PDA

View Full Version : Wii NAND Dumper v1

wraggster
April 9th, 2008, 21:01
Waninkoko (http://wii.waninkoko.info/) has released the Wii NAND dumper.

Details

REQUERIMENTS:

- SD Gecko
- A way to load homebrew

HOW TO USE:

1. Insert the SD Gecko in Slot A.
2. Insert a SD card with at least 512 MB of free space.
3. Run the application and wait until it finishes.

NOTES:

The dumped NAND is encrypted. To decrypt it is needed the console’s NAND key (do not ask me about how to get it).

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Mr.Guy
April 9th, 2008, 21:08
Does this have something to so with iso's?

Unicron2k
April 9th, 2008, 21:20
No, ISO is a type of disc image format, this is about dumping the Wii's internal NAND.

NAND is a type of long-term flash memory, like that in mp3/mp4 players, like the iPod Nano and Sansa E260

The NAND flash of the Wii contains channels, savegames etc.(not sure about if the firmaware is kept there tough...)

AngelicLiver
April 9th, 2008, 21:50
The NAND flash of the Wii contains channels, savegames etc.(not sure about if the firmaware is kept there tough...)

Yes it is but as already stated it's all encrypted and many people working on the Wii at the moment prefer to keep quiet about circumventing it. Lest they want to incur Nintendo's wrath, I'm sure someone with the skill and audacity will start working on a custom firmware for Wii in the near future.

I get the feeling the 'trucha' vulnerability, the twilight princess stack crash exploit and the tweezer attacks against the Wii's encryption is only the tip of the iceburg. Many exciting things are bound to happen soon and hopefully not of the piracy kind.

Gideon007
April 9th, 2008, 22:45
Oh, well. If this gets somehow modified so I can make a backup of my stuff and most importantly of my Guitar Hero savegame, then I'm in love :)

kingslime80
April 9th, 2008, 22:57
Oh, well. If this gets somehow modified so I can make a backup of my stuff and most importantly of my Guitar Hero savegame, then I'm in love :)

Can't you already back up your console saves to any SD card?

Ryan915
April 9th, 2008, 23:29
Sorry if I'm being stupid but isn't it pointless to make a dump of a encrypted NAND flash thingy if you can't decrypt it?

watupgroupie
April 9th, 2008, 23:57
Sorry if I'm being stupid but isn't it pointless to make a dump of a encrypted NAND flash thingy if you can't decrypt it?I think its just a proof of concept kind of thing. Yes running this is quite pointless unless you can find the encryption for the NAND and decrypt it on your pc which is highly unlikely.

Gideon007
April 10th, 2008, 09:48
Can't you already back up your console saves to any SD card?
Yes, for "normal" games but some games do not permit this. For example Guitar Hero III and (I *think*) Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (maybe some others). The resoning is that the savegame includes information for the online access or something like that.

So for games like GHIII I'd very much like to see an hack to backup the data.