PDA

View Full Version : SIDDS - Commodore 64 Emulator Coming To DS

wraggster
March 31st, 2008, 19:00
Alekmaul (http://www.portabledev.com/pages/posts/oh-what-s-that-o_o556.php) has posted a screenshot on his site thats sure to get a lot of you wanting for more:

http://www.portabledev.com/media/DS/SidDS/sidds_wip20080328.png

Go, a small news emulation, it was long ^ ^.
I am currently working on a new emulator. A Commodore 64 emulator, the mythical machine that everybody wanted to have my time.
In short, you would soon SIDDS news of the next emulator Available on this site ^ ^
Ps: While this is not the buzz it

awesome news cant wait :), while we wait what C64 games did you like most, for me it was international soccer :)

mr game porter
March 31st, 2008, 19:05
holy crap!! i want!!

urherenow
March 31st, 2008, 19:32
"mythical machine " ?

obviously he doesn't know what "myth" means

anyway, I like c64 myself, so :thumbup:

Category
March 31st, 2008, 19:36
"mythical machine " ?

obviously he doesn't know what "myth" means

anyway, I like c64 myself, so :thumbup:

I think the "mythical machine" part was bad machine translation - the grammar is VERY babelfish.

But SUPER excited for this - does anyone else remember "Little Computer People"? Can't wait to have that in my pocket again!

Sir_Voe
March 31st, 2008, 20:05
This looks nice. Hope the sound emulation is a little better than Frodo, as one of my favorite games (Impossible Mission) just isn't the same without the voices.

wraggster
March 31st, 2008, 20:11
i personally hope the gui loads games in an easy way, i remember the days of c64 and those damn tapes :)

Category
March 31st, 2008, 20:29
LOAD 8,1,1,1

*waits half an hour, looking at a screen that could send an epileptic to hospital*

Those were the days!

Hawq
March 31st, 2008, 20:33
LOAD 8,1,1,1

*waits half an hour, looking at a screen that could send an epileptic to hospital*

Those were the days!Coulda been worse, the Speccy killed your ears as well as making you fall down & turn blue

robman84
March 31st, 2008, 21:43
Cool. Hope it can take the results of FrodoDS to the next level.

Mmm, Spindizzy. Wizball. Paradroid. Ghosts and Goblins. Uridium. Nebulus.

Got versions of most of these on other emus, but the C64 versions rocked.

paul3100
March 31st, 2008, 22:12
I think it should be made like the existing zx spectrum emulators which does auto load those games.

I usually get exited about new emulators on the DS and this is no exception except that the zx spectrum and commadore 64 are very alike and have practically the same games and graphics.

So unless you were a commadore fan when you were younger then the existing speccy emulator does it all.

paul

hollowuk
March 31st, 2008, 23:30
I think it should be made like the existing zx spectrum emulators which does auto load those games.

I usually get exited about new emulators on the DS and this is no exception except that the zx spectrum and commadore 64 are very alike and have practically the same games and graphics.

So unless you were a commadore fan when you were younger then the existing speccy emulator does it all.

paul

LOL, sorry if my first and only post is a semi-flame, but you are clueless.
Same Graphics????????
The spectrum couldn't even scroll properly and dont get me started on the puke-fest that was speccy colour.

iceman100
March 31st, 2008, 23:56
So far this look years better than that other crap they made.

spinal_cord
April 1st, 2008, 00:12
I really home creatures2 and mayhem in monsterland work with this emu, they don't with frodo.

Akoi Meexx
April 1st, 2008, 00:13
I remember coding on a VIC-20 when I was little. That is DEFINITELY a blast to see, I hope it's better built than Frodo, never did like how that one ran.

cutterjohn
April 1st, 2008, 01:30
I dunno. It'd be nice to have a usefully emulated machine that could play Ultima I - VI, and a bunch of other RPGs that NEVER came out for European/Japanese 8bit micros AFAIK.

Of course, I'd rather have a better Apple //e / IIGS emulator...

SmashinGit
April 1st, 2008, 01:46
Can't wait for this, :D I hope IK+ works

Shtroodle
April 1st, 2008, 02:05
Me neither. I hope Wasteland works :)

crookedmouth
April 1st, 2008, 03:09
I love alekmaul but he must clone himself so he can update his multitude of fantastic emulators. :)
The Apple2 and Atari800 are also very important IMHO.

turnerl
April 1st, 2008, 03:15

paul

Nothing alike (except they are both 8bit and had the same games)

C64 different best altogether, MUCH better graphics and the BEST sound for the time. You cant even compare the specturm to the c64.

turnerl
April 1st, 2008, 03:32

paul

Nothing alike (except they are both 8bit and had alot of the same games)

C64 different best altogether, MUCH better graphics and the BEST sound for the time. You cant even compare the specturm to the c64.

crookedmouth
April 1st, 2008, 04:24
I owned a C64 and still do today. So of course it's one of my favorites, but I must admit that the Spectrum seems to have better sprite handling. It could handle large sprites with smooth movement.
As to games being the same there were tons more RPG and strategy games for the C64.If anything the C64 had more similar games with the Apple2 and Atari800.

paul3100
April 1st, 2008, 08:19
Same Graphics????????
The spectrum couldn't even scroll properly and dont get me started on the puke-fest that was speccy colour.

Lol mate i ain't going to flame you as we are entitled to our own opinions, guess i just loved the zx spectrum as thats what i owned (zx81/48k+/128+2) .

I always thought the commadore and amstrad were not as good for graphics but thats just cause i was used to the speccy.

Anyway a new commadore emulator will be good :thumbup:

paul

XDelusion
April 1st, 2008, 09:24
I hope this pans out! A full speed C64 emu would be grand, especially if he could incorporate Paddle support via touch screen so that programs like Prophet 64 and what not are fully use able!

R4mbo
April 1st, 2008, 09:50
The Interface looks totally awesome!!!!
Autoload should only be optional, another cool feature is that you can code "Basic" on it, directly in the OS, like

10 PRINT "BLA"
20 a=a+1
30 PRINT "a"
40 GOTO 10

This should have to work too ofcourse!!!

spinal_cord
April 1st, 2008, 10:53
Same Graphics????????

Someone show me some speccy gfx as good as these...
http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/bopc2/pic/picp99_1.gifhttp://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/bopc2/pic/picflag2000_2.gif
http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/bopc2/pic/piccon99_1.gifhttp://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/bopc2/pic/picp99_5.gif

paul3100
April 1st, 2008, 16:02
Someone show me some speccy gfx as good as these...

You make a good point my friend, all i was meaning was that i preferred the speccy as its what i owned and didn't like the graphics as much on other systems of its time such as the C64 and amstrad 464.

I still don't lol but its just what i am used to and i am sure the average user of any of these early 8 bit machines wouldn't notice much difference on MOST games.

Anyway thats the end of quotes and stuff cause i get it already OK lol, the C64 is best........... la de la

paul

paul3100
April 1st, 2008, 16:26
You make a good point my friend, all i was meaning was that i preferred the speccy as its what i owned and didn't like the graphics as much on other systems of its time such as the C64 and amstrad 464.

I still don't lol but its just what i am used to and i am sure the average user of any of these early 8 bit machines wouldn't notice much difference on MOST games.

Anyway thats the end of quotes and stuff cause i get it already OK lol, the C64 is best........... la de la

paul

PS: what game is that above?

turnerl
April 1st, 2008, 23:15
is that flashgordon (matertronics) or just a scene demo maybe

spinal_cord
April 2nd, 2008, 00:48
Its just a demo, would have been good if people figured out all those tricks in the 80's though, might have game the 8bits a little extra life.

urherenow
April 2nd, 2008, 06:07
it would be impossible to make an entire game with that quality. I bet those 4 shots took up a whole damn floppy...

anyway, I haven't paid much attention to the DS scene... I take it someone ported frodo as well?

I dunno why people bother actually. I've never seen a better emulator than vice. It's open source and has been ported to many different systems (including PSP). I couldn't port it myself, I'm just saying.. why port stuff that was never very good in the first place? I've found nothing that fails to run on any of the vice emulators.

spinal_cord
April 2nd, 2008, 10:24
it would be impossible to make an entire game with that quality. I bet those 4 shots took up a whole damn floppy...

anyway, I haven't paid much attention to the DS scene... I take it someone ported frodo as well?

I dunno why people bother actually. I've never seen a better emulator than vice. It's open source and has been ported to many different systems (including PSP). I couldn't port it myself, I'm just saying.. why port stuff that was never very good in the first place? I've found nothing that fails to run on any of the vice emulators.

Vice takes up way to much resources to work on something as limited as the ds, you'd be really lucky to get it working on a similar spec pc. That's why frodo gets ported to other systems first, the more compatible an emulator is, the more resources it needs to do its job.

cutterjohn
April 2nd, 2008, 23:56
Nothing alike (except they are both 8bit and had the same games)

C64 different best altogether, MUCH better graphics and the BEST sound for the time. You cant even compare the specturm to the c64.Wrong. The Ataris could display up to 128 colors in several graphics modes. Alternate reality was one of the games to utilize this feature, although I don't recall which graphics mode it was using.

The 8bit Atari had several early custom chips, and a ~1.8MHz 6502. Most of the same group also designed the Amiga, hence the custom chips for the Amiga, meanwhile the "new" Atari got the cheapasses from Commodore hence the cheap STs initially.

spinal_cord
April 3rd, 2008, 00:47
Wrong. The Ataris could display up to 128 colors in several graphics modes. Alternate reality was one of the games to utilize this feature, although I don't recall which graphics mode it was using.

The 8bit Atari had several early custom chips, and a ~1.8MHz 6502. Most of the same group also designed the Amiga, hence the custom chips for the Amiga, meanwhile the "new" Atari got the cheapasses from Commodore hence the cheap STs initially.

Hang on, turnerl said "You cant even compare the specturm to the c64." then you (cutterjohn) siad "Wrong. The Ataris could display up to 128 colors in several graphics modes.". Who said anything about Atari? Are you saying spectrum and commodore were comparable because Atari was higher spec? how does that work?

turnerl
April 3rd, 2008, 00:49
LOL yeah that is a funny reply haha.

crookedmouth
April 3rd, 2008, 01:33
Wrong. The Ataris could display up to 128 colors in several graphics modes. Alternate reality was one of the games to utilize this feature, although I don't recall which graphics mode it was using.

Jay Miner was the designer of the Atari 2600,Atari 400/800 and Ultimately the Amiga. He always named his chips after women apparently.

The people who created the C64 had nothing to do with the Atari ST, unless you count Jack Tramiel who started Commodore then bought Atari in 1984 , almost got the amiga then quickly made the ST in retaliation.

cutterjohn
April 3rd, 2008, 14:39
Tramiel also brought over most of the useful Commodore engineering staff with him, and according to what I've read they already had the ST designed, but found the contract with Amiga with the buyout clause, which didn't work out since Commodore came in and bailed them out, then bought them later. Apparently bad blood between Tramiel and whoever took over Commodore after he bought Atari.

Atari never made any real decent machines until they added the TTs, and finally the Falcon but it was really to late by then. The STes were reasonable as well, but not what you would expect from Atari if you didn't know about what was essentially and essential staff swap between commodore and atari...

(Atari also did a pretty good job with the Jaguar, but as usual couldn't market it...)

robman84
May 9th, 2008, 21:31
Digging through old threads. Anyone know of any progress on this emu? I got very excited at the time!

Sir_Voe
July 28th, 2008, 21:53
Yeah, what ever happened to this?

crookedmouth
September 26th, 2008, 19:20
I'm probably going to get this locked but What happened to alekmaul? Hope he's alright and just taking a long break. Lord knows he's been prolific with his emulators.
I emailed him a couple times way back but he didn't reply.

Sir_Voe
September 26th, 2008, 20:29
I'm probably going to get this locked but What happened to alekmaul? Hope he's alright and just taking a long break. Lord knows he's been prolific with his emulators.
I emailed him a couple times way back but he didn't reply.

last I heard (about a month ago), he's working on getting Black Tiger running on the DS.

crookedmouth
September 27th, 2008, 04:01
Thanks for the info, Black Tiger will be cool. I wonder if he abandoned sidds.

luc95470
June 19th, 2009, 21:33
Hello,

I have a question about the size of the C64 screen on DS.
Can you add a mode with a correct ratio (320/200) ?

mattsaysfooey
June 20th, 2009, 00:11
Yeah keep us posted. ty in advance.

XDelusion
July 4th, 2009, 01:08
Looking forward to it! Hope it does full speed!