PDA

View Full Version : Makaron WIP - If I were a rich man

JKKDARK
April 1st, 2008, 01:41
Progress on the Sega Dreamcast emulator for PC.

From the official site (http://dknute.livejournal.com/):

t least some of you must realize that developing Makaron is a time consuming process. Time I could very well be spending doing things that bring me money. I have expenses you know, mostly PC hardware and software but also Dreamcast games and other stuff (like a new oscilloscope, as the old one died on me sometime ago).
I'm happy people use my emulator and find it useful, but I also belive it's only fair I got someting out of it as well.

Having said that I've came up with an idea of Pay to Play system for Makaron - prepaid style. Makaron will be free to download and try out but to play longer you will need to purchase an activation code. Simply put, in exchange for money you'll be given a limited time to use my emulator. Once that time is up you'll need to pay again, very much like you would for a cell phone number.
Payment options will include credit cards and other common money transfer services, but I haven't yet decided on the rates so it'll take a few days to set everyting up. I will be done with the activation code shortly too.

This is the last free version: Makaron T10 (http://rapidshare.com/files/103840710/Makaron_T10.7z.html).

UPDATE: I've changed my mind - I'm going to start with payment system right now. If you've managed to download the free T10 then consider yourself lucky.

quzar
April 1st, 2008, 03:43
Well, that ends the use of Makaron by anyone.

kohan69
April 1st, 2008, 04:12
weaksauce

I smell a lawsuit in 3.. 2...

paul3100
April 1st, 2008, 08:06
i guess i can see the authors point but as you 2 above said its a bit lame charging for an emulator!

paul

turnerl
April 1st, 2008, 08:09
WTF pay for a time limited version? I'm sorry thats just bullshit no disrespect to the coder I've been very excited about this project and I understand where he's coming from saying that I'd be more than happy to pay $100 or more for this emulator and be able to get any future updates for free but pay as you go LOL errrrrrrrm NO THANKS!

fackue
April 1st, 2008, 08:09
Well, that ends the use of Makaron by anyone.

...I would buy a code but not if it expires after use. So that ends the use of Makaron by me.

Mark30001
April 1st, 2008, 08:27
The emulator is awesome, but that is really stupid.

I can understand that developing an emulator is time consuming, but I don't care who you are, money should never be a motivation.

M Dash
April 1st, 2008, 10:20
Wait... PAY??
No WAY!!

Emulators are meant to be FREE!!!

It's FREE!!!

If the autor is expecting a lawsuit from SEGA, he WILL have one.

Remembers me of the guys that made bleem!.

LOlz, They where owned by Sony! XD LOOOOOOL

Anyways, I'm sorry, but I won't pay for something that is meant to be FREE.

Emulators are something meant to be done for entertainment.

Coders enjoy and entertain themselfs coding them.

Having said that: NO! NO PAYMENT!

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY! XD

(check blog)

Keitaro Urashima
April 1st, 2008, 12:33
Download link is broken.:(

Mikey242
April 1st, 2008, 14:59
April Fools?

Hawq
April 1st, 2008, 15:14
Considering the day I'll hold off on judgement until tomorrow as while I could see an emu going shareware pay as you go is a bit too ridiculous

indaman
April 1st, 2008, 15:39
In fact the autor of this emulator have already done something like this last year:

He said his emulator was a fake and all the screenshot was made by him under photoshop.

And one day later: April Fool!

But don't forget no$gba so it's also possible.

JKKDARK
April 2nd, 2008, 18:23
Originally I intended to "disappear" for a week (just like last time) and have my fun reading the comments, hate mail and cursing. Unfortunately not that many sites picked up on this idea of mine and so I'll have to cut it short. Pity.

I especially enjoyed the threats to move to another emulator. How silly is that? Folks, you're free to do that anytime you want and you don't need my permission. Really.
Let's face it - most of you got angry because you took free Makaron for granted and now I was about to take it away from you. You got all cozy thinking you somehow deserve it. Well... think again.

Having said that - hook, line AND SINKER, people :)

http://dknute.livejournal.com/

M Dash
April 3rd, 2008, 23:47
Told ya... XD