PDA

View Full Version : Component cable for a regular tube TV?

punkonjunk
April 10th, 2008, 07:13
Hey, some person at gamestop said that if I do find an Svideo psp slim adapter, it's not possible to play games with it, only movies. I'd like to be able to play games on my television with my psp - is this true? If so, is there a component to svideo adapter for pretty cheap?

punkonjunk
April 16th, 2008, 18:53
Nothing? How can I play games on a standard tube TV? someone, shoot! If I got an svideo adapter and plugged it into my box switcher, would it work?

What are my options?

bah
April 17th, 2008, 15:33
Almost all but the most expensive tube (CRT) TVs only function with interlaced scanning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced#Description).

Sony decided to make the TV-out as crappy as they could (or so it seems) by allowing the PSP to only output games in progressive scan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan).
They could have made it work without much effort/extra hardware but chose not to, perhaps they thought it would sell more sony HD-TVs.
Who knows how the marketing department cripples the development department's work before it is released.

Even a regular (SD) CRT TV is higher resolution than the PSP's screen, yet the slim doesn't contain any hardware/software to scale to image either. The TV has to have the hardware to do it (not all do, some will let you play games but it will be a small box with a huge black border).

So basically:
No, it will not work.
The S-video standard carries an interlaced video signal (just with the colour and brightness elements of the video separated to reduce colour bleeding), and the TV would not support the progressive signal even if the cable carried it.

For these reasons and more, I still have my launch-model fat PSP and have no interest in updating. :(

punkonjunk
April 19th, 2008, 17:10
So there is no external peripheral, or any way around it? How about homebrew?

darkriku2000
April 19th, 2008, 20:21
nope, there is this one thing, you can only buy it online though, it costs $200, and requires you to open your psp, I don't know the specifics, it's this box that you attach your psp to and plug in to the tv, it also allows you to use a ps1/ps2 controller to play your games, i forget what it's called

bah
April 20th, 2008, 02:42
I guess there probably is some sort of deinterlacing hardware out there that could give you a progressive signal.

It would probably cost more than the PSP though.

If you want homebrew on a home console, buy a used XBOX1, soft mod it and use XBMC as your dashboard.
It really is a thing of beauty.

darkriku2000 is right, there was an aftermarket tv-out kit for the original (fat) PSP, but installing it was certainly no easy task. There was also those terrible cameras that you strapped to the front of the PSP that took photos of the screen rapidly and turned it into a standard tv-out signal. Those were honestly just plain awful, and they were designed for fat PSPs not the slim also.

MicroNut
April 20th, 2008, 11:20
There is only one option that I have found.
Component to S-Video Adapter (http://forum.videohelp.com/topic322338.html)

You have to build it yourself.

After following all the instructions what I learned is:
You have to make a slight correction to the PCB before submitting for the online price quote.
Cost for the board is minimum $81 for 2 boards
Primary encoder is $25 but main supplier requires $50 minimum charge.
To do this you'll have to buy enough components for 2 boards.
Then include your time.
So probably more than $200 and no guarantee that it will work.
If you have the skills looks like a fun project.
I like the idea of having a way of recording HDTV content directly S-Video or RGB.
I might try it.