PDA

View Full Version : Wii Homebrew Channel Released

wraggster
April 2nd, 2008, 18:57
Team Twiizers (http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Homebrew_Channel) have today released the Wii Homebrew Channel, awesome news eh.

http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/1160910/wii_homebrew_channel.swf

Details here:

A custom Wii channel created by Team Twiizers, the same people responsible for the Twilight Hack. It allows homebrew to be run from the SD card in a similar fashion to the Twilight Hack, but from the Wii menu, so is more convenient. Currently the Wii Homebrew Channel available for public release is a beta. Currently it allows ten minutes of usage before expiring. Once the channel has expired, it cannot be reinstalled, so it's suggested you use the allocated ten minutes wisely.

Installation
Assuming the Twilight Hack is already installed (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97370&highlight=twilight) on your Wii;

Download the installer from the section below.
Place the installer file on the root of your SD card.
Rename the file to boot.elf
Run the Twilight Hack, and allow the installer to load.
READ THE DISCLAIMER! In the very unlikely case your Wii should be bricked by the installer, this will let you know where you stand in regards to Team Twiizers.
Press the RESET button on your Wii.
The installation should be automatic from this point on, and your Wii will reboot.

The Homebrew Channel is the new channel with no skin/theme.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DPyro
April 2nd, 2008, 19:12
Heres the disclaimer:

Homebrew Channel Installer v0.0.1alpha1 (c) 2008 marcan DISCLAIMER: <-- THIS MEANS KEEP READING YOU BOZO THIS INSTALLER COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, NEITHER EXPRESS NOR IMPLIED. THE AUTHORS OF THE PROGRAM CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OCCURRING AS A RESULT OF ITS USE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE MALFUNCTION OR ANY OTHER DAMAGE TO YOUR WII CONSOLE If you agree to the above, hit the RESET button. What, you think I'm stupid? I know you didn't read that, you idiot. Just FYI, whether you read it or not, you're still bound by it.

vicious1988
April 2nd, 2008, 19:20
I'd try it if it weren't for the no reinstall limitation. There's a chance, albeit a very small one, that the no reinstall could prevent you from using a future full release. Of course I'm sure this has already been addressed.

Personally I think the 10 minute limit would be enough. I wouldn't keep reinstalling just to get 10 minutes of play when I could just use the current Twilight Hack.

GODZEROXX
April 2nd, 2008, 19:31
sounds a tad suspicious ... what would cause a 10 minute limit?? and why couldn't it be deleted and reinstalled... gotta be a late april fools day joke or somethin.... but maybe not.. I shall give this a shot when I get home later! if it really works than congrats and thanks for making it lol

lipnox88
April 2nd, 2008, 20:23
sounds a little sketchy for my tastes but maybe in a few months when we have a big list of wii homebrew and all the bugs are worked out of this channel, then maybe ill install it.

____anders____
April 2nd, 2008, 21:34
shit, limitation? what the f*ck? damn, well.. NO THANK YOU!
not until the limitation is removed, cus all we need is an elf loader and we HAVE that!

damn i thought this would be cool but noo they made a timelimit, you cant even start playing seiken densetsu 3 before the timelimit is expired, damn i really hope that this is a joke, if it is then it's a good one..

no thank you i'm going with the elf loader with the game a-holes!

anyone tried this?

telnaur
April 2nd, 2008, 21:38
screw this, the point of homebrew is to GET RID OF LIMITS. I have no interest until thats fixed

____anders____
April 2nd, 2008, 22:01
i guess that almost no one will try this, unless some idiot just got all excited of the headline that they just did it without reading the text..

but i'm happy with the snes emu right now, with unlimited time playing super mario all-stars :D

EDIT: a liiitle off-topic but anyways i have a Q, anyone tried playing SSBB online in europe yet? if i use the freeloader to play SSBB on my PAL wii from the very first time, will my wii still be able to read Dual-Layer dvds? cus the freeloader block the updates on the discs so i'm not sure it will get the Dual-Layer update..

retro fan
April 2nd, 2008, 22:56
wiibrew.org are showing this released on April 1st! The video shows very little new and ends before the new blank channel appears and the limitations sound wierd too.

Given the credentials of the authors I'm sure this is pukka, but think I'll wait and see how things develop. If it isn't broke (and it isn't, at the moment), why try to 1/2 fix it!

phsychokill
April 2nd, 2008, 23:23
i guess that almost no one will try this, unless some idiot just got all excited of the headline that they just did it without reading the text..

but i'm happy with the snes emu right now, with unlimited time playing super mario all-stars :D

EDIT: a liiitle off-topic but anyways i have a Q, anyone tried playing SSBB online in europe yet? if i use the freeloader to play SSBB on my PAL wii from the very first time, will my wii still be able to read Dual-Layer dvds? cus the freeloader block the updates on the discs so i'm not sure it will get the Dual-Layer update..
I have been playing brawl on a UK wii since american launch the only thing is you have to install the disc update. to install the disc updates all you do is put in the freeloader let it run then take it out and put it back in again. so basicaly do the freeloader twice then it shows the update. on my wii installing the disc update had no effect on my wii other than making brawl run. would advise tho if you smoke the game may not run as if the lens is dirty the game wont load I heard tho the people with the problem were mainly smokers.

souLLy
April 2nd, 2008, 23:43
You guys are stressing too much, be patient, the channel is definitely on the way, this is just a little teaser until the final channel is ready.

You already have a way to boot elf files anyway, think of yourselves as private beta testers if it makes you feel better ;) It works well btw.

crouchingleech
April 2nd, 2008, 23:51
I couldn't really tell from the video but it seemed like the homebrew channel was loading the elf from usbgecko. Is there an option of where to load it from or what?

Anyway I probably won't try this until there is no time limit...

gosureece
April 3rd, 2008, 03:20
It installs and boot properly... i just can't get it to load any homebrew so far :(

watupgroupie
April 3rd, 2008, 04:08
Well make sure that you un install the channel elf on your memory card and install a game or emulator or something ;). I'll just leave this alone until there is no time limit. I have patience.

____anders____
April 3rd, 2008, 09:07
I have been playing brawl on a UK wii since american launch the only thing is you have to install the disc update. to install the disc updates all you do is put in the freeloader let it run then take it out and put it back in again. so basicaly do the freeloader twice then it shows the update. on my wii installing the disc update had no effect on my wii other than making brawl run. would advise tho if you smoke the game may not run as if the lens is dirty the game wont load I heard tho the people with the problem were mainly smokers.

so no dual channels? then i'm gonna try it, and i don't think my lens can be dirty already cus i bought my wii on the friday after christmas -07
so i don't put SSBB in the wii between those 2 times?, only let the freeloader run, take it back out and then in again and after that i put SSBB in?
smoke? no, i don't do that sh*t..
thanks for the answer man :)

feddon
April 3rd, 2008, 09:23
Has anyone installed it and had it working? just wondering which part is an april fools, all of it or just the limit. Im no expert but id imagine that programing in a 10 minute limit would be more trouble then its worth.
Thanks

phsychokill
April 3rd, 2008, 12:39
so no dual channels? then i'm gonna try it, and i don't think my lens can be dirty already cus i bought my wii on the friday after christmas -07
so i don't put SSBB in the wii between those 2 times?, only let the freeloader run, take it back out and then in again and after that i put SSBB in?
smoke? no, i don't do that sh*t..
thanks for the answer man :)
I've had my wii since early last year and it reads the game fine. but yeh it caused no dual channels or anything but it wouldnt work without the brawl disc update and that is correct use the freeloader twice before putting the brawl disc in and it will run the game as if it is a local copy meaning it accepts the update instead of bypassing it.

souLLy
April 3rd, 2008, 14:11
There's no april fool about it, it does exactly what it's supposed to, it just has no branding on it and has a 10 min limit.
Well worth having a look just so you know what's on the way soon

Zimond
April 3rd, 2008, 15:56
i can only agree to some people here that i can see absoluty no reason why this thing must have a 10min timelimit. Why? For what???

____anders____
April 3rd, 2008, 17:02
I've had my wii since early last year and it reads the game fine. but yeh it caused no dual channels or anything but it wouldnt work without the brawl disc update and that is correct use the freeloader twice before putting the brawl disc in and it will run the game as if it is a local copy meaning it accepts the update instead of bypassing it.

ok, thanks man, now i know what to do :)

btw, i think they're f*cking with us anyway, cus they know that almost no one will try this, cus when you play a game in 10 minutes the time just fly away, but if they decide to sell the channel, then i won't buy this, the point of homebrew is that it's free and no time limit, or any other limit at all..

turtleman6431
April 3rd, 2008, 20:05
I tested it, It works and all, it just ain't compabitbal with the SD Loader yet (Meaning, you could only have one .elf on your wii at a time.) So, until they update it with SDloader support, I'll hafta stick with the TP hack. (btw, I still have 9 minutes left on my trial. lol. And It'll probably stay like that 'till a better version is released.)

souLLy
April 4th, 2008, 00:17
the latest update to the elf loader fixes this btw