PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 64 Emulation Coming to Wii in a Week or 2 :)

wraggster
April 8th, 2008, 01:09
Tehpola the author of the Gamecube N64 emulator (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/mupen64g-alpha-r46-nintendo-64-emulator-for-gamecube-wii-released-76416.html)posted this in reply to a forum member asking (http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28551&postcount=19) about N64 on Wii:

I'll tell you what, narutoblood, because you've asked so nicely, if you can wait a week or two, we'll release a new alpha version of our emulator just for you. I hate to break it for you, but it doesn't look like it'll run Donkey Kong 64. Well, it really won't run any retail games 100% yet, but if you're patient, it'll happen eventually.

Awesome news for us Nintendo 64 fans, the homebrew scene on the Wii is really kicking off nicely :)

Boshinator24
April 8th, 2008, 01:13
Hmm, any idea on how saving will work?

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 01:15
Ah man, that means that there probably going to stop focusing on the gamecube D:<

Mr.Guy
April 8th, 2008, 01:18
Hmm, any idea on how saving will work?

I second that. How in the world are we going to have a N64 emulator when nobody can figure out how to have save stats or any other means of saveing other than the NGC memory card for a SNES emulator?!

Sir_Voe
April 8th, 2008, 01:25
It starts already.
Can't wait to see how it runs.

vicious1988
April 8th, 2008, 01:47
Don't expect anything compared to a PC emu. Last I knew it didn't have any saving whatsoever (and probably still doesn't), rendered kind of slow (about 12FPS), and didn't support many games.

But its still awesome that work is underway on all of these projects. What I'd like to see the most would be a Dreamcast emu. That would be really awesome once the Wii's wifi capabilities are accessed and implemented, imagine playing PSO on schthack's server or having a Quake III LAN party with it.

DimensionT
April 8th, 2008, 01:48
I second that. How in the world are we going to have a N64 emulator when nobody can figure out how to have save stats or any other means of saveing other than the NGC memory card for a SNES emulator?!

Dude, read into it. It's not that they don't know how. All that's needed is a new release of the toolchain. There really isn't anything that can be done until then.

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 01:53
Don't expect anything compared to a PC emu. Last I knew it didn't have any saving whatsoever (and probably still doesn't), rendered kind of slow (about 12FPS), and didn't support many games.

But its still awesome that work is underway on all of these projects. What I'd like to see the most would be a Dreamcast emu. That would be really awesome once the Wii's wifi capabilities are accessed and implemented, imagine playing PSO on schthack's server or having a Quake III LAN party with it.

I dont think that Dreamcast is possible on the Wii to be honest. The Xbox had pretty much the same specifications as the Wii (and could even double the Wii if overclocked[1493MHz max]/upgraded ram[128MB max]), and had a hard time emulating Nintendo 64.

Now, Dreamcast might be able to be done, but there would have to be a lot of determination.

Jay6
April 8th, 2008, 01:55
You play PSO, vicious? Although, it would be great to play PSOGC online, but I play PSOBB (schthack server). Plus, I don't have a keyboard I could use for the GC version. I'll just stick to PSOBB.

slipknot1564
April 8th, 2008, 02:22
I can't believe how fast the homebrew scene is growing for the wii.
I can wait for this emulator

linkinworm
April 8th, 2008, 02:31
I dont think that Dreamcast is possible on the Wii to be honest. The Xbox had pretty much the same specifications as the Wii (and could even double the Wii if overclocked[1493MHz max]/upgraded ram[128MB max]), and had a hard time emulating Nintendo 64.

Now, Dreamcast might be able to be done, but there would have to be a lot of determination.the emu i had on xbox seemed to work fine for me, had to mess with the setting but i could get 50-60fps in most games, and the DC dream on:P(no pun intended) its barely working on pcs never mind anything else, maybe when nulldc can emulate most games pefect like the ps1 emu or n64emu then it might get a slow port on wii

iofthestorm
April 8th, 2008, 03:26
well, I don't really know much about emulation but since the Wii has essentially a faster version of the Gamecube's processor and GPU, shouldn't an emulator automatically or at least relatively easily benefit from the increased horsepower on the Wii? Hopefully we'll get full speed N64 sometime in the not-too-distant future, if Nintendo can do it so can homebrewers!

vicious1988
April 8th, 2008, 04:00
It could benefit from the better specs, but you would have to update the code to work with the new stuff. Or else it will still operate at GC speeds.

linkinworm
April 8th, 2008, 04:12
how does it run on the cube? fullspeed? because if it did then running it in wii mode at full wii spec, would make perfect. if the psp with 333mhz cpu and 4mb gpu(or is that just some buffer thing or something, i only read the specs really quick) then the wii can make it run really good the psp can get like upto 30fps sometimes but only for 1 second, and we dont know about R14 because they said that they made it run faster.

Nintendo Maniac 64
April 8th, 2008, 04:24

Wait, so you're comparing a 733MHz Intel Celeron to the Wii's (possibly) 729MHz PPC CPU?

....riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Also, there's an N64 emulator for the frickin PSP! Sure it's not all THAT playable, but if that can happen, why can't Dreamcast on the Wii? You'd be running what is supposedly the weakest last-gen system on the weakest current-gen system -- doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

Now granted, DC emulation isn't that perfected, but I was running Hydro Thunder at around 30fps on my 1.71GHz Athlon XP, and we all know PPC cpu's achive more performance per MHz than x86 cpus, not to mention console's typically run faster with the lack of OS overhead and specific hardware optimization. (the N64 runs frickin Quake 2 for goodness sake!)

DimensionT
April 8th, 2008, 07:38
Dreamcast would probably be completely doable, but it'd have to be done by both Nintendo and Sega. Sega for the system being ported, and Nintendo for it being ported to.

The closest thing this could be compared to is Sony's PSX emulator for the PSP. If this can be done, so could Dreamcast on the Wii. DC emulators for the PC are pretty damned close to perfect. You just need to be able to run them. Take this and that fact that it's made by amateurs (in retrospect), then think about what the professional at Nintendo and Sega can do.

Also, comparing the Xbox's N64 to the one on the Gamecube/Wii isn't a good argument. The Xbox version is basicly a straight port from PC versions, with barely any Xbox specific code (since the Xbox's hardware is so close to a PC's). The Gamecube/Wii emulator is much different. Since it's being overhauled to take advantage of the hardware in the platform it's being ported it. Much like what was done for the PSP.

vicious1988
April 8th, 2008, 09:14
If I could find some source code for NullDC and maybe a few plugins I'd consider giving a port a try. My only problems would be getting the graphics to render and the bios would probably give me hell. But what the hell do I know, I really didn't have much experience with the f_ system when I added the SD menus to SNESGX.

Of course the first builds would most likely exempt sound from the equation until the rendering became functional.

DimensionT
April 8th, 2008, 10:49
Well, there's nothing to lose in asking for source around the forums. Seems like something they'd be intrested it.

I honestly think it'd be cool even if it ran like butt... Though there's a few that'll say it's a waste of time, and even more that'll flame it for not being good enough

Seriously though, man. I'd like to see you give it a try. My computer runs Marvel VS Capcom 2 full speed and it's a piece of crap. Even a straight port would probably be able to play games like Chu Chu Rocket and possibly Bangai-O! near full speed.

vicious1988
April 8th, 2008, 11:02
I can run DoA2 on my 1.7 ghz p4 w/ 768 megs of ram at close to full speed (lags a little at first until models are in memory).

I honestly don't know, since I can't guarantee a somewhat functional build (even just a render at <1 FPS) then in all likelihood I wouldn't get any source at all. I think I have an early understanding of the gfx engine from looking through the FCEU and SNESGX sources though.

mcdougall57
April 8th, 2008, 13:15
nice to see you working on it

vicious1988
April 8th, 2008, 16:07
I thought about trying to port the HL2 beta if my friend still has the source. But you would have to rip a ton of stuff, mostly sounds and some maps (I know which ones would go first), in order to fit it on a Wii compatible SD Card. Not to mention the god awful amount of code changes it would require just to load to and render the menu.

Then you would want to update the code to fix some of the major crashes and fix entities. A lot for just a one man team. And last I checked I don't go by the name AnoN :D .

P.S. I might still go through with this eventually.
P.P.S. To my knowledge VALVe doesn't really worry about it anymore, just look at Team GabeN. About 2 years and going strong.

____anders____
April 8th, 2008, 16:44

Now, Dreamcast might be able to be done, but there would have to be a lot of determination.
actually my xbox runs properly dumped N64 games in full-speed, with surreal64 emulator..

btw, good luck ;)

EDIT: and PSX games run in full-speed too, like driver2 and GTA2 with pcsxbox emu.

CoinCollector
April 8th, 2008, 17:00
Darn, Donkey Kong 64 is one of my favorite N64 games....:(

I'm just glad that there WILL be N64 emulation on the Wii at all, though.

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 17:09
actually my xbox runs properly dumped N64 games in full-speed, with surreal64 emulator..

btw, good luck ;)

EDIT: and PSX games run in full-speed too, like driver2 and GTA2 with pcsxbox emu.

Well, a lot of early first-gen games (Such as Mario 64, Mario Kart 64) and second-gen games (Banjo Kazooie, Zelda) run great. But games like Donkey Kong 64, Conker (runs exceptionally well, but freezes often), Goldeneye (Runs great in Ultra, but has very sensitive controls), Perfect Dark, Banjo-Tooie, Zelda: Majora's Mask, more demanding games (most of them more advanced Rareware games) didnt run so well for me.
But maybe if you overclock and upgrade the ram, these games would run flawlessly.

crouchingleech
April 8th, 2008, 18:27
Well, a lot of early first-gen games (Such as Mario 64, Mario Kart 64) and second-gen games (Banjo Kazooie, Zelda) run great. But games like Donkey Kong 64, Conker (runs exceptionally well, but freezes often), Goldeneye (Runs great in Ultra, but has very sensitive controls), Perfect Dark, Banjo-Tooie, Zelda: Majora's Mask, more demanding games (most of them more advanced Rareware games) didnt run so well for me.
But maybe if you overclock and upgrade the ram, these games would run flawlessly.

Like DimensionT said, the power of the wii is fine, it's just that is has to be used correctly. The code of the emulator has to be optimized to run on a wii. A straight port of a PC N64 emulator would run slowly, but a modified version that efficiently uses the Wii's power would be fine. It would just take work. It's very possible - look how one guy (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com) made a pretty good N64 emulator for PSP.

____anders____
April 8th, 2008, 21:59

i know, but atleast we'll have a N64 emu on wii ;) there will be updates hopefully so it will probably be better and better in time :)

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 22:15
Like DimensionT said, the power of the wii is fine, it's just that is has to be used correctly. The code of the emulator has to be optimized to run on a wii. A straight port of a PC N64 emulator would run slowly, but a modified version that efficiently uses the Wii's power would be fine. It would just take work. It's very possible - look how one guy (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com) made a pretty good N64 emulator for PSP.

I'm aware of this.
The Wii in a way would be better and worse for emulating consoles.
Why? Because the Xbox had a PC like architecture, and the emulators didnt need to be modified as much. N64 is definitely possible on the Wii though, as Nintendo emulates games very well on it.

But to be honest, for some reason, I really dont care about Wii homebrew yet, as it is just ports of Gamecube emulators for the most part.

limming
April 8th, 2008, 23:14
I know that in about a year or two, these things that seem impossible will be accomplished (I'm talking emulators and whatnot). I have seen it happen many times before...so, why not again? There was a time when people said that the SNES could never be emulated on the computer but now look at where we are. And most of you know how much these homebrewers did on the PSP...

Wii development is rising so quickly. It will be the best homebrew system in no time.

trelantana
April 9th, 2008, 18:40
...I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. If you read the original thread, you'll understand what I mean.

Boshinator24
April 23rd, 2008, 22:57
bump

Mr.Guy
April 24th, 2008, 06:24
*2 1/2 weeks

Boshinator24
April 24th, 2008, 16:13
D:
Does this mean it is cancelled?

DimensionT
April 24th, 2008, 19:28
Why does the scene consist of impatient 5 year olds?

sleekgeek
April 25th, 2008, 02:42

after sitting through eight hours in a class room, besides the weekend, this is all they have to look forward to.

Boshinator24
April 25th, 2008, 03:43
Well, I am impatient because they promised it by now. However I am not complaining since they are making this in there own free time. :)

Mr.Guy
April 25th, 2008, 09:30

I was just correcting him.

Unicron2k
April 25th, 2008, 10:06
Well, just get used to the idea that comunity-based projects NEVER will follow their set release date/expected arival time.
Of course, I'm excited too, because the scene has been moving really fast: in about 3 weeks from Wii-mote POC(that they can read data from Wii-mote), many emu's have implementet Wii-mote/classic controll support.

One thing you should keep in mind, is that the coders who code all of this is just normal people, with normal jobs(!), normal wives(!), normal kids(!) and normal lifes. They are not superhuman geeks who think of codeing the entire time, and probaly can't put away more than 1-2 hours a day on this.( (!) = age dependant)

One more thing tough, asking about when there is a release repeatedly, will only lead to bothering the coders, then nagging them, then seriously pissing them of, leading to them dropping the project all together because they can't stand the constant nagging.

sleekgeek:
I'm 16 and sit through 8 hours in class each day(save saturday and sunday), and I have lots of other thing to do than sitting around here and refreshing every five seconds. Just this weekend, a friend of mine is celebratring his birthday with me and some other buds, there is what we call "Russe slępp"(Norwegian, pronounce it thereafter, directly translated to "Russ release", where the "Russ" are the coming graduation students, and it's customary to play tricks on everyone(dirty tricks, like tying them to a flagpole naked and shove a dildo up their ass on males(happened to a friend of mine xD) and you know where on females) especially first year students...).
Then there is the "Russefęst"(Russ party, se above for "Russ"), which is a party to celebrate the "Russ".

A lott of babbeling there, but my point is(and the message) is: Get out of you house and do something other than hanging around here nagging the devs about release or complain on a release because there is something in it you don't like!

This probably sounded like flaming to some, but I assure you, it isn't. I am just saying "get out more!"

Fredgoobus
April 25th, 2008, 18:39
N64! Yay!

skedone
April 26th, 2008, 08:12
and some off us are not in school mate then again i don't complain about release dates due to the fact im a embedded systems coder my self (and no i cant help to much on all ready)

cebrian
April 27th, 2008, 06:50

I feel offended, i am 12 :P
j/k i am actually 24 and i think this is really funny

misticknight
April 27th, 2008, 08:39
just use the hacked VC For now.

DimensionT
April 27th, 2008, 09:06
just use the hacked VC For now.

Why the hell do you think that's a good thing? Don't go around supporting that shit.

monix10
April 27th, 2008, 14:15
great news...

somthing tells me soon that this is going to explode...

for example, someone is going to releace a program or something that will be able to let us homebrewers run backups without a modchip... i mean someone is going write somthing that will inject code into the drive that will allow backups to be run...

then, thats when nintendo will step in

kingslime80
April 27th, 2008, 20:12
great news...

for example, someone is going to releace a program or something that will be able to let us homebrewers run backups without a modchip... i mean someone is going write somthing that will inject code into the drive that will allow backups to be run...

I'll tell you, if that happens I and many others wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole.

If I had the skills to make this I'd make sure it could load ISO files from the Front SD so those like myself would be willing to use it.

The real problem with it though would be the simple fact that it would be missing the L2 and Select buttons, or L2 and R2 depending on the set up for the GC controller, so you'd pretty much have to use the classic controller. Oh well.

masterchief929
April 27th, 2008, 21:04
this emulator is going to rock!

JKKDARK
April 27th, 2008, 22:22
already various weeks

vicious1988
April 28th, 2008, 13:14
great news...

http://planetrobot.net/caplog/b2EGraphics/2007/07-05/Update_DoNotWant.jpg