PDA

View Full Version : Freenet

quzar
April 2nd, 2008, 10:18
Does anyone here use Freenet (http://freenetproject.org/)? I used it for about a year back in 04 and found it to be a good cause and very interesting.

I'm currently looking for people to add into a secure intranet on it, so I figured I'd ask here.

For those who don't know, here's some info on freenet without clicking a link:

Freenet is free software which lets you publish and obtain information on the Internet without fear of censorship. To achieve this freedom, the network is entirely decentralized and publishers and consumers of information are anonymous. Without anonymity there can never be true freedom of speech, and without decentralization the network will be vulnerable to attack.

Communications by Freenet nodes are encrypted and are "routed-through" other nodes to make it extremely difficult to determine who is requesting the information and what its content is.

Users contribute to the network by giving bandwidth and a portion of their hard drive (called the "data store") for storing files. Unlike other peer-to-peer file sharing networks, Freenet does not let the user control what is stored in the data store. Instead, files are kept or deleted depending on how popular they are, with the least popular being discarded to make way for newer or more popular content. Files in the data store are encrypted to reduce the likelihood of prosecution by persons wishing to censor Freenet content.

Basically it's an anonymity-centric decentralized p2p internet. There is no such thing as a server, but only clients, and when you visit a site, you become one of the people sharing it.

Anyways, thoughts comments, or node references welcome.

the_eternal_dark
April 2nd, 2008, 10:57
I haven't used this yet, but it looks very interesting. I like the fact that privacy is so well protected.

I'll join when I get back if you'd like, quzar. I'll be building a new computer when I get back (sold my most recent one), I'll let you know when I'm up and running.