PDA

View Full Version : How to brick your PSP (tested)

cablio
September 5th, 2005, 10:08
Read this (2nd paragraph) (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52587#post52587). It's my posting. If you are too lazy to do so lemme quote myself: dropped my PSP (in plexiglass case) on a hard concrate floor

At first I thought Sony made it little bit more durable (+ in case) but no. Everything was working until I tried to watch a movie - little bit after half of the it, the PSP "jammed" trying to read something from the UMD. I was feeling a little shock from inside about every second. None of the keys were working exept "Power" and "Open" (disk). Hoping that this is from the current UMD, I changed it and I found out the terrifying truth that the falling decalibrated the "eye."

I will wait couple of days to see if anyone comes up with a solution for that. If not, I'm gonna buy a 1.0 or 1.5 one and use this one for something else. Or I don't know. :confused:

Shiaoran
September 6th, 2005, 01:12
i accidentally dropped mine once, and since it, when i play any megaman games sometimes i can't charge the shot, the [] button is kinda malfunctioning...

i hope someone have an answer for this too
i haven't played any UMD since it, i'll play a game and a movie now to chack if it works...

Dragnar
September 6th, 2005, 03:20
:eek: aww unlucky! ive dropped mine loads of times and not had a problem.. lol

cablio
September 6th, 2005, 08:51
I was going to buy 1.50 but I saw that WAB already has IT (the downgrader), so I decided to fix my decalibrated laser. The repair is classified as "Hammer and Screwdriver." I started dropping it (1foot) on the carpet floor in direction wich is the opposite of the direction it originaly fell, as far as I recall. Drop, load UMD, play (to where the jamming started), drop, load, play, drop, load, play. After 7-8 attempts - it worked with no problems :D
WOOT!

P.S. I was desperate and I did that. I don't put my word on it as an effective and safe solution. Shiaoran, I noticed that the buttons ([]OX/\) were more difficult to press at some point so I guess it was the thing behind them.

P.P.S. "A Sound of Thunder" socks bolls!

Sharkey
September 6th, 2005, 22:06
the [] button is kinda malfunctioning...
sony knows about the square button problem, and its common.
its a result of having the button too close to the screen.
if i were you id contact sony and see if theyd fix it for you.

Cirus
September 12th, 2005, 14:24
my psp survived once i dunno how was kina funny in a way. My usb cable got rapped around my chair wheels i spun around to get something and seen my psp fly past my face and out of my bedroom window :eek: . dunno how it got so much momentum. i ran downstairs to find my baby on the grass still playing a mp3. well lucky tbh :)

ForteGSX
September 13th, 2005, 21:23
my psp survived once i dunno how was kina funny in a way. My usb cable got rapped around my chair wheels i spun around to get something and seen my psp fly past my face and out of my bedroom window :eek: . dunno how it got so much momentum. i ran downstairs to find my baby on the grass still playing a mp3. well lucky tbh :)

You just got lucky that time...

bobcobb
September 14th, 2005, 00:27
I dropped my psp one night while I was playing in bed. A grasshopper came out of nowhere and attacked me and I dropped it underneath my bed. There was a scratch on the screen protector, but other than that its fine.

Cap'n 1time
September 14th, 2005, 03:44
instead of buying a psp just to brick it... mabey you should all just buy a brick eh?

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5610/untitled3copy0kv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

cablio
September 14th, 2005, 09:18
I'm not saying you are liar but I will never believe the thing that you say. How come the USB cable is so "jammed" in the port of the PSP and then somehow releases. If I'm not wrong, the force you apply to accelerate it from idle to speed, high enough to reach the window, is > or = to the force you will need to stop it. Doesn't make sense. I gotta see it. :rolleyes:

Humbug
September 14th, 2005, 17:40
instead of buying a psp just to brick it... mabey you should all just buy a brick eh?

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5610/untitled3copy0kv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

LMFAO

dtale15
December 27th, 2005, 09:26
reinact it and record it and show us haha
jp i belive

Phren
January 15th, 2006, 08:56
I believe XD
I was late for work and had it plugged in near the door near my deks, I had been playing some movie or something and lost interest, but wasn't concerned because it was pulgged in. Anyway, literally running out the door I hooked my leg on a loop of the recharge cord that was sticking out too much.
Nearly tripped me! And the PSP just TOOK OFF like a rocket. Hit the back of a coutch slightly, then, hit the wall with a sickening 'expensive electronics into a wall' sound. I was cursing physics, but the thing didn't seem to be effected, heck, when I unpaused it, it picked up like nothing had happened...

gleavek0
January 17th, 2006, 11:36
I dropped my PSP and the UMD drive no longer worked. Everything else on the PSP was fine, but the UMD was broken.

After going insane not having my PSP for a few days I decided to phone 118118 and get the number for Sony. It took a while in the queue but I eventually spoke to somebody in the PSP bit.

I told them what had happened "...all of a sudden my PSP stopped working...", to which they replied "...did you drop it..." and I said "...NO...".
They then took a few details from the back of the PSP and within 3 days sent a brand new PSP via Courier. They replaced the PSP, Battery and Charger. I was worried in case they sent me one with upgraded firmware but no no no...VERSION 2.0!

If I were you, any problems I would phone Sony, play dumb and just get it replaced for free - I didn't have to show anythin as Proof of Purchase!

Napalm-Death
January 20th, 2006, 04:21
My psp fell down when I pulled the usb with my leg while getting up..the screen didn't get damaged but my > button got stiff. =(

vaza
January 21st, 2006, 09:59
I dropped my PSP and the UMD drive no longer worked. Everything else on the PSP was fine, but the UMD was broken.

After going insane not having my PSP for a few days I decided to phone 118118 and get the number for Sony. It took a while in the queue but I eventually spoke to somebody in the PSP bit.

I told them what had happened "...all of a sudden my PSP stopped working...", to which they replied "...did you drop it..." and I said "...NO...".
They then took a few details from the back of the PSP and within 3 days sent a brand new PSP via Courier. They replaced the PSP, Battery and Charger. I was worried in case they sent me one with upgraded firmware but no no no...VERSION 2.0!

If I were you, any problems I would phone Sony, play dumb and just get it replaced for free - I didn't have to show anythin as Proof of Purchase!
the warantee sticker on the back, behind the battery is enough for them. they dont care if you didnt buy it, they have to fix it if the warantee is still intact.

Produkt
January 21st, 2006, 15:52
I guess I'm the only one who has actualy "Broken" the UMD drive and got it working again (Yes i Dropped it)

cbrown
January 28th, 2006, 04:58
wel, my psp had survived great drops and slams, one time i was skating home really fast and i hit a rock and landed on my psp, hard, and i weigh like 250 pounds, the only thing wrong wit it was the battery was jolted, another time was when i was walking to my frends house, i pulledmy headphones cord out and the psp came with it and hit the ground, it was fine, but 2 pixels are black :(

doogle_it
February 8th, 2006, 12:52
ive dropped myne on concrete floors about 5 or 6 times and it is still living strong ;)

I am so proud of my psp :')

ryan2006
February 8th, 2006, 14:57
ive dropped mines a couple of times and it seems ok but a few times iv had corrupt data wen i got to play an mp3 file but if i jus take ma memory stick out n put it back in it ok eny 1 know if this is a fault? and with the warranty is it from wen it was bought in japan if you buy it in a shop from the uk tht imports thm thanks:P :)

Libernullmal
February 27th, 2006, 21:24

I went out and bought a brick tried to hook the power coard to it but couldn't find the power insertion, so I taped it on with some duck tape... I then tried to turn the brick on but all i saw was red and little holes. So I think its working ok, attached a piece of carboard to the back and I could put UMB's in, they show pretty well I threw it out my window...luckly the window was open and it landed went outside and killed a kitten outside my window...so I picked my brick up and other than blood stains it still works :D the power cord was still attached, I then attached the usb cable to it, of course the little end was not fitting in place were the usb cable goes on a psp. So I taped that as well to the brick then laid it on my desk with the cord hanging down. I turned around as fast as I could and it flew from the desk on to my foot ***K that hurt..I think I am ok the UMD luckly a free demo I had was crunched but the little disc inside still looks ok.... I then ran off to the bathroom and stubbed my ****ing toe on the brick even peed myself cause it hurt... now you know that $250 + dollars for a psp less injuries, $5.00 for a brick and $2.00 for a good amount of Duck tape total of $7.00 + with injuries and mental damage.. the thought of bricking a brick is dangerous...more dangerous than bricking a pc yep yep.

chickenclaws
February 27th, 2006, 23:30
LOL
Hey if any one has a brick psp that isnt smash hammered and is still a psp not a rock sent them to MPH (the guy who made the downgrader) mabey he will work his magic and figure out how to fixed a bricked psp!

Libernullmal
February 28th, 2006, 21:14
LOL
Hey if any one has a brick psp that isnt smash hammered and is still a psp not a rock sent them to MPH (the guy who made the downgrader) mabey he will work his magic and figure out how to fixed a bricked psp!

I will have to remember that, I wonder what would happen if I took my brick that looks like a psp and sent it for warranty repair at Sony??? wonder if they would send it back???