PDA

View Full Version : PicoDrive for PSP v1.40b - Genesis/Sega CD Emulator for the PSP

notaz
April 6th, 2008, 20:52
This is a bugfix release only, don't expect any speed improvements. It also has a few new features.

SVP emulation is working, but it's unplayable (too slow), because dynarec is not implemented (it needs too much work, and I want to work on something else, again). The dynarec from GP2X version is not suitable, because it's ARM only and non-portable.

Full changelog below:

Fixed sprite masking code. Thanks to Lordus for explaining how it works.
Added "disable sprite limit" option.
Added black level adjustment to display options.
Changed reset to act as 'soft' reset.
Added detection for Puggsy (it doesn't really have sram).
Some small timing adjustments.
Added support for SVP (Sega Virtua Processor) to emulate Virtua Racing. No recompiler for PSP version though.
Changed config file format, files are now human-readable. Game specific configs are now held in single file (but old game config files are still read when new one is missing).
Fixed a bug where some key combos didn't work as expected.
Adjusted fast renderer to work with more games, including VR.
Fixed a problem where SegaCD RAM cart data was getting lost on reset.
PicoDrive now comes with a game config file for some games which need special settings, so they should now work out-of-the-box. More games will be added with later updates.

download (http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/PicoDrive/PicoDrive_psp_140b.zip)
download kxploit version (http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/PicoDrive/PicoDrive_psp_140b_kxploit.zip)

Download and give feedback and Compatability Reports via comments

wraggster
April 6th, 2008, 21:00
thanks for the release :)

Sonicboy 101
April 6th, 2008, 21:00
Awesome!
Thank you very much for the emulator Notaz.

jurkevicz
April 6th, 2008, 21:24
I'm glad for this release! I hope more come soon~.

Veskgar
April 6th, 2008, 21:54
Whoa! Really cool surprise today. I've almost forgotten the joy of seeing new emulator updates and testing them out.

An impressive list of updates as always from Notaz. I think its especially cool that some problem games will have preset special settings to get them to work properly.

Its just great to see more activity in the development of one of the PSP's best emulators.

Thank you Notaz!

kharaboudjan
April 6th, 2008, 22:06
fantstic to see that you are working on one of the best emus for the psp! i just loove the picodrive, its a wonderful piece of art :D

many thanx again!

SpacemanSpiff
April 6th, 2008, 22:12
Excellent news! Improving the fast renderer makes a huge difference, since some games like Ristar were glitchy with it turned on and ran at less than full speed if you turned it off.
My only complaint so far is that it doesn't seem to read the config files I already had saved.

Joe88
April 6th, 2008, 22:19
so ive been looking for a new emu
how is this compared to DGEN?

Ryupowerup
April 6th, 2008, 22:22
so ive been looking for a new emu
how is this compared to DGEN?

most game run at FULL SPEED with 0 fame skip

and Sega CD game run at full speed

juiceface
April 6th, 2008, 22:39
yea dgen was good for its time, but this is definately the best genesis/sega CD emulator on the psp

kharaboudjan
April 6th, 2008, 22:55
i cant understand that ppl still are using DGEN.. picodrive is soo much faster and more stable =)

Joe88
April 6th, 2008, 23:11
i cant understand that ppl still are using DGEN.. picodrive is soo much faster and more stable =)

its been fine except for a few games like animaniacs

odino
April 7th, 2008, 00:25
THANKS Notaz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

(it needs too much work, and I want to work on something else, again)

cps3? :rolleyes:

CaptainMorgan4
April 7th, 2008, 02:03
Does anyone know how to get ad hoc to work on DGEN? Please someone help me I've had trouble with emulators and ad hoc ever since I first tried it a few weeks ago. I've tried NES and SNES and both have the same problem, the game will freeze after it launches or sometimes right as you launch. I don't know how to access the ad hoc mode on DGEN but please someone could you help me with this issue? I've copied the exact same emulator files from my PSP to the other (same exact firmware), and all my roms are zipped, HELP?

acidspunk
April 7th, 2008, 04:39
I still remember when you and AnotherGuest used to update this emulator for SonyEricsson and Nokia symbian mobiles. And a damn fine emulator it was. This psp version is the icing on the cake. You sure got talent, dude. Thanks for the awesome updates. :D

dgbbad
April 7th, 2008, 06:23
update WOOT!!! *once again bows down and forsakes all others before NOTAZ*

PSXP-ONE
April 7th, 2008, 06:46
Woo hoo!! thanks for the update Notaz, this is the best Sega emulator EVER!!!

PSXP-ONE
April 7th, 2008, 06:48
Woo hoo!! thanks for the update Notaz, this is the best SEGA emulator EVER!!!! I hope in future releases we also see 32X games support, that would be neat, anyway, you have done a fantastic Emulator! Thank you for sharing!

djbrotherson
April 7th, 2008, 18:55
This emulator is the best... wish Snes one was just as good for slim

marzsyndrome
April 7th, 2008, 21:40
Yay! Thank you Notaz for remembering my points in the end changelog-wise (Reset + Puggsy). I appreciate it! :thumbup:

I kinda feared PSP wouldn't have the right hardware to emulate SVP adequately enough, but I guess that's life really!

Again, thank you. :)

ojdon
April 8th, 2008, 00:52
I thought when the SVP was first emulated the handheld versions of this emulator were running at 17FPS? Was this removed? I got the impression it was or it has been put on hold at least.

Anyway, I love the soft-reset function, because it's usful for rom hacking too. Oh and I too would love to see 32x support, but this is still the greatest Megadrive emulator to date, thank you!

wolfpack
April 8th, 2008, 01:23
im happy now :D

_Shin_
April 8th, 2008, 02:19
yeah, nice ! I love this emulator, especially the MegaCD part, Sonic CD&Snatcher on the go ^^

Notaz> could you give a look at the tv-out function like in the moded version of gpsp ? (psp slim owner could beta est it if you want ^^)
thanks a lot and congrats on this great release ! :thumbup:

jurkevicz
April 8th, 2008, 02:42
I still would love if 32X was aded to it.

jamotto
April 8th, 2008, 04:58
An execellent update, all it's really missing is adhoc. Thanks for the emulator Notaz.

kharaboudjan
April 8th, 2008, 19:53
i have tried many sega cd games now and have noticed that many of them actually runs at full speed now with fast render! they didnt do that before =)

some sega cd games would still need 5-10 % speed up to get full speed. Virtua racing would be so nice to play at higher speed. it looks so cute on the psp screen.

many thanx again notaz, this is really one of the best things that has happened to us psp users!

Apoklepz
May 2nd, 2008, 15:34
Why is it that PAL region games are limited to 50/50 fps instead of full 60/60 fps?

I tried everything and even with Fast rendering and sound at 1105mhz they still runs 50/50 fps... I really want Earthworm Jim SE CD and Earthworm Jim 2 to run 60/60 fps since they lack accurate Speed on SNEStyl.

Other than that...this emulator is tops!

sukhi-2006
May 10th, 2008, 21:31
It's an impressive emulator on psp, but i'm afraid the psp is really poor system! because psp doesn't have any cradle, which can connect control pads or hard drives, i prefer this emulator on gp2x, where you can use control pads and hard drives.

acidspunk
May 11th, 2008, 13:14
It's an impressive emulator on psp, but i'm afraid the psp is really poor system! because psp doesn't have any cradle, which can connect control pads or hard drives, i prefer this emulator on gp2x, where you can use control pads and hard drives.

Who the hell wants to use control pads or hard drives on handheld consoles??

tony_vodka2
May 11th, 2008, 20:44
Haha , ya control pad would prob be bigger than ya psp :)

SpacemanSpiff
May 12th, 2008, 00:08
Why is it that PAL region games are limited to 50/50 fps instead of full 60/60 fps?

I tried everything and even with Fast rendering and sound at 1105mhz they still runs 50/50 fps... I really want Earthworm Jim SE CD and Earthworm Jim 2 to run 60/60 fps since they lack accurate Speed on SNEStyl.

Other than that...this emulator is tops!

Switch the region preference to NTSC

Paulmolive
May 17th, 2008, 08:24
Will you be able to put a turbo mode in your next release Notaz? I really enjoy being able to push a button to speed up the game. Until that feature comes about, I'll be playing Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV on DGEN.

downloaddownload
May 28th, 2008, 13:31
Pal games only ran at 50 frames. Its how UK TVs are. They run at full speed at 50. If you want 60 frames then you need to get either the japanese version or the USA version. Also UK tvs had weird resolutions too

SpacemanSpiff
May 28th, 2008, 17:12
Pal games only ran at 50 frames. Its how UK TVs are. They run at full speed at 50. If you want 60 frames then you need to get either the japanese version or the USA version. Also UK tvs had weird resolutions too

Most PAL games simply reduce the speed of the gameplay by 20% instead of readjusting the game speed to play the same as the NTSC versions. That's why the option to switch between NTSC and PAL mode is useful.

CaptainMorgan4
May 28th, 2008, 19:58
Anyone know how to access Adhoc mode in DGEN (1.70?)?

kharaboudjan
May 29th, 2008, 15:36
Anyone know how to access Adhoc mode in DGEN (1.70?)?

soo, please stop nagging about that old DGEN all the time in picodrive threads, PLEASE!

Calleh
June 13th, 2008, 20:44
Hey.
Uh, just wondering.
Is 32X playable in picodrive?
I Love me some Knuckles chaotix.
Sega CD is also playable right?

acidspunk
June 13th, 2008, 22:08
Hey.
Uh, just wondering.
Is 32X playable in picodrive?
I Love me some Knuckles chaotix.
Sega CD is also playable right?

32x is not playable. Sega cd is playable depending on the game. Tried Silpheed and Road Avenger and both ran pretty well.

Calleh
June 13th, 2008, 22:18
32x is not playable. Sega cd is playable depending on the game. Tried Silpheed and Road Avenger and both ran pretty well.
What about Sonic CD?
Cause I luv me some Sonic CD too.
Thanks anyway.

acidspunk
June 14th, 2008, 01:49
What about Sonic CD?
Cause I luv me some Sonic CD too.
Thanks anyway.

Haven't tried it. Would love for it to be playable, though. Eternal Champions would also rock. :P

bah
June 14th, 2008, 01:54
Sonic CD runs great with cd-audio sound (in mp3 form).
More than playable, essentially perfect.

kharaboudjan
June 14th, 2008, 08:54
i would say the sega cd emulation is almost perfect. some games need fast render but thats no trouble!

so, perhaps 32X would be possible on the psp after all.. hopefully there is at least a chance that we will get the chance to play the 32X games on the psp :)

Calleh
June 14th, 2008, 12:20
i would say the sega cd emulation is almost perfect. some games need fast render but thats no trouble!

so, perhaps 32X would be possible on the psp after all.. hopefully there is at least a chance that we will get the chance to play the 32X games on the psp :)

The only 32X game I've even been interested in was Chaotix haha.

jurkevicz
June 14th, 2008, 21:06
After Burner II for the 32X was really good too. Also MK2.

jurkevicz
June 14th, 2008, 21:06
After Burner II for the 32X was really good too. Also MK2.

Randomness
June 15th, 2008, 04:37
Picodrive is awesome. It's by far the best MegaDrive emulator I've tried. Runs games like Worms, Seaquest DSV and Desert Strike where DGEN and a few others were failing

Great to see new releases still coming :thumbup:

July 2nd, 2008, 17:07
wonder if there are any plans for 32 X compadibilty.has anyone ever even tried to have 32X emulation on psp

Zack
July 2nd, 2008, 18:11
wonder if there are any plans for 32 X compadibilty.has anyone ever even tried to have 32X emulation on psp

Afaik it is planned, just when it will be released/made is the question.

Exophase
July 3rd, 2008, 14:18
Afaik it is planned, just when it will be released/made is the question.

I haven't heard anything to suggest that notaz was working on 32x support, but if he did I doubt he'd do an optimized recompiler for the PSP. I say this because he hasn't been optimizing Picodrive for PSP in general, and if he isn't going to write a MIPS backend for his SVP compiler then I don't see why he'd write SH2 ones, especially when he doesn't have 32X support already done in the first place.

So if he actually does it it'd be even slower than SVP is.

acidspunk
July 3rd, 2008, 15:05
Who cares about 32x anyway.. It has only a handful of games, 85% of which are utter crap.

jamotto
July 3rd, 2008, 15:29
Who cares about 32x anyway.. It has only a handful of games, 85% of which are utter crap.

If an emulator could be made then why not? There where some very good games on the 32x they just where far and few between.

July 8th, 2008, 17:04
well i just want know what makes it so hard to do

tee23
August 16th, 2008, 04:13
uhhhhhhh my psp has the latest version but its not working it says game could not be started do i need a disc or something to start it wtf?

bah
August 16th, 2008, 06:16
tee23: You cannot run homebrew on an official firmware.

Google and read up on: PSP custom firmware

Do you have a fat or a slim PSP?

EDIT: Some rough background info. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148004676&postcount=15)

dustee
January 4th, 2009, 00:31
You probably heard this a ton of times, but great job!

Any advice dealing with this bug I'm encountering in Lunar Silver Story? The title screen of the game appears then fades away. Nothing happens afterwards- no red blink, no nothing. Lunar Eternal Blue runs just fine however.