PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Console Hacked

wraggster
April 7th, 2008, 18:41
This is sure to piss Nintendo Off but Wii Hacker Waninkoko has posted a video of the hacking of the Virtual Console. It seems that he has made his own Virtual Console Channel and that you can take off your games and play them on another Wii.

Heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/v/eXpHoNOtP_U

Discuss via Comments

h2923j42n2
April 7th, 2008, 18:56
With the emulators that are starting to get released, I don't see much of a point to this. Wii remote support will eventually be added when the libraries are updated, and the emulators are more customizable than the Virtual Console (change controller buttons, etc.). Not to mention, that hopefully, they can figure out a way to remove the time limits from homebrew channels. That way, there are NES, SNES, Genesis and other sorts of emulator channels. If the same thing could be done on WiiWare titles, Internet Channel, etc., that could pose as an even bigger problem.

mikebeaver
April 7th, 2008, 19:03
Yeah, I hope WiiWare titles don't get hacked, that will ruin it for all of us!

Mike..

DimensionT
April 7th, 2008, 19:13
News sites should seriously boycot this release. Emulators are much better (play every game, save states, possible Wiimote support etc...), are much less illegal, and therefor much less likely to piss Nintendo off.

Wraggster, please... Don't let this get posted here.

sappo
April 7th, 2008, 19:20
The author said he won't release this as it's only something he did for testing.

And don't start the "FAEK!"!!111" thing as the author is one of the most famous Wii homebrew programmer, which created things like Wii Dual Channels Remover and Wii IOS Patcher.

Hevyduty
April 7th, 2008, 20:02
I own two Wiis and I'd love to be able to move VC games I've purchased between the two units.

For NES, SNES, and Genesis games, I agree emus are better. However, has a full-speed N64 emu for Wii been released yet? That's the one I buy games for the most since I never owned a N64 back in the day.

crouchingleech
April 7th, 2008, 20:50
The only advantage this would have over emulators is how easy it would be to use and how quickly it would start. Also, as the last poster said, N64 would be nice until we get a full-speed emulator.

It would be at least fun to try if this method gets released.

DimensionT
April 7th, 2008, 20:58
"Fun to try" isn't a good enough reason, seeing as how much this is going to piss Nintendo off.

Full speed N64 will be here sooner or later... Look at Deadalus on the PSP. I'd much rather wait then potentially make Nintendo resort to patches this early, only because of my impatience.

crouchingleech
April 7th, 2008, 21:47
"Fun to try" isn't a good enough reason, seeing as how much this is going to piss Nintendo off.

Full speed N64 will be here sooner or later... Look at Deadalus on the PSP. I'd much rather wait then potentially make Nintendo resort to patches this early, only because of my impatience.

I know, but I thought that the consequences of "pissing Nintendo off" wouldn't be that bad here because it seems like the method used to make this custom VC channel was very different from the current ways people are running homebrew. Even if whatever is being exploited here is fixed, I don't think it would affect wii homebrew as it exists now.

I'm just saying that if this is released, I would like to try it, but I'm perfectly fine waiting for emulators. I definitely appreciate how quickly the wii scene is developing compared to, say, the psp scene (full-speed SNES this fast, for example). I guess it's because people can just expand on existing work on gamecube.

JKKDARK
April 7th, 2008, 22:29
mm I really don't like it. It would damage to Nintendo seriously, mainly if many people notice about it.

I hope it's a fake video :(

DimensionT
April 7th, 2008, 22:38
I know, but I thought that the consequences of "pissing Nintendo off" wouldn't be that bad here because it seems like the method used to make this custom VC channel was very different from the current ways people are running homebrew. Even if whatever is being exploited here is fixed, I don't think it would affect wii homebrew as it exists now.

I'm just saying that if this is released, I would like to try it, but I'm perfectly fine waiting for emulators. I definitely appreciate how quickly the wii scene is developing compared to, say, the psp scene (full-speed SNES this fast, for example). I guess it's because people can just expand on existing work on gamecube.

This in no way will cause Nintendo to try and patch homebrew... But I'm willing to bet that the security exploits used to hack VC are the same exploits they used to make custom channels. Which means homebrew channels, the duplicate channel remover and anything using those exploits will be pointless once this gets patched... They won't work anymore... Coders will have to start over from scratch if they want to make channels again.

I really don't think you want to have to boot Zelda up every time you want to play homebrew, do you?

This is a step in the completely wrong direction... And honestly, it's probably too late. I'm sure Nintendo's already caught wind of this.

mcdougall57
April 7th, 2008, 23:33
piracy is bad, emulators are better for the community but who ever owns all the games they download?

Eviltaco64
April 7th, 2008, 23:41
Whatever, They charge $10 a N64 game.
That's alright, but sometimes you can find the REAL cartridge for the same or a cheaper price. Now if they re-released Mario 64 with motion sensing and the Super Mario Galaxy engine...then I'd, well, do something gauranteed (perhaps make some eggs).
But the same exact re-release of the same exact game (and since it's an emulation it's obviously not perfect, even if it's 99.7%) might as well be able to be free or cheaper.
Or at least a collection.
There's Virtual Console sales, ok, but what about this...a Super Mario Collection (with all the NES, SNES, and N64 games along with some re-releases of rare BS-X and import titles, and maybe Hotel Mario? lol). Do you know how WELL that would do?

mcdougall57
April 7th, 2008, 23:58
i agree but ive seen some cartridges for rediculous prices about £30 for smash bros but this is at money grubbing gamestation i havent tried ebay. If only there were some way to prove you already owned the cartridge and were able to download the same game for free.

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 02:12
i agree but ive seen some cartridges for rediculous prices about £30 for smash bros but this is at money grubbing gamestation i havent tried ebay. If only there were some way to prove you already owned the cartridge and were able to download the same game for free.

£30? I remember when I got my copy, I got it used for $20 (and that's a lot cheaper since it's US currency as well).

myownfreeworld
April 8th, 2008, 02:27
I'm seeing something @_@
A usb adapter to scan the catrage of your old Nintendo games that plugs in to the wii. Then you cash it in for points or download the game to the wii. Problem solved..sorta

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 03:16
^ - Yeah that's a good idea.
There must be some sort of code that Nintendo has used for a while.
But what if you had like 25 N64 games that werent even on VC and you scanned them?
Youd get like 25000 Wii Points! Then Nintendo wouldnt make any money.

Category
April 8th, 2008, 15:59
^ - Yeah that's a good idea.
There must be some sort of code that Nintendo has used for a while.
But what if you had like 25 N64 games that werent even on VC and you scanned them?
Youd get like 25000 Wii Points! Then Nintendo wouldnt make any money.

Thats simple... Just get the "scanner" to recognize WHICH game was downloaded, and then it could interface with your purchase data on the wii shop, and allow you to download ONLY that game - not jsut give you wii points.

Either way, that'll never happen.

But I do agree this could cause nintendo to clamp down on custom made channels, which is bad news. Homebrew will still be possible, we'll just lose out on the option of having a channel for it on the menu.

DPyro
April 8th, 2008, 16:06
This is why you don't update your Wii firmware. With this hack, I don't see how it's any different to when Dark_Alex hacked the PSP PS1 emulation. Even with regular emulation, how many people actually own the games they play on it?

DvdXploitr
April 9th, 2008, 07:25
ADVANTAGE: A Friend of mine has a Wii and for some reason or another (he don't care of his stuff too well) it's already gotten to where it does not read Discs. He has probably about 20-30 Virtual Console games. He bought another Wii (for a very premium price at that) for playing his Retail games (which in a way sucked, b/c i had borrowed his retail games and had to give them back once he bought another Wii!). Now he's got 2 Wii systems...one that he has his Virtual Console games on, and other he uses for playing Retail games...Knowing it wasn't going ot work, we tried to copy the games and put them on his new Wii with no success.....It would be nice in his case for him to transfer his games to his newer Wii so he don't have to change machines.

DISADVANTAGE: This would really bring on more piracy if brought online. It would be on Torrent sites everywhere and Nintendo would stop releasing Virtual Console games which was a big selling point of the console!

Goglu666
April 10th, 2008, 17:55
I'm pretty sure it's because of that new update with the IOS## that will check for unsigned discs and channels.

This could break your Wii if the IOS get's updated and detects an unofficially signed channel on your console, preventing it to boot.

Not only for VC, but mostly for the SNES and Homebrew Channel.

I really don't see how emulators is better than VC in terms of legal actions. They are still games wich you did not pay.

But it's true that emulators could lead to using Wiimote for them. I used to connect my wiimote via bluetooth to play on my computer...until my computer broke dowwn :mad:

DimensionT
April 10th, 2008, 18:20
Homebrew emulators are legal because well, they're legal. If they weren't, every emulator made would've been shut down a long time ago... But that doesn't mean Nintendo's gonna like it.

By hacking the VC, you're basicly pirating Nintendo's emulators along with the games (unless the emulators are in thw Wii's firmware, I dunno). Even saying that, it's not nearly as bad as what this COULD lead to... Hacking WiiWare games. I doubt they were gonna be signed any differently, though they will be now.

Bobelvago
May 4th, 2008, 01:58
Wii Ware was hacked recently x_X

PeyeRate420
May 4th, 2008, 03:11
indeed it was :( im gonna BUY the wiiware games i like though and i have injected smashbros into sin and punishment but you can bet ill buy the real channel :P i have had a nes emu with wiimote for a while but i purchased river city ransom simply because THAT is WORTH the cash...

to me its a way to filter what deserves my money :P but each to there own please dont hate a brotha lol

i cant wait for the new dr mario wiiware title :P