PDA

View Full Version : Unleashed will go back to Sonic's roots

Shrygue
April 10th, 2008, 18:13
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131165)

Yoshihisa Hashimoto, lead designer on Sonic Unleashed, has said the game bears "no relation" to the poorly-recieved recent games in the series.

Instead it will hark back to the Sonic Adventure days of old, and be a game created with purists in mind.

"In our minds, this game will have more in common with the older Sonic Adventure series. It has no relation to Sonic the Hedgehog [the 360/PS3 game] or Sonic And The Secret Rings... We wanted Sonic fans to love Sonic even more," Hashimoto told Nintendo Magazine UK, read by Kotaku.

Hashimoto went on to reveal that the Wii version of the game will be out this winter, and use a Wiimote and nunchuk control system.

Sonic will be given Boost and Dash abilities charged up by collecting lots of rings, and can also hop to the right or left using a quick step manoeuvre. There will be no online mode, though.

The little blue man-animal can turn into a "werehog" when darkness falls, too, which apparently slows proceedings to an interaction-based platform affair.

SEGA officially lifted the lid on Sonic Unleashed earlier this month. It has been working on the Hedgehog engine that powers it for three years now, and is using it to get back to how things used to be.

Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2 versions are also in development.

shorty_carnage
April 10th, 2008, 18:35
£10 says it flops

osgeld
April 10th, 2008, 18:50
yep when i think back to those early days of sonic i get a little teary eyed, collecting all those rings for a boost-dash bonus and waiting for nightfall so i could become a warehog?

WTF, sega please for the love of god quit barfing out uninspired generic j-pop crap, it was old 10 years ago

JKKDARK
April 10th, 2008, 19:35
I wonder in what part of the main serie this game will appear

geise69
April 10th, 2008, 19:45
Well Sonic turning into a werehog/wolf whatever is, is about as old school as you can get. Yep, definitely harking back to the roots of good ol Sonic days. I like how it mentions going back to the Sonic Adventure days of old. Yep that's old school Sonic right there. :rolleyes:
Credit to Sega though the engine is quite nice looking for this Sonic game and getting any version other than the ps3 or 360 would be pointless. BTW where is the DC port?

fpcreator2000
April 10th, 2008, 19:47
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131165)

Yoshihisa Hashimoto, lead designer on Sonic Unleashed, has said the game bears "no relation" to the poorly-recieved recent games in the series.

Instead it will hark back to the Sonic Adventure days of old, and be a game created with purists in mind.

"In our minds, this game will have more in common with the older Sonic Adventure series. It has no relation to Sonic the Hedgehog [the 360/PS3 game] or Sonic And The Secret Rings... We wanted Sonic fans to love Sonic even more," Hashimoto told Nintendo Magazine UK, read by Kotaku.

Hashimoto went on to reveal that the Wii version of the game will be out this winter, and use a Wiimote and nunchuk control system.

Sonic will be given Boost and Dash abilities charged up by collecting lots of rings, and can also hop to the right or left using a quick step manoeuvre. There will be no online mode, though.

The little blue man-animal can turn into a "werehog" when darkness falls, too, which apparently slows proceedings to an interaction-based platform affair.

SEGA officially lifted the lid on Sonic Unleashed earlier this month. It has been working on the Hedgehog engine that powers it for three years now, and is using it to get back to how things used to be.

Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2 versions are also in development.

When Mario went back to his roots on the New Super Mario Bros game, he went back to his Nintendo roots.

So when Sonic goes back to his roots, he goes to the Dreamcast?! Something's wrong there since the best Sonic games are on the Genesis/Megadrive.

Werehog?! Shadow already fills in as Sonic's dark counterpart.

Coins for powers? Just bring back the power up monitors.

Also, the special stages should make a comeback (ala Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles are good but that was when 3D was bleeding edge).

But if they're looking to the Dreamcast for inspiration, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 should sufice although the newer games were inspired by the Dreamcast originals.

Sega, what the hell happen man?! It's like when you guys stopped making consoles, you stopped caring. Damn!

Zin0099
April 10th, 2008, 20:46
i want sonic ultimate collection plus because i could use the blue ray disc which 5x the size of dvd
every game made for sonic could be on ps3! on one disc xbox maybe 3 disc same for wii

osgeld
April 11th, 2008, 00:14
heh didnt even process the DC roots thing when i read it (in a rush) at lunch

OMG sega you mean to tell me i can relive those DC days where i would blast tru a level in less than 2 min, get lost in some craptastic "crash wannabe" warp room, and watch a 4 min cut scene with sonic sounding like a 8 year old girl and elevator quality jrock!!!

man i cant wait for this one

if sega really wanted to go back to their roots they should look at the 2 decades of awesome 2d games, and not the more recent "meh" to almost good 3d games

gimmie a 3d streets of rage that plays like tekken or a super thunder blade remake and ill leave you alone K?

PoorKingz
April 11th, 2008, 01:20
Bring back the Sonic Adventure series! I miss the good storylines, well designed levels that allow the skilled to travel seamlessly though, and *cough*chao gardens*cough*.

Veskgar
April 11th, 2008, 04:21
I do agree. Games today do miss the magic, craftsmanship, and simplicity of the NES/GENESIS era.

Retro sells, Nostalgia sells. After seeing a lot of modern games, I'd be more apt to spend my money on quality remakes of classics. Even if going back 15-20 years to get inspiration.

Advanced technology doesn't automatically equate to a better product or experience. The Star Wars prequels although technically superior with special effects don't have the same magic as the original trilogy which started in 1976/77.

The same reason why a lot of people play emulators more than commercial games.

quzar
April 11th, 2008, 08:38
I think their point is more that Sonic Adventure was the last real sonic game. I'd agree with that. Since then we've gotten: Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow, Sonic Heroes, Secret of the Rings, 'Sonic The Hedgehog', the horrible GBA games, Sonic Riders, etc etc

Specifically since the Dreamcast went down, Sega has gone out of their way to whore out the Sonic franchise.

If not Sonic Adventure, maybe the NGPC or NGage games would be the last real sonic games. I think it has to do with the fact that those two platforms were Sega endorsed, or related or something (not sure the term).

JKKDARK
April 11th, 2008, 10:44
the horrible GBA games...

...If not Sonic Adventure, maybe the NGPC or NGage games would be the last real sonic games.

The N-Gage game was the same Sonic Advance title released on Game Boy Advance. And in my opinion, I don't think these games are horrible, at least better than any other Sonic after Sonic Adventure 2.

PoorKingz
April 11th, 2008, 19:54
I would love to see the Sonic Adventure series ported to the PSP. Those were the best 3D games in the franchise. It doubt that will happen though. I hope PSP gets something other than sucky Sonic Rivals though.

Hypershell
April 12th, 2008, 05:31
What's funny about Hashimoto's statement is that the two entries to the Sonic Adventure series have very little in common, despite both being fantastic titles.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Sonic Team's track record has nothing to do with core concept, and everything to do with polish. Starting at Heroes and ever since, they don't seem to care whether or not the kinks are worked out of a title before release. Most of the recent titles actually do have a fun core experience, they just needed more refinement.