PDA

View Full Version : RROD: Getting more from it

Elven6
April 2nd, 2008, 01:36
I have been meaning to post this for a while, but I didn’t get around to it, I wrote this piece up in the Summer of 07 when I first came across the RROD. I don’t know if this theory still applies to the newer Xbox 360 units with the heatsinks or newer chipset’s since they do not produce as much heat as the previous models did.

When I first experienced the RROD the first thing I did was phone in for a “coffin”. I heard bad things about the RROD call service, about how the person on the other side wouldn’t understand me due to outsourcing, bad service, etc. I can safely say that none of those applied, I got someone who was fluent in English, I’m assuming it was someone from North America. When I told the man on the other line about my problem the first thing he said was “Oh well on behalf of Microsoft I am sorry for your loss” or something similar to those lines. He then went on assuring me that it would cost me nothing. After all that was done I played the waiting game, the “coffin” came in about 7 or so days, in reality I phoned in on Monday and the “coffin” arrived that Thursday night, too late to make it onto the morning trucks. So I had to wait since they didn’t ship on weekends until Monday to get it. After receiving it I sent it in the next day and received it in about 3 weeks, 2 days after the Bioshock launch. I was hoping for a HDMI console since the announcement of the HDMI Premium console came out a week before me shipping mine in, but it was the original. It had a bad DVD drive which forced me to send it in again, missing the H3 launch due to my own procrastination, but that’s a different story.

While I waited for the box the first time around I started to experiment with the 360 a bit. I heard of the towel tricks but from my tests I found out a towel was not needed! What I did was I let the Xbox run without anything blocking the vents, through trial and error I found out the following:

The article is pretty lengthy so it wouldn't be best to post the whole thing, the reason is available via my blog.

Read On (http://segafanclub.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/rrod-getting-more-from-it/)

Please Digg this if you like it, the digg button is available on the original post itself via the link above.

M Dash
April 2nd, 2008, 10:13
I fixed mine in a easy way:

Get your Xbox 360.
Open it all up, see the memories?
Those black cubes in the board..
There's the problem.
Put some rubber calcs in it, so it makes pressure on them..

The problem is... The console eats SO MUCH, the soldering starts "melting"... so.. the RAM starts to unsolder (thanks to gravity).

The rubber calcs will make pressure so that the RAM is always in the correct position AND tight with the motehrboard.

found the solution in a brasilian forum.

Elven6
April 2nd, 2008, 17:26
This really isn't supposed to be a fix, just something to think about I guess. Or a way to get some life out of your console without doing the towel trick and doing more potential damage.