PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding the Dreamcast Scene

wraggster
April 6th, 2008, 09:22
The recent move to .org of DCEmulation, the sad disapearance of Consolevision, problems with DCEvolution and the loss of DCHomebrew not to mention other sites not being updated for a long time mean that we as a scene have some work to do to rebuild the scene back to the glory it deserves.

the subsites that were on both DCHomebrew and Consolevision should be first on our agenda to get rehosted on the net. Thankfully the Web Archive even if there isnt a backup can retrieve sites and even lost downloads. Ill gladly give the dreamcast sites a new home here if theres a back up of them and they arent already hosted elsewhere.

Maturion
April 6th, 2008, 13:39
I'm already hosting some websites that had gone lost. (dreamcast and xbox1 related)

The guys in the DCEmulation.org staff forum try to bring consolevision.com back online again, including all the member sites.

I've already taken a backup of all websites being hosted by B00B!, just in case the site goes down.

I think we should try to get all the websites from developers online again.

But there's one thing we should think about. We need a central community. All those different forums just split the Dreamcast scene into many small parts. We need ONE big forum. The Xbox-Scene was/is so well organized, there were two forums that were partner sites (XboxHacker and Xbox-Scene) where every developer released his stuff and there was Xbins, a centralized place where all scene applications were available.

So many different forums just split the community and make it harder to survive.

ron
April 6th, 2008, 22:10
What can I say ?.

We're in the same trance.... change or to die.

These days i'm rebuilding DCiberia, I'll tell you for next weekend.

Anyway the Dreamcast Scene is still alive and kicking

DCiberia is BACK !

http://www.dciberia.net/

I 'm Sorry ! ;-) Changes are changes !

Dull Blade
April 7th, 2008, 04:08
This all sounds so good, I hope it can be excectued smoothly. I'd hate to see more sites like consolvision fade away.

Elven6
April 7th, 2008, 18:29
How would you create a back up of a site? I should get in on this.

Mark30001
April 8th, 2008, 11:20
Anyone know what's up with DreamcastHistory.com (http://dreamcasthistory.com)?

The site used to have a pending renewal/deletion page since the beginning of March, but now it no longer exists. :/

Maturion
April 9th, 2008, 19:00
Down forever....

Elven6
April 11th, 2008, 23:20
I host some files I recovered from various offical Dreamcast sites, its mainly VMU stuff though.

http://www.freewebs.com/dreamcast9999/

masterchief929
April 11th, 2008, 23:53
i dont even have a dreamcast....

Elven6
April 13th, 2008, 20:53
Your missing out Masterchief929, the Dreamcast was supposed to be the home of the original Halo.

|darc|
April 15th, 2008, 04:27
Your missing out Masterchief929, the Dreamcast was supposed to be the home of the original Halo.

Halo was never planned for Dreamcast; it was originally designed for the Macintosh, but Bungie was purchased by Microsoft so it went to the Xbox.

quzar
April 15th, 2008, 04:31
Halo was never planned for Dreamcast; it was originally designed for the Macintosh, but Bungie was purchased by Microsoft so it went to the Xbox.

Actually it was originally conceived as a full arcade experience. Seperate installations and machines for each differnt aspect (vehicles, etc).

Guaripolo
April 15th, 2008, 04:48
Actually it was originally conceived as a full arcade experience. Seperate installations and machines for each differnt aspect (vehicles, etc).

No! you all are wrong!!!

It was conceived as a Street Fighter Clone!!!

.__________________________.

*cuack*

-------------------------------------------------------------
I think that the dreamcast scene needs a site where the homebrew is listed with full descriptions, comments, downloads, screenshots, videos and some kind of CD compilations so you can download one disc and play a lot of homebrew games... so anyone can cooperate with the project...

Elven6
April 29th, 2008, 23:25

It was one of the many platforms that were supposed to experince Halo fever, I forgot where I saw this, it was a while ago, I will try to dig something up on it.

JKKDARK
April 29th, 2008, 23:57

a Bungie employee mentioned a possible Dreamcast conversion in an interview years ago.

AtariOwl
May 23rd, 2008, 11:29
This is the thread that is sort of reflecting concerns i have about the DC scene.

I've just thought about starting some DC coding but everywhere i go there's dead homebrew sites - it has the feel of a scene dying on its arse - which seems such a terrible pity as i'd always been told how vibrant it was.

Am i worrying unduly? Is it still worth coding?