PDA

View Full Version : 'Gamers similar to Aspergers sufferers,' says research

Shrygue
April 3rd, 2008, 16:34
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186032)

Research conducted by staff at the University of Bolton and Whitman College has concluded that some video game players can show signs of autism and character traits associated with the condition.

The researchers questioned 391 people, 86 per cent of whom were male. They apparently took notice of the relationships between addiction, 'high engagement' and personality.

Findings 'revealed' that those players who were closer to what they defined as addicted, they would exhibit traits such as neuroticism, a lack of extraversion and agreeableness.

Dr Charlton of the University of Bolton commented: "Our research supports the idea that people who are heavily involved in game playing may be nearer to autistic spectrum disorders than people who have no interest in gaming."

So basically, the University of Bolton has discovered that an introverted, neurotic and non-empathising cross-section of humanity is heavily involved in things that doesn't make it feel uncomfortable.

It's about as profound as saying moths are attracted to bright lights. Thanks UoB.

maxipower90
April 3rd, 2008, 16:39
MaxiPower conducted a test on how much crap these scientists talk....

his findings were immense, it was a mess, lota muk everywhere, the cleaners told me they were scraping it of the walls for days and how it was clinging from the roof like some sort of fungus

like how does this get on DCEMU......... Shrygue hmmm

John Vattic
April 3rd, 2008, 19:46
I agree. it seems as though scientists just exist now to give excuses as to why humanity needs slavery.

science has become a tool of the powerful, similar to religion. just look at "the sky is falling" global warming alarmists. ironic that just 30 years ago these same scientists agreed upon another ice age being imminent.

everyone believes in some kind of bullisht. at least i can still call it that, at least until it's mandated to believe bullisht. then i am a total slave :(

maxipower90
April 3rd, 2008, 20:59
maybe its all true.... ohh no...... haha scientists are putting more toxics in the air than anyone else

havoc_012
April 3rd, 2008, 21:15
In short, gaming makes you retarded.

maxipower90
April 3rd, 2008, 21:54
In short, gaming makes you retarded.

:rofl: please explain

bah
April 4th, 2008, 05:57
John Vattic: Global warming was predicted to severely interfere with the north atlantic current, and as a result areas that are now warm would freeze over. It was never a real contradiction.

The great thing about science is that good science has to be reproducable and others will attempt to disprove the theory. Others in the field have now created better models of these currents and now as a result the fear this could happen is far far less.

Science (in the media) is a tool of whoever has the money to pay for the research and promote only the findings they like. Bad conclusions aren't scientific, they're interpretations of the results shoehorned into the results the group paying for the tests want.

Religion is a tool of established powerful groups (and some crazy televangelists in the USA) mostly. It keeps it's strongest followers ignorant. They suck up all sorts of crazy interpretations of bible passages.
At least bad science often inspires good science to disprove it.

Anyway, to get back on topic: Autism is diagnosed by the subject presenting with a large number of a list of symptoms. Almost all people have one or a few of these symptoms. It means little to nothing.

My mother is a teacher of kids with cerebral palsy, although there are an ever increasing number of kids with autism at her school. I've heard a lot about it from her and can say with certainty that anyone comparing average gamers to people with autism based on one or 2 observations is doing so for a reason other than informing people.

I guess it got them some headlines.

maxipower90: Scientists do not put more toxins into the air than anyone else. Science is a term for man's exploration of his environment and his learning about it though creating and testing hypotheses. If the corporations, governments and the average people they are supposed to serve all valued clean pure air over the cheapest plastic items (etc) then more scientists would be paid to work on reducing it instead of making new junk to sell that pollutes because its cheaper than being clean. When your entire market cares more about cost than cleanliness then what's a corporate head to do? They are obliged to maximise profits any way possible.
Current consumeristic society is a much better scapegoat than science.
Hell, blame marketing. Even if your wrong they still deserve your animosity.

I love how everyone bags china for its terrible pollution, do you think chinese people are buying the bulk of the things they produce? No, its exports.
We have all the dirt cheap plastic (etc) products because our companies produce all the junk we want over there and do it as cheaply as possible.
It's largely our pollution, we just offshored it.

devdj
April 4th, 2008, 15:22
John Vattic: Global warming was predicted to severely interfere with the north atlantic current, and as a result areas that are now warm would freeze over. It was never a real contradiction.

The great thing about science is that good science has to be reproducable and others will attempt to disprove the theory. Others in the field have now created better models of these currents and now as a result the fear this could happen is far far less.

Science (in the media) is a tool of whoever has the money to pay for the research and promote only the findings they like. Bad conclusions aren't scientific, they're interpretations of the results shoehorned into the results the group paying for the tests want.
Religion is a tool of established powerful groups (and some crazy televangelists in the USA) mostly. It keeps it's strongest followers ignorant. They suck up all sorts of crazy interpretations of bible passages.
At least bad science often inspires good science to disprove it.

Anyway, to get back on topic: Autism is diagnosed by the subject presenting with a large number of a list of symptoms. Almost all people have one or a few of these symptoms. It means little to nothing.

My mother is a teacher of kids with cerebral palsy, although there are an ever increasing number of kids with autism at her school. I've heard a lot about it from her and can say with certainty that anyone comparing average gamers to people with autism based on one or 2 observations is doing so for a reason other than informing people.

I guess it got them some headlines.

maxipower90: Scientists do not put more toxins into the air than anyone else. Science is a term for man's exploration of his environment and his learning about it though creating and testing hypotheses. If the corporations, governments and the average people they are supposed to serve all valued clean pure air over the cheapest plastic items (etc) then more scientists would be paid to work on reducing it instead of making new junk to sell that pollutes because its cheaper than being clean. When your entire market cares more about cost than cleanliness then what's a corporate head to do? They are obliged to maximise profits any way possible.
Current consumeristic society is a much better scapegoat than science.
Hell, blame marketing. Even if your wrong they still deserve your animosity.

I love how everyone bags china for its terrible pollution, do you think chinese people are buying the bulk of the things they produce? No, its exports.
We have all the dirt cheap plastic (etc) products because our companies produce all the junk we want over there and do it as cheaply as possible.
It's largely our pollution, we just offshored it.

your lucky to have schools for kids that have autism in Austrailia over here in Ireland there is little to no schools for autism and when we ask help from the govrnment they say we have better things to spend on then schools.

thefanaticgamer
April 5th, 2008, 00:00
Autism doesn't necessarily mean the steroetypical images of retardation that most would think of."autistic spectrum disorders " is more than just autism itself like the headline asperegers and other such disorders which a person can have genius level IQ and appear quite normal only think in different ways and behave differently.