PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Hello World Homebrew Method Found, works with fw 2.20

dragula96
March 31st, 2008, 09:18
so iv found a way to program homebrew to the ps3.
took me all day to get it to work but here is a Hello world proof of concept.

its a short video, i can not share how it is done at the moment, i still need more testing, and i need to see if i can actually get a game of pong working. :thumbup:
I will share the method and source code in time.
this does not require any hardware modification.
this method has been tested on a ps3 60 gig and a ps3 40 gig, both of which have current 2.20 firmware.
both are retail models, not development models!

In the video, you can see some tape on my tv, that is to hide mac and ip addresses.

there are no cuts in video at all.

I have spent somewhere around 9 hours to get this working. and i hope you guys don't think this is a fake, i have a good reputation in the psp scene. I would not release something if it was fake (even if it is close to April Fools Day).

i do not know the extent of which the discovery will let me program, but i seriously doubt this will lead to any iso loader, it does however have the potential of enabling homebrew game programming i believe.:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/v/SOljyBuNKxI

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/playstation/PS3_Hello_World_Homebrew_Method_Found)

http://digg.com/playstation/PS3_Hello_World_Homebrew_Method_Found

nomi
March 31st, 2008, 12:05
Im not sure what to believe.. but i don't think ill believe anything about PS3 homebrew untill there is a actual release and its confirmed to work.

Triv1um
March 31st, 2008, 12:56
Interesting.. Is that UTIII font?

Is this in the UTIII game? Mod hack?

Im not sure to believe this, I think it needs better filming in a light room.

Ive heard of your name though, So i get the feeling this could be legit.

Cloudhunter
March 31st, 2008, 13:22
Sorry dragula96, but this video proves nothing at all. And it is wholely unconvincing. You should also wait until after April Fools. Your credibility would then increase 10 fold.

Cloudy

DPyro
March 31st, 2008, 14:59
Why don't you port TetriAbetes to the PS3 :)

F9zDark
March 31st, 2008, 15:26
I am not doubting you, but why not at least give us some indication as to how you got this to work (any exploits used, like for instance the Resistance exploit that Team ICE discovered) or if you found one of your own.

At least then we'd have something to try for ourselves to see if we can get the exploit working in the first place, or at least have some clue as to what is required, should this become the foundation of the PS3 Homebrew Scene.

Why do I ask? Because if its a game that you're using to exploit the system, Sony will ask the company to update the game, as well as put out an update to the firmware. Having solid proof of how this exploit works, allows users to take the necessary steps to ensure they have all the necessities for this exploit and ensure they have no reason to update the PS3 or Games required by the exploit.

MicroNut
March 31st, 2008, 16:30
I think you should wait as long as possible.
Refine your work as much as you can.
Don't say anything about what you are doing until:
1. You cannot go any further with the work.
2. The exploit no longer works with a given firmware.
Any exploit like this should be given as much room to work on the highest firmware available.
Good Luck!

dragula96
March 31st, 2008, 16:50
I think you should wait as long as possible.
Refine your work as much as you can.
Don't say anything about what you are doing until:
1. You cannot go any further with the work.
2. The exploit no longer works with a given firmware.
Any exploit like this should be given as much room to work on the highest firmware available.
Good Luck!

yes, this is correct, this is why i do not reveal the way i was able to write my own code.

i see this mistake made alot in the psp scene, an exploit is found way too early and is not kept so it is patched in the later firmware.

this however is different, even though it could technectly be patched in through a firmware update, it has very high probability it wont even after the method is reveald, since it pretty much has zero chance of making an iso loader or any low level programming of sorts, is 100% legal and requires no tampering with hardware whats so ever.

i wish i had something else other then a hello world to show, i know the video looks if-y, but then again all videos do right?
i guess a video is better then a picture thats for sure.

i am still having troubble with the code, since this method is new to me, im still trying to figure stuff out.

ill try and have a "bouncing ball" demo for my next video.

i still dont know if i am able to code control reading to move stuff around with the controller.

i guess i got a lot of studding and work to do still :eek:

Aryn
March 31st, 2008, 17:26
"...since it pretty much has zero chance of making an iso loader or any low level programming of sorts, is 100% legal..."

Do you actually think SONY cares about that? An exploit found on a console system is often followed by emulators and game ports, and that would take away from some game sales to begin with. Not too much, but being a high end, high value business, with a lot of shareholders, they would want to keep increasing their profit margin. Even if SONY did not care about that they would have to try to block unsigned code in order to keep other console/game developers from suing them over the fact that people are running copyrightes games on their system without consent. Of course an ISO loader would eventually be developed somehow, causing game developers to be more reluctant to create games for the PS3. It will be the same drama we deal with in the PSP scene all over again.

borgqueenx
March 31st, 2008, 20:15
dont release the code!!! else a new firmware will come the day after you release it.

JKKDARK
March 31st, 2008, 20:40
Very interesting. dragula96, I wish you can get success and later share it with all the community :)

pibs
March 31st, 2008, 22:15
Hope we get more details on this exploit :D

Triggerman
March 31st, 2008, 22:28
I assure you - nothing will come out of this, ever. ^^

Squid_Lord
March 31st, 2008, 22:49
it's good and all that you show us a video of you in the "Hello World" thing, and exiting to it's XMB, but i'd like to see it launched from the XMB, unless of course launching it requires one of your secrets for this launching of code

mavsman4457
March 31st, 2008, 22:56
I want to believe it but there is no way to without running it on my own PS3, and that's the way it should be. Any video can be picked apart but none can be proven true so there's no point in trying to do either at this point (although someone has suggested that it may have been in a game where images can be loaded like SKATE). Just sit back and don't expect an exploit then be surprised if one comes up on your PS3. I hate this guessing game that we have to play.

Edit: Oh and as I'm sure dragula knows, which is why I am even more suspicious, any exploit will be patched whether it can run ISO's or not. And I know I said I wouldn't try to prove this wrong but this is just some more food for thought. First dragula said he thought it could run some low level programming then in his second post he said it couldn't even do that, thus making it useless to us. Anyways, I'm just throwing that stuff out there, I don't mean to hate on dragula but I just want to share my thoughts, and for the record I don't believe this video is real or fake. I will choose real or fake when I get a file.

DarthPaul
March 31st, 2008, 23:16
All I can do right now is... wish you good luck with whatever you're doing, dragula. :)

I guess I bought the PS3 just in time.

Again, Good luck! ;)

Gene
March 31st, 2008, 23:21
Interesting times, this 21st century. We are all waiting for something big, and this might be it.

Avenyet
March 31st, 2008, 23:54
wow dude if this is real congrats

but keep it quite for now wait for sony to release 2.30 first

its about time we got some custom firmware and homebrew for the PS3 :D

but if this is a joke then I will personally come to ur house a blow up for lying PS3

juiceface
April 1st, 2008, 00:03
realease it only to the belivers, anyone who's doubted you does'nt deserve to have this

andwhyisit
April 1st, 2008, 02:13
i do not know the extent of which the discovery will let me program, but i seriously doubt this will lead to any iso loader, it does however have the potential of enabling homebrew game programming i believe.:thumbup:
If you make custom firmware for the PS3 then make it specifically block iso loading and have it that homebrew apps cannot read from a disk to stop disk burning as well. With both you and sony against them the pirates will have no hope. :D

You need to be serious when it comes to the consequences arising from this because if you do this incorrectly you could destroy Sony. The iso loading will be hard to block out, try making anything over a certain size be unreadable by the ps3 or any program and have a RAM limit for homebrew as well.

You may also want to consider that the only gain from this homebrew wise is emulators, most people don't use the full power of the psp for homebrew games and apps let alone the ps3.

mike_jmg
April 1st, 2008, 02:57
Nice, I hope you can make it

mavsman4457
April 1st, 2008, 04:17
realease it only to the belivers, anyone who's doubted you does'nt deserve to have this

I strongly disagree. It's the blind followers that ruin the hopes of homebrewers by allowing fakes to come through and giving them all the faith in the world. Videos should be questioned and critiqued. Nothing should be taken as fact until it is played on your PS3. That's why I don't believe MGS4 is even coming out. :)

Edit: Ok this thread is a post about a rumor so here is a rumor that this hello world is fake. This is from a moderator over at PS3hax.net and supposedly someone had a chat with dragula about this and blah blah blah. Anyways, it did seem a little bit sketchy that this lua coder made a hello world for PS3 the day before April Fools day. If this is true then it is certainly grounds for a permanent ban. Anyways, here's what was posted:

RichDevX has spoken to Dragula96 on his "exploit", and it would seem he unfortunately has no idea what he is doing (is most likely a April Fools prank). For those who say that dragulat96's is a talented PSP coder, and indeed is from his past apps; please know that his PSP apps are coded in LUA (not C). You can't create LUA scripts for PS3 as you need an application to run the script.

Originally Posted by RichDevX

Based on the code he gave me there are many mistakes, meaning he doesn't have an understanding of the C language.

//ps3 hello world by dragula96

int main(){
printf("hello ps3 world, from dragula96");

return 0;
}

First mistake, no includes were added. The second mistake is that he didn't define printf as that isn't a command. Third, in his video he has a custom font which isn't a Sony debug font. He may be a lua coder but from experience I can tell you that he doesn't know how to code in C.

Here's a little section of the chat log.

Me: how do u make the makefile for this?
Dragula96: make file is compiled in pc
Me: what's the content in your makefile
Dragula96: i dont have one
Me: Dragula what is the command you used to compile it?
SilentTigeR: ^^
Dragula96: windows xp
Me: command
Dragula96: make
Me: just make?
Me: you're funny
Dragula96: make ps3 hello world?
Me: funny, I never thought you could use the make command unless you had a makefile
Dragula96: you guys are funny

This is most likely a UT3 mod than anything else.

LexicallyDamned
April 1st, 2008, 05:39
I've noticed that some other websites have got this marked as fake, and with some apparent "proof."

I'm not sure what to believe until we hear more from Dragula96. I'd personally like to see this be the real deal.

Also a couple of questions, why does this thread even exist in PSP news (as it is related to the PS3)? And also, any pointers for how to get into console hacks like this? No flames please.

andwhyisit
April 1st, 2008, 06:35
I strongly disagree. It's the blind followers that ruin the hopes of homebrewers by allowing fakes to come through and giving them all the faith in the world. Videos should be questioned and critiqued. Nothing should be taken as fact until it is played on your PS3. That's why I don't believe MGS4 is even coming out. :)

Edit: Ok this thread is a post about a rumor so here is a rumor that this hello world is fake. This is from a moderator over at PS3hax.net and supposedly someone had a chat with dragula about this and blah blah blah. Anyways, it did seem a little bit sketchy that this lua coder made a hello world for PS3 the day before April Fools day. If this is true then it is certainly grounds for a permanent ban. Anyways, here's what was posted:

Are you saying that TetriAbetes is LUA? Doesn't look like it.

Art
April 1st, 2008, 12:51
Me: how do u make the makefile for this?
Dragula96: make file is compiled in pc
Me: what's the content in your makefile
Dragula96: i dont have one
Me: Dragula what is the command you used to compile it?
SilentTigeR: ^^
Dragula96: windows xp
Me: command
Dragula96: make
Me: just make?
Me: you're funny
Dragula96: make ps3 hello world?
Me: funny, I never thought you could use the make command unless you had a makefile
Dragula96: you guys are funny

If the above is a real conversation, then this is an April fool's joke.

-Xandu-
April 1st, 2008, 13:49
This is fake until something real gets released..

Triv1um
April 1st, 2008, 17:23
This is pretty much fake.

Its a UTIII mod, cant and wont resort to anything.

My guess was right, its UTIII.

Joe88
April 1st, 2008, 18:10
was about to post what mavsman4457 posted
its fake

DarthPaul
April 1st, 2008, 20:00
Fail...?

mavsman4457
April 1st, 2008, 20:25
I'd like to hear what Wraggster has to say about this and if it is not proven real very very soon then I would definitely see no other way for this to end than a ban to dragula. An April Fools joke like this is just unacceptable.

Ennohex
April 1st, 2008, 21:10
Yeah, I agree. Say and show little to nothing.
And gimme a shout when you're able to boot NTSC PS2 games on a PAL machine. Yay!

ab88
April 1st, 2008, 23:51
Ban? you guys have no sense of humor :[

I found it funny people even believed this from the first post. I find it ok to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, blindly believing like mavsman4457 pointed out is not an option nowadays.

In the video, you can see some tape on my tv, that is to hide mac and ip addresses.

This is where I knew he was doing an April fool's prank. No programmer capable of finding an exploit hides his MAC address. IP maybe, but there is absolutely NO NEED to hide your MAC. Unless you are afraid of being hacked by your brother or whoever it is that shares your LAN (Hint: Not likely on a machine you don't take to public places).

I have spent somewhere around 9 hours to get this working. and i hope you guys don't think this is a fake, i have a good reputation in the psp scene. I would not release something if it was fake (even if it is close to April Fools Day).

There is no need to prove anything if it is legit. It will prove itself eventualy.
Finally why would he even mention April fools coming up?

Well at least I found it funny. Give the guy a break for trying to entertain =]

No_one_in_particular
April 1st, 2008, 23:59
A ban ffs?! Have a word.

What a glorious hypocrite Wraggster would be if he took any action whatsoever.

mavsman4457
April 2nd, 2008, 00:47
A ban ffs?! Have a word.

What a glorious hypocrite Wraggster would be if he took any action whatsoever.

Care to elaborate?

dragula96
April 2nd, 2008, 00:54
why is this in the psp forum? enyway the official thread should be this one.
(that starts from page 2, where i have a second video and my upload.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101317&page=2

:thumbup:

DarthPaul
April 2nd, 2008, 01:50
Thanks, dragula!!

Now let's see what these people wanting you ban have to say. :)

DPyro
April 2nd, 2008, 02:05
We don't need a duplicate thread, and this has lead nowhere. Thread closed.