PDA

View Full Version : Port Blu-ray movies to PSP later this year

Shrygue
March 31st, 2008, 15:58
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=185743)

In 2008 we'll be able to download Blu-ray movies from PS3 to PSP for watching on the move, if Sony has its way.

Reported by Kotaku, the Japanese company is looking to launch what is called Portable Copy later this year, although there's no confirmed date as yet.

The site says, however, it's been told by Sony that the technology for this to happen is still in development, so in that case don't hold your breath.

But does the idea of being able to download Blu-ray movies to PSP send shivers of delight up and down your spine? Let us know in the comments below.

paul3100
March 31st, 2008, 16:03
Hmmm any way to make a few extra quid me thinks!

Why don't people just buy the disk and convert to psp saving loads of £££ like on the DS? ok the ds isn't blue ray or even dvd or even CD lol but still..............

TBH hd belongs in the living room and not a CRA**y hand held!

paul

Anonymous D
March 31st, 2008, 16:07
its a nice idea, but id like to see it on dvds as well at least then i could use it. i dont tend to watch movies on my psp but something like this would encourage me to use it more.

MicroNut
March 31st, 2008, 16:36
From what I have read it will be on some DVD's
The catch is that this "second session" copy must already included on the disc (BRD or DVD)
PSP Anniversary Interview (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/862/862358p3.html)

Veskgar
March 31st, 2008, 18:08
NICE! This is more of an indication that the method will be used to optimize the video for the PSP instead of just spitting out some common digital format that will play on lots of devices.

I like this feature, especially since I've been upgrading from DVD to Blu-Ray. It will also be interesting to see if the DRM for this gets hacked. The video will probably only work on the PSP that's registered to the PS3.

AdamRav
March 31st, 2008, 21:01
Nice

but you'd need sony's 16gb memory stick to even consider popping a Blue Ray movie on your psp

the 1080p rips are over 10gb in size so no chance fitting them on a 4gb or even a 8gb card

watupgroupie
March 31st, 2008, 23:38
Obviously they'll have some kind of compression codec. I really don't think you'd see the diffrence between ripping a dvd and putting on your psp and ripping blu-ray and putting it on your psp in terms of quality.

No_one_in_particular
March 31st, 2008, 23:42
Aye, can't really see myself transferring blu-ray to my PSP.

Cloudhunter
April 1st, 2008, 00:22
It won't be the same quality, of course. It'll be scaled down and compressed to PSP quality.

Cloudy

watupgroupie
April 1st, 2008, 02:05
It won't be the same quality, of course. It'll be scaled down and compressed to PSP quality.

Cloudy

Yes making this kind of pointless. This can already be done by an average person with dvd's.

Veskgar
April 1st, 2008, 05:36
Ideally, it will be converted to 480x272 AVC. I think there will be a slight difference in quality. I've converted HD content to the PSP as well as DVD movies. The HD content looks brighter, and more crisp. Movies on DVD are usually compressed already to fit on the DVD. Then compressing it more for the PSP does have slightly noticeable affect. The loss of quality is minimized due to the downscaling of resolution but its still there.

watupgroupie
April 1st, 2008, 23:19
Ideally, it will be converted to 480x272 AVC. I think there will be a slight difference in quality. I've converted HD content to the PSP as well as DVD movies. The HD content looks brighter, and more crisp. Movies on DVD are usually compressed already to fit on the DVD. Then compressing it more for the PSP does have slightly noticeable affect. The loss of quality is minimized due to the downscaling of resolution but its still there.
I've never ripped any HD content so I wouldn't know but I think DVD's look perfectly fine. And depending on the software your using to convert your video it may look better or worse. I've noticed that some software screws up the quality a bit and arn't configurable.

jxx2005
April 1st, 2008, 23:58
but now they are making it easier, no converter needed