with my consoles that they weren't made to do :D so i like homebrew alot, the TP exploit is just awesome, i don't have much money, so i don't want to buy a modchip for my wii cus the TP hack is just as good (if not better:)) as the modchips for playing homebrew on the wii, and it's getting better and better too ;)

Rocksil
March 29th, 2008, 15:53
Well i try to complete as i want :P

mike_jmg
March 29th, 2008, 15:59
You guessed it, we've got another round of TUD, (aka Tell Us Dammit) coming your way. For those not in the known, Tell us Dammit is our opportunity to learn more about you reader person. That way we can feel closer! And perhaps, even for a fleeting second, feel kinda bad when we ban your ass. Here's how it works: We ask a question. You answer it. So! This week, the TUD Giraffe asks:
http://kotaku.com/373697/do-you-finish-every-game-you-buy

LOL:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

LOL

ok, no, I don't finish every game I buy, sometimes I get stuck and after many many tries, I throw it away.

I only finish it when I really like it

Steely
March 29th, 2008, 16:27
Up until the first few years of owning a Gamecube, I've beaten almost all of my games with 100% completion(all NES titles, SNES and N64, but I was missing a few trophies in Melee). Lately, my brother's been buying so many games that I can't complete them all, especially perfectly. Also ofcourse I'm much more busy than I was.

I have about 80 Gamecube games(~60 actually beatable, the other are collections, etc.) And I've probably beat about 40 of them. Maybe only 30-ish perfectly, though. For example, I've beat Donkey Konga 1,2 and DK Jungle Beat all perfectly, but I'm missing some stars in Mario Sunshine(That's when I was into sucking everything out of games, but Mario Sunshine got too hard, and I just couldn't do it). On my Wii, I've barely beat any of my games. I've beat Galaxy perfectly, but there's SSX Blur, Ghost Squad, MoH:Heroes 2.. Too much to keep up with. I've also beat Guitar Hero 3, but I'm stuck on the last song in Expert.

As for DS, I usually play a game for a bit, then I'm not too fond of playing it too long. Like Phantom Hourglass which I still haven't played. The DS games that I always play through, however, are the Phoenix Wright games.

It used to almost be a personal rule to beat every game, but I just don't have the time anymore.

SSaxdude
March 29th, 2008, 16:33
I don't finish all my games. There are games which I buy and play through multiple times before finishing another game (Bioshock, Gears of War, Jet Grind Radio come to mind). I've probably finished JGR at least 8 times. I also play a lot more online games. Right now I mainly play Call of Duty 4.

Iceman^2
March 29th, 2008, 16:49
I must own close to 800 games now, and I don't think I have finished even 10% of them. Some games I'll simply buy because I want to own them. Most of my favorite games (Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario) I will finish to completion. Other games I'll get really far and then quit on. I think the more games I own, the less I want to complete them and the more I want to play all of them. In order for me to complete games, I need time (which I usually don't have a lot of).

brandon2009
March 29th, 2008, 17:30
i'm new here

quzar
March 29th, 2008, 18:35
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101044

Pilot_51
March 29th, 2008, 19:07
I'm a huge PC and DS gamer and I finish most of my games, but for those that I haven't finished yet I make it sort of a long-term goal to eventually finish. I avoid using guides or cheats as much as possible, but if it's down to being stuck and never finishing it or using a guide, I'd go for the guide, that is if I was certain I'd never finish it otherwise.

I've completed all 9 (out of 11) of my official DS games that actually can be completed.

The one that comes to mind most often is Twilight Princess. There are two reasons I haven't beat it yet: The Wii is a family console and it's not in my room or in the room where my PC is, and I like to complete all the side-quests before completing the game.
I got it as a Christmas gift shortly after my family got the Wii which was a few weeks after it released.

I got stuck very close to the end of Link's Awakening (Gameboy) after playing through it twice and sort of gave up.
I'm just borrowing it from my sister until she wants it back, which could be awhile and the fact that I haven't had it for very long (compared to some 15 years that she's had it) might be why I haven't finished it yet.

I've barely even touched the single player in Raven Shield because I'm so hooked on the multiplayer.
I bought it for about $8 some 3 or 4 years ago.

I bought Command & Conquer: The First Decade about a year ago and completed Generals and Zero Hour, but I still need to work on all the earlier games, which is like 10 of them. I plan to go from the original C&C and work my way up. I'd say the main reason I haven't put much work in it is because the original C&C has a buggy mouse in XP.

I bought the original Quake recently because of QuakeDS, but I haven't put much effort into completing it either on PC or DS.

Most of the other games I own that I haven't completed are either old games that were given to me and I haven't touched or free games (mods, open source, etc.).

Out of my entire collection, I'd say I've completed about 90% of my games. I'm sort of cutting back on buying new games so I can complete the ones I still need to complete and because my support for mods and open source games has been increasing.

Triv1um
March 29th, 2008, 22:11
Games I like, I finish.

I'm always getting really good game, then buying another, then forgeting about the one I replaced.

alanparker05
March 29th, 2008, 23:36
the last new game i bought was 9 years ago and that was final fantasy 7 that was because i borrowed it and got obsessed, now i either rent, borrow or download and if i like it enough to complete it then want to play it again i will buy it secondhand

theotherfreakyguy
March 30th, 2008, 05:12
I often don't finish games when I'm stick on one obstacle- heck, the only games I remember finishing are the pokemon ones (not 100% pokedex) and Zelda Windwaker. Stuck on practically all of my games- or rather, just don't feel like playing them. However, when I do play them, I realize how much fun they are. Strange, innit?

B-Z 52
March 30th, 2008, 05:52
i would pass my games if i really want to know what happens in the end like gta or if the game isnt good and its hard then i would just give up or take a long break for like a week

tuddy
March 30th, 2008, 18:08
I'll admit I've completed almost every game I've owned up to the ending screen, but hardly ever any further than that. I think the last game I completed 100% was Ratchet and Clank. Though there are some games which I cannot be bothered to complete 'til the ending screen; usually due to time constraints. I'm yet to play HL2- episodes 1 and 2 despite completing HL2 sometime last year, though that's due to plain laziness and waiting for episode 3 (then I'll play the lot in one session).

Triv1um
March 30th, 2008, 20:10
I'm yet to play HL2- episodes 1 and 2 despite completing HL2 sometime last year, though that's due to plain laziness and waiting for episode 3 (then I'll play the lot in one session).

Im on Episode 1 at the moment, it not as good as HL2 yet.

Ive heard Episode 2 is the big cheese though. When is Episode 3 out? Will there be a PS3 release, because im playing it on Orange Box.

xzentrico
March 31st, 2008, 00:18
I finish every game I play, but not up to 100% (collect things and stuff like that).

Shrygue
March 31st, 2008, 15:29
Note sure but I'd finish most games. Though one of the things I tend to end up doing is buy the game and put it away somewhere for about 3 months before I even start to play it. It's usually the case when I'm busy going through another one or if I have other things to do.