PDA

View Full Version : Question and customs of london.

Buddy4point0
April 8th, 2008, 01:25
Is it true that you have to pay for each and every individual packet of ketchup at Macdonald's? My mom was talking to me about a trip she went on to there and said that she had too.

Are there tacos in london?

Anything else majorly different than USA that i might find entertaining?

beetroot bertie
April 8th, 2008, 13:43
They drink lots of tea (as should everyone, as it makes the world go around) and everyone knows the Queen personally :)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/732/4993770xds0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dejkirkby
April 8th, 2008, 14:35
You'd get a much clearer picture if you asked Shrygue or splodger15. They are both LDN'ers.

WhizzBang
April 8th, 2008, 15:03
Of course you can get tacos in London. You can get cuisine from just about any country in the world there, but the most common are Indian, Italian, Chinese and Mexican.

I have never heard of anywhere charging for ketchup in London, but I haven't been to MacDonalds in my life so can't be sure about them. It sounds unlikely though. Maybe your mum was just ripped off?

London, like the rest of the UK, is fairly Americanised. They spell a few words a bit differently, drive on the other side of the road, and say 'sorry' if you bump into them.

ExcruciationX
April 8th, 2008, 16:41
I liked London when I went there. Here's some stuff that was different.

1. They do drink lots of tea.

2. The buses have a cool feature where you press a button and the bus driver will stop at the next stop that comes up. If you were riding a bus near Queensgate in August of 2004, and saw someone say "That's so awesome", that was me. :p

3. The place is ****ing huge, when I was landing at Heathrow, I could only see buildings going in all directions (from my window). According to the people there, they're trying to move outside of London because of how crowded it is (back me up on this?).

Triv1um
April 8th, 2008, 16:53
Talking about the UK in general (vistied london many times too)

- We do drink lots of tea. If you ever come over here you will have to have a nice cup of Earl Grey :P

- Yes, london is stupidly crowded, its like a constant mosh pit there.

- Yes, at McDonalds you have to pay for sauces, but you get one included with your meal for free.

- Taco's arent popular here, but they can be found.

- The cockney accent is always entertaining

- (Good thing for you buddy) You can't go anywere without seeing skaters. Many good spots.

- Also, us wacky folk drive on the left.

Yeah, its different (ive been to america (only florida though)) if you ever went I think you would enjoy it.

Eviltaco64
April 8th, 2008, 17:02
I've always wanted to goto England.
But why do they charge money for extra ketchup packets?
Over here in America you can just tell them to give you a couple more packs in your bag.
It would also be great to drive on the other side of the road on the other side of the car.

ICE
April 8th, 2008, 17:21
I haven't been to MacDonalds in my life so can't be sure about them.

You've never been to Mcdonalds? Pfft I bet you arent even overweight!

Sonicboy 101
April 8th, 2008, 17:32
- Yes, at McDonalds you have to pay for sauces, but you get one included with your meal for free.

Really? I just take them. I didn't know you had to pay for them. :rolleyes:

No_one_in_particular
April 8th, 2008, 18:08
But why do they charge money for extra ketchup packets?
They don't ! (well not here anyways)

Yes London is ridiculously overpopulated, it's the capital and therefore the only place tourists want to visit, it seems.

We're generally a bit more reserved than you Americans, so I've heard, so you'll have to get used to that when visiting.

£1 = $2
£5 = $10

Our currency goes 1p (pence/pennie), 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2, £5 (note), £10 (note), £20 (note) and £50 (note).

f@gs (can't believe it's censored) are slang for cigarettes.

Can't really think of anymore, but there's tonnes of little differences.

Triv1um
April 8th, 2008, 18:12
Well they do here.

Its not alot, i believe its like 10p a pack.

No_one_in_particular
April 8th, 2008, 18:24
A couple more:

You'll be using the London Underground as your main transport, so you should try and work out how you're getting where first.

Obvious one, but we're also mad about football, or as you'd call it, soccer. Most pubs will be heaving around mid-day on weekends because of this.

Our supermarkets have much less choice, in smaller portions, and you normally have to pack the bags yourself.

We seem to only take the worst parts of your culture, so while it's unreasonable, be aware you might come across some anti-American abuse from the resident Neanderthals - usually in the form of "****en yanks". lol

Wiki "chav" - we've lots. They're not very friendly.

Edit: I thought you were visiting ! No matter then...

splodger15
April 8th, 2008, 19:05
Nearly everyone drinks tea in London along with English breakfasts in the local cafe.

I am not sure about the packets of ketchup in Mcdonalds I think its varies alround when I was in Mcdonalds the other day I didn't have to pay where as when I was visiting another Mcd's I had to.

Shopping I love going out and buying the latest trainers and deisgner gear . Infact today I was up Bond Street and there are shops everywhere you look but prepared to spend the money some dececnt shops up there like

Nike town
Selfridges <------ Best shop I have ever been to.

Football is a highly liked sport here.

The underground is your major transport easily get you from A to B you could probally go by bus but there underground is much easier.