PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Hello World Homebrew Method Found, works with fw 2.20

dragula96
March 31st, 2008, 09:18
so iv found a way to program homebrew to the ps3.
took me all day to get it to work but here is a Hello world proof of concept.

its a short video, i can not share how it is done at the moment, i still need more testing, and i need to see if i can actually get a game of pong working. :thumbup:
I will share the method and source code in time.
this does not require any hardware modification.
this method has been tested on a ps3 60 gig and a ps3 40 gig, both of which have current 2.20 firmware.
both are retail models, not development models!

In the video, you can see some tape on my tv, that is to hide mac and ip addresses.

there are no cuts in video at all.

I have spent somewhere around 9 hours to get this working. and i hope you guys don't think this is a fake, i have a good reputation in the psp scene. I would not release something if it was fake (even if it is close to April Fools Day).

i do not know the extent of which the discovery will let me program, but i seriously doubt this will lead to any iso loader, it does however have the potential of enabling homebrew game programming i believe.:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/v/SOljyBuNKxI

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/playstation/PS3_Hello_World_Homebrew_Method_Found)

nomi
March 31st, 2008, 12:05
Im not sure what to believe.. but i don't think ill believe anything about PS3 homebrew untill there is a actual release and its confirmed to work.

Triv1um
March 31st, 2008, 12:56
Interesting.. Is that UTIII font?

Is this in the UTIII game? Mod hack?

Im not sure to believe this, I think it needs better filming in a light room.

Ive heard of your name though, So i get the feeling this could be legit.

Cloudhunter
March 31st, 2008, 13:22
Sorry dragula96, but this video proves nothing at all. And it is wholely unconvincing. You should also wait until after April Fools. Your credibility would then increase 10 fold.

Cloudy

DPyro
March 31st, 2008, 14:59
Why don't you port TetriAbetes to the PS3 :)

F9zDark
March 31st, 2008, 15:26
I am not doubting you, but why not at least give us some indication as to how you got this to work (any exploits used, like for instance the Resistance exploit that Team ICE discovered) or if you found one of your own.

At least then we'd have something to try for ourselves to see if we can get the exploit working in the first place, or at least have some clue as to what is required, should this become the foundation of the PS3 Homebrew Scene.

Why do I ask? Because if its a game that you're using to exploit the system, Sony will ask the company to update the game, as well as put out an update to the firmware. Having solid proof of how this exploit works, allows users to take the necessary steps to ensure they have all the necessities for this exploit and ensure they have no reason to update the PS3 or Games required by the exploit.

wraggster
March 31st, 2008, 19:44
i do hope that it works on a 20GB PS3 too , im too tight to buy a 80GB PS3 :)

kohan69
April 1st, 2008, 04:17
roxio viral markettting ad?
:shrug:

elauzel
April 1st, 2008, 05:14
I was referred here by another site, and went and registered just so that I could ask you this:

Please, please. Make a video that doesn't suck. Keep the camera still, have it focused on the tv, get rid of the horrible noise in the background, and then show it again.

Just....Jesus.

It'll up your credibility too.

If I had done something awesome that noone else had done before, I would at least make sure the video wasn't complete fail.

LexicallyDamned
April 1st, 2008, 05:15
I've noticed that some other websites have got this marked as fake, and with some apparent "proof."

I'm not sure what to believe until we hear more from Dragula96. I'd personally like to see this be real, and get the real code for it, as I'd really like to get into software hacks such as this one purports to be, and it'd be a good starting point.

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 07:42
before i begin i would like to straighten a few things out if i may(i hope its ok to do it here).

before i reveal what my project is, I'd like to say what it is not:

I never said it was an Exploit
I never said it was unsigned code
I never said it was coded in C/C++
I never said it was an elf file nor a binary file

I did state that i found a way to program homebrew to the ps3.

and i did say i had a hello world proof of concept.

i did say it was a discovery and a method.
and that it works on retail ps3s with firmware 2.20

some people were claiming that i said that i dont have a make file and that i compile my code with the make command

well i don't have a make fille and i do compile using the make command

as for the printf("hello,world"); statement they made, it's true, i did send them that file, i made it in a few seconds because they woulden't leave me alone, they were badgering me "send me what you have NOW" they said, so i just jokeinly sent them a fake main.c file. i knew they were up to something. once they saw i wasent going to give them the source or info, they got mad and posted it as a negative to try and disprove me.

i think that about covers it.

i was going to release this over at the qj.net forum, but my thread got closed for the second time thanks to DFS mod over there. ohh well their loss. its not like they won't grab the file anyway, if they do i expect an apology.

ok well here is the new video, and i have exclusively uploaded the file and source to dcemo.co.uk servers via this thread AND NOWHERE ELSE :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWy0hNQQCP0

and yes it is done via a UT3 mod
going back to what i had said earlyer about make files and the make command
unrealscript compiler dont use make files from users, and i believe the command to "make" is "...UT3.exe" make

here is the read me: :thumbup:

ps3 hello world by dragula96 4.1.08
this is a proof of concept/hello world
this already works with firmware version 2.20
the idea is to use this method to try and code
games to play via the ps3.
this file was only originally uploaded to www.dcemo.co.uk
everyone else grabbed it from there.
------------------------------
requirements to run:
Unreal Tournament 3 for ps3 v 1.10 i belive(maybe 1.20)
which ever is most current as of this date.

requirements to code:
Unreal Tournament 3 for ps3 and PC
must know how to compile UnrealScript and "cook" mods for ps3

Installation:
place the USERDATA.JAM file on the root directory of a usb memory stick
then add mod via UT3 on ps3 the normal way you would any other mod
start up an instant match, set opponents to 0, select mutator option
go down the list select Hello World, run game.
hud will be replaced by hello world screen.

and that's how its done.

so with that out of the way, ill be happy to answer any questions, take comments, and such.
thank you for your time and have a great April Fools day.

dtom2444
April 1st, 2008, 08:24
...wow

tjken33
April 1st, 2008, 08:27
Good job with all that tech mumbo jumbo. I for one was entertained by all the he said/she said. Its true u didnt say all those things about "exploit" this "hack" that. People just blew it all out of proportion. I may just pick up UIII just to try sum of this stuff. Good work :thumbup:

lmtlmt
April 1st, 2008, 09:03
what a coincidence, i bought unreal tournament 3 on the weekend...

seasidebaz
April 1st, 2008, 09:08
well done. you missed april fool's day by an ENTIRE DAY.

read a calendar before doing it next year...

;)

lmtlmt
April 1st, 2008, 09:35
I have spent somewhere around 9 hours to get this working. and i hope you guys don't think this is a fake, i have a good reputation in the psp scene. I would not release something if it was fake (even if it is close to April Fools Day).

ok

senas8
April 1st, 2008, 10:14
Great Job keep up the great work:dragula96

blakey87_1
April 1st, 2008, 10:26
Good luck, do you think you will be releasing a simple pong or anything?

senas8
April 1st, 2008, 12:17
Yeah that would be a Plus+ for us. :)

FreePlay
April 1st, 2008, 12:19
Of course he won't. The "Hello World" is just an image floating in an empty Unreal Tournament 3 level.

There goes your credibility!

Oh, and don't whine about getting your thread closed on QJ. You were telling several people they'd have to donate to you to get the code. Extortion doesn't go so smoothly over there.

senas8
April 1st, 2008, 12:34
Of course he won't. The "Hello World" is just an image floating in an empty Unreal Tournament 3 level.

Oh, and don't whine about getting your thread closed on QJ. You were telling several people they'd have to donate to you to get the code. Extortion doesn't go so smoothly over there.

So can't we get a few more images floating around making a simple pong game or anything else? Dragula...can you give instructions to that image? tell it to bounce, move left to right etc.?

FreePlay
April 1st, 2008, 12:40
It wouldn't be homebrew, would it? It'd be a UT3 mod.

senas8
April 1st, 2008, 12:48
Yeah I see your point there FreePlay, but pong as a UT3 mod works for me....because that would mean tetris UT3 mod, etc

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 13:42
Good luck, do you think you will be releasing a simple pong or anything?

ill try, first thing to do is learn how to make an object in OOP, i looked into it yesterday but i just dont have time this week.

also the hello world draws on the hud, we need to find somewhere else to draw that takes control inputs, like a menu.

thats where the fun will realy begin.

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 13:52

isen't that how homebrew games are made? you get a bunch of images put them on a screen and then tell them how to act in code.

bah
April 1st, 2008, 14:09
I agree with FreePlay.

This is not real homebrew (any more than a flash game on the PSP web browser is real homebrew), its not a true hello world in the sense that it isn't a discovery of how to run your own code on the system.

I know that a hello world is just a simple program that they teach newbie programmers but when you say you have a 'hello world' on the ps3 then average people are going to assume you mean a real exploit running unofficial code.

It's just scripting/a mod for a game on the system that is designed to allow scripting/mods.

If you found a buffer overflow exploit in the game, made it crash then were able to execute your own code with useful privileges then that would be something.

'Example of how to show text with a UT3 mod' would be a much less misleading thread title.

Don't get the kiddies hopes up....

blakey87_1
April 1st, 2008, 14:19
ill try, first thing to do is learn how to make an object in OOP, i looked into it yesterday but i just dont have time this week.

also the hello world draws on the hud, we need to find somewhere else to draw that takes control inputs, like a menu.

thats where the fun will realy begin.

Cool sounds promising keep up it up, hopefully others will try getting something out of this

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 14:22
I agree with FreePlay.

This is not real homebrew (any more than a flash game on the PSP web browser is real homebrew), its not a true hello world in the sense that it isn't a discovery of how to run your own code on the system.

I know that a hello world is just a simple program that they teach newbie programmers but when you say you have a 'hello world' on the ps3 then average people are going to assume you mean a real exploit running unofficial code.

It's just scripting/a mod for a game on the system that is designed to allow scripting/mods.

If you found a buffer overflow exploit in the game, made it crash then were able to execute your own code with useful privileges then that would be something.

'Example of how to show text with a UT3 mod' would be a much less misleading thread title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_%28video_games%29

"Homebrew is a term frequently applied only to video games that are produced by consumers on proprietary game platforms; in other words, game platforms that are not typically user-programmable, or use proprietary hardware for storage. Sometimes games developed on official development kits, such as Net Yaroze or PS2 Linux, are included in the definition."

bah
April 1st, 2008, 14:27
That's not a retort to people's points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28computer_gaming%29#Mod-Friendliness_of_Games

Its a feature of official tools for the game to create user content (a mod), not real (standalone) homebrew. You could make that a lot clearer, especially in your thread naming.

If sony allows UT3 to support mods, then why mention it runs on certain PS3 firmwares? As if it was what people expect from a thread topic like that: a possible exploit to run unsigned code.

F9zDark
April 1st, 2008, 15:48
I agree with FreePlay.

Well, I tend to agree on some level; it is a mod for UT3; but in the same vein this may be a really good shot at discovering a potential exploit (run some code that crashes UT3 or the PS3 for instance).

The immediate benefit of using a game like UT3 is that the PS3 is already in a "game-environment mode" (I don't know if there are any differences like there are on the PSP, like User and Kernel modes) and it may in fact be a lot easier to run code in this mode (since the PS3 is already running code on a signed application; mind you this is how some of the exploits worked on the PSP initially with GTA LCS).

But hey, if people started programming UT3 mods to be like homebrew games and included a starter menu with a file browser to choose which "games" we want to play, I'd be happy to use it.

Triv1um
April 1st, 2008, 16:01
Woah, I was right? Its a UTIII mod? :D

Sousanator
April 1st, 2008, 16:08
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_%28video_games%29

"Homebrew is a term frequently applied only to video games that are produced by consumers on proprietary game platforms; in other words, game platforms that are not typically user-programmable, or use proprietary hardware for storage. Sometimes games developed on official development kits, such as Net Yaroze or PS2 Linux, are included in the definition."
Thats like saying loading a html file from your memory stick on the web browser is homebrew.

When I saw the video, I discussed it with one of my friends. We could easily tell it had the UT3 font, and it was a simple conclusion you just imported a mod. I was even tempted to just recreate it, but it was a waste of my time. In no way is that a true hello world.

I'm sorry, but to me you have lost your credibility.

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 16:10
That's not a retort to people's points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28computer_gaming%29#Mod-Friendliness_of_Games

Its a feature of official tools for the game to create user content (a mod), not real (standalone) homebrew. You could make that a lot clearer, especially in your thread naming.

If sony allows UT3 to support mods, then why mention it runs on certain PS3 firmwares? As if it was what people expect from a thread topic like that: a possible exploit to run unsigned code.

the topic reads "works" with fw 2.20 because it does, i dont know if it works on any other fw because i have not tested it, so i can not say it works on all fw.
i never said it "ran".

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 16:12
Thats like saying loading a html file from your memory stick on the web browser is homebrew.

When I saw the video, I discussed it with one of my friends. We could easily tell it had the UT3 font, and it was a simple conclusion you just imported a mod. I was even tempted to just recreate it, but it was a waste of my time. In no way is that a true hello world.

I'm sorry, but to me you have lost your credibility.

lol. spoken like a true person that is just waiting for an iso loader. ;)

Cloudhunter
April 1st, 2008, 16:13
i was going to release this over at the qj.net forum, but my thread got closed for the second time thanks to DFS mod over there. ohh well their loss. its not like they won't grab the file anyway, if they do i expect an apology.

I'm sorry, but you are a really big ass. You've done nothing but be evasive and disrespectful. The mods closed the topic in order to stop the flood of flaming that was threatening to happen - TO PROTECT YOU.

Look what the mod posted.

I'm closing this, and if Dragula wants to release the code, then he can contact a mod and get it re-opened...

Until then, I'm going to stop the spam.

You have every chance to re-open the thread (although I don't see why you should - this is a piece of bovine excrement.) - all you have to do is message a mod or admin. Don't treat other people like crap unnecessarily.

I know you thought you were a "respected" coder - but your credibility has just dropped sub-zero. You could have released the information straight away if you wanted to, yet you wanted to pull a stupid April Fools joke - and you still profess your 'innocence' - as if you didn't know that it'd be misleading.

Also, word to the wise. Wikipedia articles can be edited by anyone. So flouting Wikipedia as "gospel truth" just makes you look more of a moron than you already look.

Cloudy

Edit: As usual, I can't say it any better than Nevada on QJ.

look, i'll be as blunt as possible with you.
you are throwing away any credibility you gained as a 'developer' with all your work on the psp, for the sake of a really ****ty, transparent joke that none but the lamest of new***s would find remotely amusing, you may think it's clever and cool to play practical jokes, but ultimately if you drag this out any further without coming clean, the only thing people will think of you, is that you're a time wasting noob.

Edit (again):

lol. spoken like a true person that is just waiting for an iso loader. ;)

What? He was respectful to you (and actually spoke alot of truth), and you accuse him of being a pirate? Where the f*ck is your head at? You need to get a reality check.

DPyro
April 1st, 2008, 16:13
If you can manage to run some type of menu and/or emulator etc then it is homebrew. Otherwise it's about as good as running LUA.

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 16:16
If you can manage to run some type of menu and/or emulator etc then it is homebrew. Otherwise it's about as good as running LUA.

woah , i dident know you could run LUA on a ps3 :eek:

Cloudhunter
April 1st, 2008, 16:27
woah , i dident know you could run LUA on a ps3 :eek:

What's that sound I hear? Oh yeah, it's the sound of whats left of your credibility flying out of the window. Say goodbye to it - it's unlikely that you'll see it again for a while...

Cloudy

nomi
April 1st, 2008, 16:48
Oh cmon cut Dragula some slack, all he was trying to do, is pull off a funny April fools joke, you don't have to crazy on him!

Cloudhunter
April 1st, 2008, 16:53
Oh cmon cut Dragula some slack, all he was trying to do, is pull off a funny April fools joke, you don't have to crazy on him!

An April Fool's joke is one thing - but the way he's been treating people about it is disgraceful. I mean, he at least could have made it convincing, and admit when he's been ousted. Even now he has yet to acknowledge it was an April Fools joke :)

Cloudy

DPyro
April 1st, 2008, 16:57
There have been enough fake "Hello World" exploits for PS3. The last thing we need is someone hyping another exploit only to find out it is fake.

Sonicboy 101
April 1st, 2008, 17:01
You can't sum it up better than this.

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/img/facepalm.jpeg

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 17:24
hmm, you guys just don't see the potential of what EPIC games has allowed us to do on the ps3 via the ps3tool they provided us.

depending on what can be done with the unrealscript, i dont see why we can't see awsome games like "mario dont drop my ps3" running on the system.(weather its coded in c/c++, LUA, or UnrealScript, it will still be mario dont drop my ps3).

and this is not realy an april fool's joke. i just played-up the idea since everyone was saying it was.

untill my video showed up on youtube,no one had thought making anyting other then content for UT3 with the PS3tool.
I saw beyond this, and was able to read up on unrealscript and get a little hello world working.
soon i will get more then that working maybe a bouncing ball on screen.
then after that a controlable paddle.
after that an ai scripted paddle on the other side of the screen.

stuff like creating a 3d room with a fixed camera view from the top working together with urealscript arrays could lead to something like a 3d tetris(Unreal Tetris?) with UT3 sounds and partical effects.

i personaly dont like UnrealScript that much, i am a Doom3 script guy myself.
but then again doom3 is not on the ps3 and does not allow me to run scripts :(

Of course, i expected all this negative feed back because people have been waiting so long for a way to run emulators and iso loaders and such, were expecting to much of this, and i clearnly stated from the very begining it was not going to be the case.

To all those who see this potential,
you guys are the ones that understand what this is all about :)
it is about homebrew games.
not hacks,exploits,emulaters,iso loaders,file managment systems,mp3 players,blu-ray hacks.
just GAMES, for the love of GAMES.

bah
April 1st, 2008, 17:40
You sound like a technical version of an epic marketing rep.

Of course you can create things for a game that is designed to allow user-created content modifications (mods).

A 'hello world' when used in the context of news for a console that cannot currently run unofficial code is newsworthy because it is used as a demonstration that someone has put in the work to find code to exploit that allows unsigned code to be run and they are demonstrating that.
Seeing the words 'hello world' being displayed by the console is not the point of the release.

Mods with all sorts of gameplay not intended by the makers of the original title exist for pc games. If a console game allows mods then it is the same thing: It's judged on the direct entertainment value of the particular mod, not the technical achievement of being able to mod the game.

People are already aware that user created mods can be made for a games that are designed to support them. Creating a mod that just displays 'hello world' is not really needed.

tjken33
April 1st, 2008, 17:48
All i can say is drac do your thing. Even tho it was bad timing and/or bad usage of the phase "hello world", I hope you continue your development of mods for UTIII. Sounds like you got some good ideas.

dragula96
April 1st, 2008, 18:07
All i can say is drac do your thing. Even tho it was bad timing and/or bad usage of the phase "hello world", I hope you continue your development of mods for UTIII. Sounds like you got some good ideas.

ok maybe your right, but i did not have plans on releasing a hello world app in the first place, i wanted to make a small game fist, but i kept being called a fake, so i decided to release what i had.

and thats why i wanted to wait, but cause this does not do it justice... but ohh well.

ill see if i can get more stuff going.

and i appologise if i was rude earlyer, and did lead people into thinking it was unsigned code. that was not my intention.

iv been under a lot of stress lately, and might have said somethings i shouldent have and probably went about the whole thing the wrong way.

i guess i just got to excited. I apologise for my rudeness and cockyness.

peroxide14
April 1st, 2008, 18:23
ok maybe your right, but i did not have plans on releasing a hello world app in the first place, i wanted to make a small game fist, but i kept being called a fake, so i decided to release what i had.

and thats why i wanted to wait, but cause this does not do it justice... but ohh well.

ill see if i can get more stuff going.

and i appologise if i was rude earlyer, and did lead people into thinking it was unsigned code. that was not my intention.

iv been under a lot of stress lately, and might have said somethings i shouldent have and probably went about the whole thing the wrong way.

i guess i just got to excited. I apologise for my rudeness and cockyness.

Don't aplologize. Why don't you all shut the f*ck up, seriously. I don't see ANY of you creating some hack for the ps3, atleast dragula attempted something. It's a start to homebrew, if you want to crash the game and run unassigned code, nobody's stopping you, go ahead but don't expect somebody else just to code it.

senas8
April 1st, 2008, 18:41
Don't aplologize. Why don't you all shut the f*ck up, seriously. I don't see ANY of you creating some hack for the ps3, atleast dragula attempted something. It's a start to homebrew, if you want to crash the game and run unassigned code, nobody's stopping you, go ahead but don't expect somebody else just to code it.

Yeah! I can tell you one reason they wont...their jealous they didn't find this on their own. The best thing to do now Drag: Don't read anymore from the forums...you will have negative and positive...Just do your thing and continue dude...don't let these people get to you...and don't apologize rofl...its your work.:thumbup:

DPyro
April 1st, 2008, 18:44
Don't get you hope up people. It's merely a scripting language, which can't do anymore than scripts in a flash file.

senas8
April 1st, 2008, 18:55
Don't get you hope up people. It's merely a scripting language, which can't do anymore than scripts in a flash file.

Your Location scares me :rofl: but so did everyone know that they can temper with the UT mod and just maybe have a pong game under UT3? Or was this his discovery.... even thou its primitive?

F9zDark
April 1st, 2008, 19:21

It is a scripting language, albeit a powerful one. Depending on what we can and cannot change within UT3, this could be the door "homemade 3D games".

Mind you they will still be considered "UT3 Mods" but we have no idea what liberties are given to us. It may very well be possible to program a simple menu, that loads up a different "level" with scripted sequences that makes up a "different" game.

Looking at it from outside the code, it will seem as though we are loading up different games; in actuality it would be simply loading up different levels for UT3.

The point is, this could end up being a very cost effective, KOSHER form of "Homebrew" on the PS3.

As well, the immediate benefit of this is that we have a great 3d engine to run these games off of. Imagine, for instance, Super Mario War 3d, using UT3 on-par-graphically models of Mario, Luigi, etc, jumping about in a sort of Platformer scenario.

Mods like this exist for HL2, so they should be possible on UT3.

Again they would be mods, technically speaking, but it would give the illusion of being "homebrew" and Sony nor Epic would mind, since we aren't breaking any laws or rules or using the system in any illegal fashion.

Malarchy
April 1st, 2008, 20:56
Well, I'm not an expert coder or anything, but I couldn't help but think... Given that there is a programming language available on the PS3, even if it is only accessible through the game itself, would it be possible to script up a Process Manager, or maybe overflow processes that we might want to disable?

I really don't know much about UnrealScript or its capabilities, but I'm reasonably certain it could be done, considering that it's fairly simple to do on most other visual programming languages. Would probably just take a more accomplished programmer than me...

Even then, I'll be doing some research on the matter, and see if I can figure anything out "on my own" (cum notis variorum). Xp

G'd luck all!

dragula96
April 2nd, 2008, 00:55
i've done some re-serch today and found this:

Unreal Tetris! (http://www.moddb.com/mods/3097/tetris/images/37252/tetrsisisis)

so this is defenetly possible(maybe).
since this is done on an old unreal engine.
but this guy had the right idea :thumbup:

looks like the UTGUI is the place to "draw to".

mavsman4457
April 2nd, 2008, 01:19
You intentionally deceived everyone by not saying that it was a UT3 mod which should have been mentioned from the start. That being said, I have always had hopes of getting something out of these mods. I still wait.

dragula96
April 2nd, 2008, 01:43
You intentionally deceived everyone by not saying that it was a UT3 mod which should have been mentioned from the start. That being said, I have always had hopes of getting something out of these mods. I still wait.

well, i apologise 1000 times

void apologize(){

int i,dragula96apology;
for(i=0;i<1000;i++){
dragula69apology++;
}
}

The damage has been done.

Now that the information is out there.
its time to start working on Unreal Pong.

DarthPaul
April 2nd, 2008, 02:12
The best thing about this is that I bought a PS3 with UT3 like 3 days ago. It's the only game I currently own, but damn! What a good choice. :D

Go for it!

senas8
April 2nd, 2008, 04:42

void apologize(){

int i,dragula96apology;
for(i=0;i<1000;i++){
dragula69apology++;
}
}

HAHA... I like your sense of humor +rep.:rofl:

andwhyisit
April 2nd, 2008, 05:04

void apologize(){

int i,dragula96apology;
for(i=0;i<1000;i++){
dragula69apology++;
}
}

lol.

var acceptapology;
if (dragula69apology>=1) {
acceptapology=true;
} else {acceptapology=false}
if (acceptapology) {return("Apology accepted.");} else {return(0);}

I can really see the possibilities with this. This is the closest to homebrew on the ps3 as we can get to at the moment and it is limited so no piracy, everyone wins. :D

jamotto
April 2nd, 2008, 05:43

void apologize(){

int i,dragula96apology;
for(i=0;i<1000;i++){
dragula69apology++;
}
}

OH NOES! your function has a bug in it. You can't assume dragula96apology will start at zero.

Anyways looking forward at what simple homebrew is created with this method.

Art
April 2nd, 2008, 05:56
Yes you can, the variable is initialised in the function.

Very lame approach to release, but nice find all the same.

bah
April 2nd, 2008, 06:11
I don't see what the find is....

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PS3Mods.html
It's an advertised feature, people were complaining on the epic forums when they couldn't make mods straight away at release.

elauzel
April 2nd, 2008, 06:46
Sitting here in my chair while my laptop bakes my testicles, I will forgo the chance to vomit my impotent white rage upon you, Dragula96, and instead accept the apology with the hopes of being able to trade it in for a cookie, or at least some tickets.

jamotto
April 2nd, 2008, 06:48
Yes you can, the variable is initialised in the function.

Ok, I'll run through this real quick if you still don't agree you can PM me.

The variable i is set to 0 in the for statement. The variable dragula96apology is created, but left uninitialized.
In C, C++, etc when the variable is alloted on the stack the memory is not set to a new state, thus the variable will take the value of whatever happens to be at that memory address. Most recent compilers should report this as a compile time error.

lmtlmt
April 2nd, 2008, 06:53
I don't see what the find is....

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PS3Mods.html
It's an advertised feature, people were complaining on the epic forums when they couldn't make mods straight away at release.

mate.... thats different, those are mods like new weapons, maps, character models and game modes etc, this is something better than that.

bah
April 2nd, 2008, 07:45
No, its worse.

Mods that add something fun or totally changes the game are good, a mod that just shows 'hello world' is not. I have explained previously the point of a hello world and this is not it.

There are all sorts of mods for games that are designed to be modded (Racing game, RC plane flying game with the quake 3 mods as a basic example (http://www.moddb.com/games/4/quake-iii-arena/mods)).

It is well known that you can make total conversion mods for games that support them. Even genres that are totally different from the game the mod is based on.

So a release of a mod for it that allows different types of gameplay is cool as it has entertainment value.
A true 'hello world' for a console is cool because it has technical value (it shows that real homebrew on the system could be possible).
A mod for a mod-able game that just shows hello world has no technical value and no entertainment value.

The guy has apologised for the misleading thread and whatever actions he took on other forums so there's no need to give him any more flack, but it's still not the exciting development that you seem to think it is.

Its basically a proof of concept that mods can be made for UT3 for PS3. That is an advertised feature so a proof of concept (that it is possible) is not really needed.

potatoman
April 2nd, 2008, 10:01
What's that sound I hear? Oh yeah, it's the sound of whats left of your credibility flying out of the window. Say goodbye to it - it's unlikely that you'll see it again for a while...

Cloudy

Wow. Whts that sound I hear? Oh, just the sound of dragula gettıng PWND by cloudy. Again.
xD
Serıously tho, if this was an april fools joke: Utter Fail. You dragged it out way too long and didnt conceed when you got caught (good call by Triv BTW).
If this was a fake: Utter Fail.
You didnt even attempt to peak peoples interests, and destroyed any reputation you had as a PSP homebrew Developer while you were at it.

F9zDark
April 3rd, 2008, 04:20
No, its worse.

Mods that add something fun or totally changes the game are good, a mod that just shows 'hello world' is not. I have explained previously the point of a hello world and this is not it.

There are all sorts of mods for games that are designed to be modded (Racing game, RC plane flying game with the quake 3 mods as a basic example (http://www.moddb.com/games/4/quake-iii-arena/mods)).

It is well known that you can make total conversion mods for games that support them. Even genres that are totally different from the game the mod is based on.

So a release of a mod for it that allows different types of gameplay is cool as it has entertainment value.
A true 'hello world' for a console is cool because it has technical value (it shows that real homebrew on the system could be possible).
A mod for a mod-able game that just shows hello world has no technical value and no entertainment value.

The guy has apologised for the misleading thread and whatever actions he took on other forums so there's no need to give him any more flack, but it's still not the exciting development that you seem to think it is.

Its basically a proof of concept that mods can be made for UT3 for PS3. That is an advertised feature so a proof of concept (that it is possible) is not really needed.

Well you're right. But how many mods exist for UT3 currently? Probably many. How many of them actually try to "step outside UT3" currently? Probably none.

For that, I am thankful that, Dragula is "trying". Sure he mislead us. But who knows, maybe in a few months he'll have something really cool that is totally unlike playing UT3.

lmtlmt
April 3rd, 2008, 09:10
thats what i was getting at

Darksurf
July 23rd, 2008, 01:57
OK, first off... You guys need to quit being jackas*es
second off... Dragula its a nice find, this is a good proof of concept and that is all that is needed for someone else to get an idea that builds off of yours.

Cloudhunter, you are being a retarded flamer, knock it off. You guys don't realize this is merely proof of concept. You guys are expecting too much. Every large fire starts with a small flame. This is the whole point to opensource and homebrew. Linux just started with a small kernel, now look at the capabilities. I'm sure no one wants to use the very first linux invented, but many people use the current day's linux.

You are all being way to critical. If all you have so much time to flame, and to attack inventors, get your ass out there and invent something better if your so damn smart.:mad:

Edit: BTW, potatoman, you are no better than cloudhunter, you are also being an @55.

DPyro
July 23rd, 2008, 02:45
Don't bump old threads, this was proven fake awhile ago.