PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Neurotic Gamer?

wraggster
April 6th, 2008, 19:26
When I get my 360 back, the first thing I'm going to do is wipe my Bully file from the hard drive and start over. And I guarantee you when I replay it, I'll watch all of the cutscenes straight through, and almost try to forget that I ever started it. It won't be the first time.

It's one of the weird gaming neuroses I have, and I'm wondering if I'm alone. So, just to start a conversation: What are your gaming hangups or compulsions?

http://kotaku.com/376467/are-you-a-neurotic-gamer

limming
April 6th, 2008, 19:44
When I was about 8 or so, when I used to play Kirby Super Star for snes, I would do the same thing. I would pretend I was playing for the first time every time and I'd watch all of the tutorials and everything. Now that I think back about that it's kind of weird. I did that with some other games too.

Auriman1
April 6th, 2008, 20:10
I always watch the cutscenes when playing through a game, no matter how many times I've done it before. Tutorials, however, I can live without, unless they're very interesting/interactive.

Also, it's very rare I'll play a game through the whole way the first time playing it. I'll normally stop right close to or right before the end, then start from the beginning the next time I play it, normally exploring everything much more thoroughly than the first time, paying much more attention to what I'm doing, and then finishing it on this second playthrough. I don't know why, it's just normally what I do (this is especially true for RPG's)

Dorian
April 6th, 2008, 20:22
No matter how good the games get today,no matter how good the graphics,how many items,how creative the items,I will always slide right back to my habits of playing
Gloom (the quake 2 mod,enourmously fun,prequel to Tremulous)

TRIBES (Cmon,its tribes,it still works,still fun)

C&C:Yuri's Revenge (An awesome,if not one of the best RTS games out there.I love the sprite/voxel graphics rather than raster3D graphics for RTS)

I will always slide right back to these,I think they should update the graphics though,and re-release them.

JKKDARK
April 6th, 2008, 20:29
I'm not a big fan of cutscenes. Generally I don't watch them.

NoQuarter
April 6th, 2008, 20:33
I played metal gear solid 2 through the first time on hard and then proceded to beat it 5 more times getting all of the dog tags and looking at hot girls,lol.

I also play megaman 2 still to this day,as if I hadn't beat it before.

I can see myself behaving strangely like this for metal gear solid 4 :P

urherenow
April 6th, 2008, 20:38
I spend more time collecting games than I do playing them, but there are several oldies that I always go back to. For instance, if I see Rastan (very rare nowdays) I can't keep walking without pumping a few quarters in. I play it on MAME all the time as well. ButI have 12~14 gamecube/Wii games that I have NOT EVEN OPENED YET! But I've already paid for Mario Kart...

get the picture?

watupgroupie
April 6th, 2008, 21:15
The whole reason I play a game is usually for the sweet cut scenes. Well and for the fun gameplay, but I always look forward to the cut scenes.

____anders____
April 6th, 2008, 22:57
i always watch the cutscenes, usually they're quite cool ;)

especially in SSBB, they're awesome, got it yesterday and playing it with freeloader on my PAL wii, no dual channels cus i use freeloader :)

**1_Man_Matrix**
April 7th, 2008, 00:06
I do that with games I haven't played in a while.

Compulsion to play Doom. Guess I have a 'Doom' Syndrome, where I will play it each week without fail. It's always Doom 1, episode 1 on Ultra-violence...

Play it on my PSP, DS iPod, Phone, I play it anywhere, I download the Doom 3 mods that give you classic Doom, and the Quake 1 mods for Doom. I have a Doom addiction...

Also, play Half-life 2 through from the start like it's a new game :)

scottyboynow
April 7th, 2008, 00:19
I love watching the Final Fantasy pre-rendered cutscenes!

paco1984
April 7th, 2008, 01:11
its odd i used to always play fighting force on the psone and i had a real set routine for each level. looking back at it. it was kinda weird.

Cerepol
April 7th, 2008, 01:22
I Rarely use items in some games where in others I will use them all the time, It depends on what the game is and who the characters are.

When I get attached to characters I do everything I can to make sure they won't die and when I hate characters I go out of my way to do stupid things to them.

In RPG's like the original FF I hate it when my Characters don't have the exact same amount of EXP. When one of my characters dies and the battle ends I restart cause the exp's don't match exactly.

wubble
April 7th, 2008, 02:41
Yep that article rings true. I must have analogue throttle and brake controls in Grand Theft Auto ( http://www.tocaedit.com/forum/dload ). If I can't cruise with a low-noise engine, then what's the point?

My biggest problem though is with team fortress 2 - Playing as engineer, I can't help but voice spam all the "dagnabbit dammit" he comes up with, mainly cos it's freakin hilarious. I do it so often, I find myself hitting it even in the heat of battle.

mike_jmg
April 7th, 2008, 05:17
On RPGs I always try to make all my characters have the same level, although sometimes is really hard to do so. I have a friend who only focuses on the character he likes and it ends up with every ability and magic available.

Also, there are some games that I can't stop playing, I play them all the way most of the times I start them, like Megaman X3 (now I play it on psp), Power stone, Marvel vs Capcom, Fzero and Fzero GP legend (also on my psp)
Those are like the regular ones, when I have nothing else to play or I don't want to play the one I just got

brummerthedrummer
April 7th, 2008, 05:57
lets see...
I try to do things you're not supposed to in games. I always try to kill the guy i'm not supposed to. On Superman Returns for the PS2, I found a way to kill civilians that barely ever hurts the city. Some games i'll save it and purposely kill the ally i need to get through the level and then reload it just to kill them again. On open world games i like to go to the highest point and just stare at everything. i have the tendency to play a game and when i get stuck to try and try until i give up for about a month or so, come back, and beat that part i'm stuck on. I like to get 100% in the games that give you a percentage of completion. sometimes i like to save a save right before the last boss fight, and then one after i completed the game if it lets you roam around still. when i have a friend over and they are playing a game, i want to grab the remote from them and beat the part they die twenty times on, but i resist. if i am playing an xfire compatible game on my computer, i absolutely have to have xfire on so that i can brag to friends how geeky i am: how many hours ive played the particular game. with games that have saving at any moment, as soon as i do something, i save. i'm sure there are more i just can't think of them atm.

**1_Man_Matrix**
April 7th, 2008, 07:22
I'll repeat a section of a game until it's perfect.

With F.E.A.R. on PC, I would play a level and try to make it as smooth as possible... Or simply quickload and try again. Go into bullet-time and unleash hell.

But I love the fluid poetry in motion you can accomplish with those kind of games... Like the Tony Hawk series.

Hmmm, I'll have fun with Mirror's Edge :)

urherenow
April 7th, 2008, 08:48
brummerthedrummer:

I do too. The first time I ever saw the 'official' Metroid strategy guide, I realized that I get 1 more energy tank than the guide shows you. I always follow the same pattern so I get it every time. I guess that started it. Another thing I do is with Zelda (the original). Whenever I fire it up in an emulator I simply must go through the game without EVER touching the wooden sword.

Alas there is one thing you're not supposed to do, that I think EVERY 80s gamer wanted to do... that really couldn't be done (without some kind of hack)

KILL THE DAMN DOG ON DUCK HUNT!

Uruz 6
April 7th, 2008, 09:49
I always end up re-playing FF6 and MegaMan X4...

rbervoets
April 8th, 2008, 08:13
When i was like 9, i used to play Zelda OoT over and over again, i even perfected it :)

I still play it thx to PJ64 :)

oooooomonkeys
April 8th, 2008, 14:14
for me its tony hawk series if i fall in a mission/timed
run i always pause restart i think ive done it so many times my hands just do it automatically . fall/restart/fall/restart arghhhhh:rofl: