PDA

View Full Version : Wab & PSP Dev Now Working on V2.0 Downgrader (Heres Video Proof of Downgrader)

wraggster
September 5th, 2005, 21:18
Wab (http://www.wab.com) and PSP-Dev (http://www.psp-dev.1emulation.com/) have tonight released a video that is proof (from what i and other site ops can make out) of the Downgrader in action, and the really hot news is that they are working on not only a downgrader for v1.52 but also for v2.0, now they are taking longer to test this because neither they or any PSP owner wants their brand new PSP killing because of a firmware hack that enables you to play homebrew

Ok so you want to see the video, well click the comments for the link :)

and please comment on what you see ;)

wraggster
September 5th, 2005, 21:19
Heres the video link http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/Video_Final.rar

More Mirrors
http://www.xente.mundo-r.com/cybbla...Video_Final.rar
or here
http://web.icoiig.es/ubalda/Video_Final.rar

GMaC
September 5th, 2005, 21:25
Right on man

v_toe
September 5th, 2005, 21:32
cant wait till it comes out i regreted upgrading the firmware i only put up with it because of the wallpaper function and has made me realise how much i miss emus and homebrew on the psp

GMaC
September 5th, 2005, 21:37
A source has informed me of a parody video currently on the web...

http://rapidshare.de/files/4762591/downgrader.wmv.html

Someone sure doesn't like WAB!

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showth...p?t=8943&page=3

Shapyi
September 5th, 2005, 21:47
Interesting video, shows promise. We're just gonna have to wait and see. If it works with 2.00 then that would be amazing, because I'd be able to try 2.00 without worrying about losing 1.50 forever.

Good luck guys, I'm glad to see PSP-DEV is helping.

pepegomez
September 5th, 2005, 22:03
omg finnally, hope theill release it asap

SpecV
September 5th, 2005, 22:15
The video was kinda blurry, I couldn't see the firmware version before/after the flash update. But with Wab's reputation, I doubt it's a fake.

pepegomez
September 5th, 2005, 22:30
i saw it was a 1.5 before and a 2.0 after

*o*
September 5th, 2005, 22:39
Omg!!!!! Finalllyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Groo
September 5th, 2005, 22:57
1.5 before and 2.0 after???? Then itīs not a downgrader....

Heran_Bago
September 5th, 2005, 23:02
It's impossible to tell anything with that quality. However, I still believe that this project isn't an ellaborate hoax.

slik da relic
September 6th, 2005, 00:07
1.5 before and 2.0 after???? Then itīs not a downgrader....

i think this is bcuz its very difficult to make the downgrader. but u do not stop finding other solutions. this solution is for 1.5 users, which makes me happy.

da relic

Meshyf
September 6th, 2005, 01:24
Oo
My brother upgraded like a special ed student. :D Glad to see he can change it back. Almost just in time for the euro launch. Good goin wab

chronoswing
September 6th, 2005, 01:24
i saw it was a 1.5 before and a 2.0 after

What? No it wasn't. It was 1.52 before then 1.50 after. You have to make the video screen small enough so its not so blurry anymore then you can see. I didn't see a 2 at all.

Groo
September 6th, 2005, 01:40
What? No it wasn't. It was 1.52 before then 1.50 after. You have to make the video screen small enough so its not so blurry anymore then you can see. I didn't see a 2 at all.
I agree. Iīve not seen 2.0 anywhere. I trust them, so i think the downgrader will be ready in a little time. I hope. :p

urherenow
September 6th, 2005, 01:47
Are you people so stupid?

That video doesn't show jack. My PSP happens to SAY that it's version 2.0 right now and it plays all homebrew just fine (including the program to make it say that it's a 1.50 again).

Once again... If you could get a 1.5x and up to run an unsigned program then there would be no reason for a downgrade.

ForteGSX
September 6th, 2005, 02:03
Hey, we still have hope that the WAB team isn't making this an elaborate hoax.

NeoXCS
September 6th, 2005, 02:19
Why would anyone doubt Wab? They are a respectable group. And they wouldn't be messing with everyone.

That video doesn't show jack. My PSP happens to SAY that it's version 2.0 right now and it plays all homebrew just fine (including the program to make it say that it's a 1.50 again).
Well you do see them messing around with an edited upgrader. And what you are refering to...is another program they made! Just wait and and see. I'm rooting for you Wab team!

urherenow
September 6th, 2005, 03:07
Why would anyone doubt Wab?

I don't doubt their skill and admire all they have done so far... I'm not a hater, just a skeptic :p

And what you are refering to...is another program they made!
Which is also why it was so easy to come up with that video. Not exactly what I would call an "elaborite" hoax... I would just assume here that they made the video to get flamers off of their case so they can work quietly. But I also assume that in reality that wasn't unsigned code actually running on a 1.52 for obvious reasons or if not, just look 3 posts up.

Just wait and and see. I'm rooting for you Wab team!

I'm rooting for them too, but the question still remains... If they manage to get unsigned code to run on a 2.0, then what would be the point of downgrading in the first place? Everyone will jump on 2.0 when/if we get things to boot on it. even the 1.5x sure it doesn't have anything new but why risk flashing your system rom if you can get unsigned code on it in the first place?

sarla1596
September 6th, 2005, 03:11
great new to hear (especially 2.0) props given to PSP-DEV!!!

PSP_Newbie
September 6th, 2005, 03:33
i think its much easier to get an edited firmware that was originally signed(at least thats my guess at what the downgrader is) than to make up a whole new program(app, emulator, game, etc) and get it to work on a 2.0 when it was never signed in the first place. im guessing that the psp detects it as an update instead of a "game on the memory stick" as it shows up on a 1.5/1.0
anyways, my 2 cents
cheers to wab if they get it working properly, it would be nice for my friends to downgrade a new psp instead of having to track a 1.5 down to play homebrew

Omoikane
September 6th, 2005, 05:07
kinda blurry. i like the music. but its gonna be verrrrrrrry nice to play some LCS then click that little program and play some nintendo.

ninjaturtlepower
September 6th, 2005, 06:27
How do I check what version I have?

*o*
September 6th, 2005, 08:04
i watched the video and why does it all go grey for a bit? anyway...after that the psp has moved over about 2cm....they swapped the psps :mad:

PSP_Newbie
September 6th, 2005, 08:34
the grey part is probably where all the files are being written to ROM, etc
as for the psp moving, yes it did move like 2cm...it might have been swapped for another, but i do hope you r wrong =P
i doubt that this is some kind fo elaborate hoax...

*o*
September 6th, 2005, 08:39
it seems to good to be true

PSP_Newbie
September 6th, 2005, 08:47
i know what ya mean, but wab has made a bunch of useful programs before(version changer trick, etc)
plus, im just hoping its true :D

Wysiwyg
September 6th, 2005, 09:16
Well im still not too sure about this one. They dont help themself by "moving / swapping" PSPs. Also, whos to say that this is not just a vamped up version of their Version Changer anyways.

It would be nice to see but I cant see it for a bit. But if you gus are for real.... good luck as you have aload of people to prove wrong

sagatr
September 6th, 2005, 09:46
i watched the video and why does it all go grey for a bit? anyway...after that the psp has moved over about 2cm....they swapped the psps :mad:

They did not swap the PSP. If you look at the MAC address before and after the blackout you will notice they are the same. This means it is the same PSP. :D

*o*
September 6th, 2005, 09:54
Yay!!! Im Happy!!! That Means Its Probably Real

demonpig
September 6th, 2005, 10:00
Yay!!! Im Happy!!! That Means Its Probably Real
No more happy before the true downgrader appears!!! :cool:
There are too many doubtful points that we should just sit and see!

alexh
September 6th, 2005, 10:46
You know that WAB released a version changer (2.5) for PSP v1.00/1.50 to allow them to run UMD games that require a firmware of v1.52 or greater?

Does WAB's version changer program actually change the firmware value displayed in the PSP's menu settings?

Could this downgrader video be fake?

I suggest, as did urherenow a few posts ago, that the video *could* really be of a v1.00/1.50 PSP with it's version changed to v1.52 using WAB's version changer. As a v1.00/1.50 PSP it would be capable of running ANY code (such as a fake downgrader), unlike a REAL v1.52 which will be incapable of running anything except properly signed code.

Anyone tried WAB's Version changer 2.5 (http://www.wab.com/tools/Wab_Version_Changer_V2.rar) ?

weejames
September 6th, 2005, 10:54
Ive tried the version changer and yes it does change the value displayed in the Settings menu. So yes, it is possible that thats exactly what they're doing here.

But they wouldnt do that.... would they?

Groo
September 6th, 2005, 11:11
I think wab people don't have a reason for such an ellaborate hoax. They have released some good psp stuff before. So, why don't believe them??

weejames
September 6th, 2005, 11:12
Yeah.. to be fair i do believe this is true.. was just stirring it a bit :P

alexh
September 6th, 2005, 11:28
I agree that the tools that WAB have released before are good, very useful. I have used their 'o' to 'x' JAP to USA firmware changer.

However being able to create a signed executable is WAY WAY beyond what they have done before.

Any technique that they can come-up with to launch their "degrader" application can be asserted to running homebrew applications.

I am not saying it is beyond their capability, but I would be very curious to know how they intend to do it.

Mr.Modem
September 6th, 2005, 14:01
I don't think this is a hoax. Wab has released great hacks before and it would be really pointless to fake this. They would loose all their reputation and they would probably be killed by mad 1.52 owners :p Well lets just wait and see.

BigDaddyXD
September 6th, 2005, 14:16
Sure they would get killed... now that they released their faces to the public ^_^

Mr.Modem
September 6th, 2005, 14:43
But if they release it they will probably be killed by Sony assassins :p It's a really tough decision.

PPP(PROWD PSP OWNER)
September 6th, 2005, 15:11
I thought yoshiro was Japenese/chinese ????

neogeronimo
September 6th, 2005, 15:52
1/ don't forget Wab are not the only one working on this project !

2/ yoshihiro is french or from belgium
Don't remember exactly

3/ i think they will release it and it's not an hoax
They had make grat things before it
And now they are 2 teams working together to release it

pepegomez
September 6th, 2005, 16:42
oops :) i changed, i meant it was a 2.0 before and a 1.5 after, could be 1.52 too but im not sure, tooooo blurry

urherenow
September 6th, 2005, 17:13
:rolleyes:
You know that WAB released a version changer (2.5) for PSP v1.00/1.50 to allow them to run UMD games that require a firmware of v1.52 or greater?

Does WAB's version changer program actually change the firmware value displayed in the PSP's menu settings?

Could this downgrader video be fake?

I suggest that the video *could* really be of a v1.00/1.50 PSP with it's version changed to v1.52 using WAB's version changer. As a v1.00/1.50 PSP it would be capable of running ANY code (such as a fake downgrader), unlike a REAL v1.52 which will be incapable of running anything except properly signed code.

Anyone tried WAB's Version changer 2.5 (http://www.wab.com/tools/Wab_Version_Changer_V2.rar) ?

only 8 posts and you're already breaking common courtesy... why don't you read the thread before you post? Check mine on page 2.

SoQb0nc5r
September 6th, 2005, 17:55
the video is blurry, its look that it changed from 1.52 to 1.5, cant wait for the release, and i hope its no hoax

BaconButty
September 6th, 2005, 20:56
I can't help feeling also that there is a bit of version changer trickery going on here - I mean, if they could get unsigned code to run on a genuine 1.52, wouldn't that mean that there was now no need for a downgrader at all?

Cap'n 1time
September 6th, 2005, 22:04
I can't help feeling also that there is a bit of version changer trickery going on here - I mean, if they could get unsigned code to run on a genuine 1.52, wouldn't that mean that there was now no need for a downgrader at all?

It could just be that somhow... without modifying the signature, they somehow pulled off a way of replacing the firmware file with 1.5x whatever - its probably fake, and replaced it with a version of the 1.5 firmware.

now i have been told that thats not exactly possible, as the firmware rips that currently exist dont include EVERYTHING. I dont like wab, but i dont think they would joke about this. lets wait and see what happens.

demonpig
September 7th, 2005, 01:40
I thought yoshiro was Japenese/chinese ????
:mad: No Don't say he is a chinese.
:mad: No chinese will looks like that and held a donation without any useful result.

demonpig
September 7th, 2005, 01:41
The ture process of the video
You can read this post while watching the video to campare
1.Run the programme
2.To the confirm screen(with a start botton at the middle of the screen)
3.Now you can press O to start and X to cancel
4.They press X
5."Do you want to cancel the update?" with yes and no
6.press yes
7.The system auto restart

That's explains why it is 1.52 before and 1.52 after.
They do not contiue the programme.

I don't know the reason, I just wait and see the result

ataribob
September 7th, 2005, 02:22
It's like this.
Sony cannot make you upgrade.
They can make the Games that require you to upgrade.
You can buy the PSP any version.
1.00-1.50-1.51- 1.52-2.00.
It's your Psp you can make it any version you want.Up or Down/
Sony did not recall any PSP's

They will keep updating the Firmware.
And the firmware will keep getting changed back.

As it is now any Game will work with the Wab Changer.
So all the 1.0 and 1.50 users Can play any game.

It's the 1.51 and 2.0 users that are crying at the team right now calling them fake.

NeoXCS
September 7th, 2005, 02:29
That's explains why it is 1.52 before and 1.52 after.
They do not contiue the programme.
It's 1.50 after. Look closely.

ddblue
September 7th, 2005, 02:31
These guys are doing this for free, in their spare time. People shouldn't forget that.

And I have a small question (hopefully not a dumb question) - Why not focus on 2.0 and forget about 1.52 / 1.51 people for now? After all, if you manage to bend 2.0 to your will, the other people can just upgrade anyway.

-d

MaverickHunterX
September 7th, 2005, 02:35
I will personally donate money to these fine people if they enable me to expand my PSP's capabilities. 5-10 bucks is in order..cheers!

urherenow
September 7th, 2005, 07:24
It's the 1.51 and 2.0 users that are crying at the team right now calling them fake.

Nope. I've had and will always have (untill homebrew runs on a higher version) a 1.5... and I'm saying it's fake. No disrespect to WAB and I beleive they are doing thier best to make it happen, but at the moment I think the intent of that video was to keep flaming newBs from bugging them. Too many idiots were crying "Prove it!" so there you have it.

demonpig
September 7th, 2005, 08:23
Nope. I've had and will always have (untill homebrew runs on a higher version) a 1.5... and I'm saying it's fake. No disrespect to WAB and I beleive they are doing thier best to make it happen, but at the moment I think the intent of that video was to keep flaming newBs from bugging them. Too many idiots were crying "Prove it!" so there you have it.
so they use the cheating way to prove?

urherenow
September 7th, 2005, 09:43
so they use the cheating way to prove?
Not to prove, but to try and give flamers a big cup of shut the hell up so they can work in peace.

ataribob
September 7th, 2005, 18:52
Well you could change the ICON and BMP to make it look like the Downgrader.
Using wab changer 2. 5

Then you could show it going from 2.0 to 1.0 easy enought

MaverickHunterX
September 7th, 2005, 18:59
If Wraggster supports them and shows there might be hope of this being real, then I for one will at least pay some attention. And theres no harm in letting them try. I have seen some pretty crappy proof videos before, and then wham! there out with the programs, and everyone is retracting their comments.

sh3-rg
September 7th, 2005, 20:01
From PS Dev: a high res video. check it, much easier to see what goes on. Nice, erm, message at the end of the vid, too ;)

Cut n paste:

It seems that www.wab.com is down, so here is some Yoshihiro words to all people:

"Hello everybody, I know that you are expecting our downgrader with a lot of impatience but we are still working on it. I want say that all bullshit talking about me that i can see make me laugh and show that you only have time to waste. I want also add , I'm not Sergent007 who is in fact only a 14 years old child who uses the swap exploit found by PSP DEV Team to hack psp 1.5 so why talk about this? I hope these trailers will be appreciated by you because me and PSP Dev Team have worked hard on them."

sanguinus
September 21st, 2005, 17:31
I went on to the dev website and I found out that they are not making it any more and the ties between the 2 companies boke down.