PDA

View Full Version : Help Help Help!

SSA2
April 3rd, 2008, 03:02
I was cutting open my battery to make a Pandora battery and got distracted. I cut a little too hard and smoke came out and I fear I may have inhaled some. Is it dangerous if I did? And if so how dangerous? Deadly?

murgero1
April 3rd, 2008, 03:04
ok calm down. buy a new battery.

(or a datel TOOL) <-- still works just as good.

And no you will be fine.

SSA2
April 3rd, 2008, 03:07
Ok, thank you. After I had cut it I had noticed my asthma flare up and got a little worried. It is possible it was already like that though.

Wally
April 3rd, 2008, 04:32
I'd go see a GP if you are concerned..

I doubt its major but still if you are concerned :)

darkriku2000
April 3rd, 2008, 05:35
My battery smoked when I did it, although that's when I was actually pulling up the pin, does the battery still work, I hear that the smoke thing is normal if your battery isn't fully drained

bah
April 3rd, 2008, 07:22
Personally I think the stress from worrying if it was bad is probably worse for you than the exposure. We take in all sorts of toxic substances every day, I know when I was young and working on bikes/motorbikes I surely inhaled a lot of toxic crap and I'm still here.

If you want to be technical then:

'Hazardous Decomposition Products: When exposed to extreme heat/fire batteries may rupture
leaking corrosive material and/or emit toxic fumes. Burning batteries may emit acrid smoke irritating
fumes, and toxic fumes of fluoride.
Hazardous Polymerization: May Occur: Will not Occur: X
Conditions to avoid:
5. HEALTH HAZARD IDENTIFICATION:
Emergency Overview (including Signs and Symptoms, Route(s) of Entry, etc.)
Intact batteries present no specific hazards.
Acute Health Hazards (e.g., Inhalation, Eye Contact, Skin Contact, Ingestion, etc.):
Burning batteries: AVOID inhalation of toxic fumes. Burning batteries emit toxic fumes, which are
irritating to the lungs.
Leaking batteries: AVOID exposure to leaking electrolyte, it can cause severe irritation and/or damage
to the skin, mucous membrane or eyes.
Chronic Health Effects (e.g., Carcinogenicity, Teratology, Reproduction, Mutagenicity, etc.):
Cobalt: Suspected human carcinogenic agent.
Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: None.
6. FIRST AID MEASURES:
Inhalation: If battery is burning, leave the area immediately. If exposed to fumes, seek medical
attention promptly.
Skin Contact: If battery electrolyte leaks on to the skin flush the affected area for at least 15 minutes
with clean water. DO NOT attempt to neutralize. Seek medical attention promptly.'

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:xGyHZ2LZizoJ:www.monmouth.army.mil/cecom/safety/sys_service/b_cobalt.pdf+lithium+ion+smoke+poisonous&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au&client=firefox-a

Unless you sat above it, inhaled as much smoke as you could and now feel unwell I wouldn't worry.

Buy a tool battery or get someone to soft mod one for you next time. :)

darkriku2000: If a battery vents gas/smoke then it generally mean it has been overcharged (wont happen unless you have a really dodgy/broken charger), drawing too many amps through it (shorting the contacts is a good way to do that), or puncturing the cell.
I wouldn't keep using the battery after it's vented, give it a try if you really want. If it works at all it will likely be a lot worse than it used to be.
I wouldn't try it personally.

I really wouldn't consider a battery venting gas/smoke 'normal'. :)

NoQuarter
April 3rd, 2008, 20:54
I've found it's easier to mod the slim batteries with a dremmel tool using the smallest head you can find.Cutting it is just too dangerous.Unless your showing symptoms of poisoning I wouldn't worry about it.

Lithium will just chill you out anyway,lol
(it is poisonous though, make no mistake)

Making a slim pandora is easy,as long as you are patient and take your time.Very easy to pop the electrolyte pack,a friend of a friend actually started a fire doing it.They paid me to mod their new slim battery(I only charge a cup of coffe :P )!!