PDA

View Full Version : MS and Sony wanted to 'control' the iPlayer

Shrygue
April 10th, 2008, 18:30
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186584)

The BBC iPlayer is only available on Nintendo Wii because Microsoft and Sony wanted to control the iPlayer, a BBC official has stated.

According to a blog post by technology editor Darren Waters, BBC future technology controller Erik Huggers said: "If you want to get on the PlayStation or Xbox, they want control of the look, the feel and the experience; they want it done within their shop, and their shop only."

Nintendo, in contrast, has apparently been more than happy to upgrade its internet browser to work with the existing BBC site.

Also in the post, Waters clarified the confusion over whether or not yesterday's announcement included a separate Wii channel: "[Nintendo is offering a dedicated channel, which acts as a one click button to the iPlayer service."

So whilst you can currently access the iPlayer using your internet browser, soon there'll be a dedicated channel making access direct.

Which should please those who didn't download the browser for free and were complaining yesterday they'd have to shell out Wii Points to watch Doctor Who on their Wii.

sappo
April 10th, 2008, 18:55
Sony is Evil, Nintendo is Good. Learn kids :D

Accordion
April 10th, 2008, 19:52
Sony is Evil, Nintendo is Good. Learn kids :D

the PS3 is the most open system this generation. FACT.

It is quite obvious that a firmware feature would be controlled by the system producer and not the BBC.

If any company is evil it is the BBC:
TV license
Failing to keep to timetable
TV license
Very poor HD channel [when channel 4 has a full HD alternative no less]
TV license
Claiming no commercials breaks, but often has longer intervals than other 'free' channels
TV license
Not too long ago i-player was decidedly Windows only, it is only opening up to other platforms due to legal pressure, and is still not the full i-player package.
TV license

mcdougall57
April 10th, 2008, 20:31
is any corporation not evil? (exception of charitys and green parties) i mean all they were made for is to get bigger bisuness and more money

iofthestorm
April 11th, 2008, 01:11
Interesting tidbit about how Nintendo is upgrading the browser for this, hope that means a new version of the Internet Channel and not just a new channel for the iPlayer.

kingslime80
April 11th, 2008, 01:41
I hope that means the upgraided Internet Channel will have the latest version of Flash. I want to play my Newgrounds.com games and videos on TV for a change.

Accordion
April 11th, 2008, 11:43
Just to update with proof that the BBC does not want to support other systems

http://www.ps3iplayer.com/
PS3 browser compatible i-player.

BBC has deliberately disallowed PS3 access. Good to see license money going to good use.