PDA

View Full Version : Homebrews without a mod?

Retro_Gamer
November 17th, 2004, 15:41
Hi, forgive me if this is a stupid question. I was in a topic over on a forum for the Tapwave Zodiac, and someone mentioned that there are techniques for using Homebrew Apps on an X-Box without modding it. I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on the subject. If not, thanks anyway.

Retro

Cap'n 1time
November 17th, 2004, 15:59
Techniques exist to do it... but currently no legall way exists (that i can think of). I would check in the www.xbox-scene.com forum.

wraggster
November 17th, 2004, 17:54
theres such a thing as exploits but i wouldnt touch them with a bargepole

Cap'n 1time
November 17th, 2004, 18:11
theres such a thing as exploits but i wouldnt touch them with a bargepole

dunno if he is refering to the legall breaches or the danger of @#$$ing up your xbox with them, but it's best to just buy a modchip.

Also if you are interested in homebrew development for the xbox a perfectly legal dev kit exists called openXDK.

once again, look on www.xbox-scene.com for more info.

Eric
November 18th, 2004, 07:58
SoftMods wont hurt your Xbox you just need to know what to do. Also SoftMods are no where as illegal as Modchips seen as how you dont see promotions for them on search engines anymore since Sony sued Yahoo. Anyways you put it they are both illegal.

Cap'n 1time
November 18th, 2004, 12:43
SoftMods wont hurt your Xbox you just need to know what to do. Also SoftMods are no where as illegal as Modchips seen as how you dont see promotions for them on search engines anymore since Sony sued Yahoo. Anyways you put it they are both illegal.

not true, the only thing illegal about xbox mods is the software. Since soft mods depend completely on this software that uses the XDK they are completely illegal. No modchip is illegal, its what you do with them that is concidered piracy. Hardware modification does void your warenty.

I dont know how to program, but I think it shouldnt be that tough to make a openXDK dashboard replacment. When that is created then softmodding will be legal.

If you have plans to rip, copy, and back up xbox games that are not yours that is concidered illegal, but seeing how you want to run homebrews it's perfectly fine.