PDA

View Full Version : Sony to charge for PSP downloads in 2006?

wraggster
September 1st, 2005, 22:39
Source - Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/01/news_6132384.html)

Yesterday at the Game Developers Conference Europe, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe vice president Phil Harrison largely dispelled fears that the PlayStation 3 would come in multiple SKU models. Though he didn't entirely rule out the possibility, he said it would be "confusing" for the consumer and pooh-poohed the Xbox 360 two-tiered sales strategy.

But not all of Harrison's words were as comforting. In fact, many gamers were made downright nervous by the executive's comments on his company's portable, the PSP. He revealed that, having used the free downloads of Wipeout Pure as a test case, Sony would be moving to a pay-per-download model for extra content next year. "It's an experiment which has turned out to be a good experiment," he told UK-based Edge magazine.

Edge also quotes Harrison as saying that Sony is in the process of setting up a digital rights management system for PSP content. Like iTunes, this system will allow gamers to pay for content once and download it multiple times. While Harrison didn't identify what kind of content would be available for download, it would presumably be similar to the Wipeout Pure content, which included new vehicles, levels, and menu skins

Velo
September 1st, 2005, 23:20
Sony better make these downloads worthwhile. I knew something was fishy about the whole wipeout pure thing. I would pay a buck or two for like 100-200 extra weapons or monsters in games like untold legends, but I know Sony isn't prepared to offer that kind of deal...

Although, Sony is kinda knee deep in debt from the production of the PSP and is probably going to add alittle something onto everything. Hell I could even see Sony tacking on a price to thier Firmware Updates if it adds something useful.

Gamelver
September 2nd, 2005, 00:28
if they DO make us pay for firmware upgrades, then that'll only make us less likely to upgrade and play newer psp games rather than emulators ;)...

WSOUNitePirate895
September 2nd, 2005, 00:59
GRRRR..... OFFICIALY PI$$ED WITH $ONY, WHY?!?! I thought Ga$ Price$ wa$ the only thing that could get wor$t in thi$ world :mad: GRRRR...

Cap'n 1time
September 2nd, 2005, 03:08
GRRRR..... OFFICIALY PI$$ED WITH $ONY, WHY?!?! I thought Ga$ Price$ wa$ the only thing that could get wor$t in thi$ world :mad: GRRRR...

Gas was $4 in Georgia! FOUR! you read right.. what i say we storm the refineries, and then we storm sony's headquarters!!!

Renzatic
September 2nd, 2005, 06:27
Was? Still is...and it's going up 10 cents come 6 AM.

chrisvenn
September 2nd, 2005, 12:12
I dont like that idea of having to pay, they shouldnt charge they should include it all in the game when it gets released not realse half a game and make u buy the other half when they have finished it