PDA

View Full Version : OpenXDK v0.06

wraggster
December 18th, 2004, 02:05
A new release of the legal development environment for the Xbox has been released, heres whats new:[br][br]- Support for compiling on both Linux and Windows though migration to automake/autoconf based builds[br]- Enhanced directory handling. For example, the notion of current directory is now supported, as well as being able to list and navigate through files and directories[br]- Increased audio support. SDLAudio will now auto-convert the various sample rates and frequencies[br]- Lastly, hopefully a start at supporting the Xecuter (and other debug-based) BIOSes. Please let me know if you still have troubles with OpenXDK applications on these BIOSes.[br][br]More information can be found at the official site Here (http://www.openxdk.org/)

Cap'n 1time
December 18th, 2004, 09:57
I was just about to point this out... but as usual wrag beats everyone to console dev news...

Another big thing (at least to me) is what he said he would work on next.

This will be the last update for a few months as I leave very shortly to embark on a 3 month holiday. However, when I return, I will be concentrating on:

* SDL support for JPG, GIF, and PNG
* MP3 support
* Networking
* Building a simple demo dashboard - if it hasn't already been done by the time I get back :-)

It seems he thinks it is possible to create a dashboard replacement with open XDK. I think it would open new doors to legal hacks and stop the misuse of the stolen XDK.

No one seems to see it my way but i think its wrong the way xbox modding has been going, regardless of how cool it might seem. stealing is stealing and now its becoming more possible to recreate stuff legally. I urge people concidering programming on the xbox to use openXDK and do the best they can with it.

wraggster
December 18th, 2004, 10:04
im hoping that Fenix could be ported for use on Open XDK

Cap'n 1time
December 19th, 2004, 07:35
I guess I never really understood the capabilities of fenix... but from what i have seen i dont understand why anyone would want to port it. no offence to the fenix lovers or creators, and please feel free to prove me wrong.

Eric
December 19th, 2004, 11:32
Hey 1timeuser i am going on the same path as you some people may like these games and some maybe great but the 4 or 5 i have downloaded are rather poor graphics are great but the fun factor is rather not to so fun or the game is just to short and sound doesnt really matter cause during the porting processes that maybe something left out

LyonHrt
December 19th, 2004, 11:56
Hey 1timeuser i am going on the same path as you some people may like these games and some maybe great but the 4 or 5 i have downloaded are rather poor graphics are great but the fun factor is rather not to so fun or the game is just to short and sound doesnt really matter cause during the porting processes that maybe something left out

Ok, the thing about fenix, its the equivalant to basic, its probably the easiest way to make a game for the dreamcast, or any system that it works on.
It mean's someone with very little experiance at coding can have a go.

And for that, its great, if you think you have an idea, for a game with great graphics, then why not have a bash at it, and yeah, even i have fenix set up on my pc right now, thinking of ideas for a game to make.

You shouldn't bash other peoples games otherwise, you havn't paid a penny for it.

If you think you can do better, fenix is the easiest way to make a game, i am having a go at it, why not have a go, and have a game with great graphics!

Atari
December 19th, 2004, 11:59
Fenix is generally for 2D games, with some mode 7 capabilities. And these are hobbyist productions; meaning free and unprofessional. Also, all of the games that have been "ported" weren't written with the Dreamcast in mind. Fenix is still in its infancy, so there are lots of possibilities to explore.

Besides, you guys didn't pay for the games. What are you complaining about? I also don't recall ever seeing your names on anything in the scene. What have you contributed?

It seems like it's always the do-nothings that whine the loudest.

Cap'n 1time
December 19th, 2004, 22:16
Fenix is generally for 2D games, with some mode 7 capabilities. And these are hobbyist productions; meaning free and unprofessional. Also, all of the games that have been "ported" weren't written with the Dreamcast in mind. Fenix is still in its infancy, so there are lots of possibilities to explore.

Besides, you guys didn't pay for the games. What are you complaining about? I also don't recall ever seeing your names on anything in the scene. What have you contributed?

It seems like it's always the do-nothings that whine the loudest.

First of all, your writing in an Xbox forum that had nothing to do with fenix in the first place. Thanks alot wrag for bringing it up! >:(

Im kidding of course. Secondly I resent that statment. My previouse post was a suggestion to tell us why or how fenix is usefull, and if its worthy of being on the xbox in the first place. If it is the equivalent of basic then i could see how it would be usefull for people that have an idea and want to turn it into a game the easiest way possible.

It is my god given right to dislike somthing wether i paid for it or not and i didnt mention any specifics.

To prove my point I have compiled a simple list of free things that i dont care for.

1) Junk mail - Its free, some times i ask for it, and i hate it!

2) Blood tests - They are free, some times I ask for them, and they hurt!

3) Some Halloween Candy - Its free, I ask for it, and it tastes like horse crap

4) Business Cards - Why the hell do they give this away?

5) AOL disks - I dont have to say anything because you hate them too.

The list can go on and on. I wouldnt have brought that up if you hadnt told me what I could and couldnt do. I had no intention of insulting anyone and I did my best to tone down my thoughts on fenix.

PS: This isnt directed to you lynheart, but rather to the smarty pants coder above me.

Eric
December 20th, 2004, 07:32
LyonHrt your very right and seen as how its new to the dreamcast we might not see that many great games at the moment. It takes time for everything to get better and we will see that future come and i cant wait to see this on my xbox even though i have put them on my dreamcast already

Mental2k
December 20th, 2004, 15:59
I like the idea of a legal hack, wouldnt that mean that MS wouldnt be able to complain if we loaded it, and would have to honour warantees, and wouldnt be able to kick us off live for using it? Thats the main reason I wont load a soft mod at the moment, im too scared, oh i am a big baby.

Cap'n 1time
December 20th, 2004, 22:04
I like the idea of a legal hack, wouldnt that mean that MS wouldnt be able to complain if we loaded it, and would have to honour warantees, and wouldnt be able to kick us off live for using it? Thats the main reason I wont load a soft mod at the moment, im too scared, oh i am a big baby.

Glad you see it my way. :) I dont think it would prevent people from being banned from xbox live though. It would still enable people to download ripped copies of DVD's. Its a real shame. :'(

Cap'n 1time
December 22nd, 2004, 08:46
If anyone here is up to the challenge, there is already and FTP Daemon free for use here.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbfilezilla

The things it really would need are to cut, copy, delete, and rename files; easy to use explorer; the ability to tell how much space is left on your hardrive; and some settings for the ip configurations.

Mental2k
December 22nd, 2004, 15:09
MS should release some way to allow homebrew makers to load there stuff ontot he xbox, maybe if you could email them your homebrew get them to send out an image which you could burn and then load onto your DC, i know its never gonna happen, but it would be nice never the less.