PDA

View Full Version : Why some PS3 games need installations

Shrygue
April 2nd, 2008, 17:55
via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/02/why-some-ps3-games-need-installations/)

Back in the golden days when we did a lot of gaming on PC, installations were known as "get pumped" time. You looked through the instruction booklet, you saw if you could wear the cloth map as a scarf, you'd watch the bar grow and, in short, get totally pumped. But PS3 owners today are, understandably, a little less jazzed when it happens to them.

MTV did a little digging to find out why some games need it and some games don't and the answers may surprise you. In short, different parts of a disc move at different speeds. DVD players can read at different speeds, but Blu-ray players read at one, so DVDs being dropped onto Blu-rays causes the problems. A similar problem doesn't exist with the hard drive. There are ways around installing (obviously), but they sound like they require a bit more work for the developer.

For you PS3 owners: How much of a problem is installation? Is it a pain? Or do you welcome the return of "get pumped" time?

Triv1um
April 2nd, 2008, 18:15
I don't mind it.

But I know eventually my 60gb will be full of these. All these 1gb+ instalations will end up not fitting.

But still, I dont mind at all.. If it improves the speeds of the game and stuff, I will more than happily do it.

JKKDARK
April 2nd, 2008, 18:22
That's terrible, installing games like a computer

Napalm-Death
April 2nd, 2008, 18:23
I don't mind it at all, if it decreases load times, I'm all for it.

goity
April 2nd, 2008, 18:24
It doesn't take anywhere near as long as a computer. For most games it's minimal, and for others it never takes long. I'm pretty sure nobody who actually owns a PS3 moans about this (yes JKKDARK, that is aimed at you. Why do you constantly bash the PS3 for no reason?).
Besides, you aren't ever going to play 60 games at once, so just delete a few when you don't need them.

Shrygue
April 2nd, 2008, 18:29
For me, initial hard drive installs are almost nothing - as long as I'm able to play the game I want, it's fine. I have plenty of space on my hard drive and if there reaches a time I don't, I just delete some content or so to make space - no problems here.

DarthPaul
April 2nd, 2008, 18:36
Perhaps most games should be like Unreal Tournament III. You can use it with slower(fast) loading times, or you can install it and have faster loading times.

yes JKKDARK, that is aimed at you. Why do you constantly bash the PS3 for no reason?

Because he doesn't have one. :p

simonjhall
April 2nd, 2008, 19:08
At least you've just got to install it + perhaps get a firmware update.
With PC games you often have to piss around with graphics drivers for ages if you've got a new and flashy video card...

splodger15
April 2nd, 2008, 20:52
Doesn't bother me at all I'll just go something else while it installs

Ultima Chocochu
April 2nd, 2008, 21:15
No one normally minds(myself included) because the game loads faster and runs smoother.
Plus it seems like when anything get's past 50% on a PS3 it takes seconds after that to finish it seems.

jdnation
April 2nd, 2008, 23:26
The problem is not the installation, it's the freaking 5 GB size! That takes up a lot of HDD space for a console. A 20GB owner can probably only play 4 games at a time if this becomes a habit. It'll be frustrating to do it everytime you want to paly a game.

Developers need to get on the ball with blu-ray and stop tossing the DVD footprint on it. They're not the same! In fact if they code efficiently for blu-ray they can get better results. If a game like Uncharted doesn't need any install, then there's no excuse for many of the rest.

jonezybaby
April 2nd, 2008, 23:27
installs dont matter to me, i changed the HDD to a 250GB so i have plenty of space. i have nearly 40 demos, plenty of game data installed (3GB+ each time) and i still have loadsa room :D

lmtlmt
April 2nd, 2008, 23:59
i only have 28Gb left on my 60gb:( i dont mind optional installs like ridge racer or unreal tournament but DMC is just sad.

F9zDark
April 3rd, 2008, 04:22
via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/02/why-some-ps3-games-need-installations/)

Back in the golden days when we did a lot of gaming on PC, installations were known as "get pumped" time. You looked through the instruction booklet, you saw if you could wear the cloth map as a scarf, you'd watch the bar grow and, in short, get totally pumped. But PS3 owners today are, understandably, a little less jazzed when it happens to them.

MTV did a little digging to find out why some games need it and some games don't and the answers may surprise you. In short, different parts of a disc move at different speeds.

Um... No shit? Hell a 5 year old with a physics book could have told them that...

pibs
April 3rd, 2008, 05:02
Its not that bad, just switch modes and watch TV while it installs.

jamotto
April 3rd, 2008, 05:37
I assumed the ps3 drive could operate in both cav and clv modes, if not then that is just a poor design choice.

F9zDark
April 3rd, 2008, 15:16
I assumed the ps3 drive could operate in both cav and clv modes, if not then that is just a poor design choice.

How many PS3 exclusive games have to install? I don't know of any that I own that do require it. How many multiplatform games require it (which were probably dumped to Blu-Ray's as "DVDs" rather than being optimized for the Blu-Ray disc)? A lot...

Accordion
April 3rd, 2008, 15:32
Uncharted proves PS3 games do not need installs.

No install, no load times… ever.

DPyro
April 3rd, 2008, 15:40
I think Heavenly Sword has a 2GB install.

jamotto
April 4th, 2008, 05:17
I don't know of any that I own that do require it. How many multiplatform games require it (which were probably dumped to Blu-Ray's as "DVDs" rather than being optimized for the Blu-Ray disc)? A lot...

Which is why a CAV mode should have been added, it's not like it be difficult or anything. The spindle motor already has a variable speed for CLV mode all CAV is that the spindle motor spins at a fixed rpm instead of a variable rpm.

Triv1um
April 4th, 2008, 11:58
I think Heavenly Sword has a 2GB install.

GT5 Prologue has a nearly 6gb install!!!

F9zDark
April 4th, 2008, 15:20
GT5 Prologue has a nearly 6gb install!!!

Yeah but that isn't on disc; thats downloaded from the store, so its a completely different beast.

Accordion
April 4th, 2008, 16:09
Yeah but that isn't on disc; thats downloaded from the store, so its a completely different beast.

I think the disc version installs a lot more data.

I bought it off the PSN store and it takes up under 3GB after having downloaded the opening movie and two track guides.

gelnika
April 4th, 2008, 16:22
Its somewhat of a double edged sword, on one hand you have the wait time for the game to download, but on the other hand you have the increased load time and a few other benefits.

Triv1um
April 4th, 2008, 21:23

Yes, thats the disc install mate. :)

Napalm-Death
April 4th, 2008, 22:21

Is it worth the price?

F9zDark
April 4th, 2008, 23:28

I didn't know GT5 ever made it to a real store :D

Triv1um
April 4th, 2008, 23:48
Is it worth the price?

Yes, i got mine for £20 from ASDA (your walmart).

Worth every penny mate. Also, £5 under the PSN price :O

Napalm-Death
April 5th, 2008, 00:05
Well, knowing my luck, I'll probably end up getting it for the PSN price. >_< If it's on the US PSN right now though, I might get it. Thanks.