PDA

View Full Version : StellaPSP V0.2 (Atari 2600 Emulator)

wraggster
September 8th, 2005, 02:40
Aenea just let me know this great news :), a new version of StellaPSP the Atari 2600 Emulator for the PSP, heres whats in the readme:

It has been a while, but here it is, a new version of Stella for the PSP. A lot has changed since the initial release.

Changes:
- added paddle support
- added better d-pad support
- use the GU instead of SDL for rendering
- title screen (if someone can make a better one, contact me!)
- menus are now overlays so the font seems smaller (acually, it's the same size, but it now uses the full resolution of the PSP)
- I found the blend function :)
- and many small bugs have been removed
- holding down the d-pad in the menus will make it scroll faster
- analog in menus is very fast scrolling
- support for 10 state files per rom, use left/right on the Load/Save menu item to change the current state number

If you find any bugs, don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]. If you do though, make sure you can reproduce the bug easily and tell me how that is done, only then can I find the bug. Eg. telling me it just crashes isn't helping...

Maybe there will be another bug-fix release anytime soon, but most of my time will be spent to help the official Stella team to create version 2.0 of the emulator with, off-course, some of my changes for the PSP...
Well, have fun!
Aenea (aka Alysa Habraken)

Download this excellent release Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/stellapsp.shtml

Download 40 Public Domain/Freeware roms for Atari 2600 from Here (http://xbox-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/atari2600-roms.shtml)

ataribob
September 8th, 2005, 19:56
It would make my life complete if Pitfall 2 would work.
One will load but garbage

SmashinGit
September 8th, 2005, 21:52
When I load up Super Breakout it still has it as joystick and is unplayable.

Tron_Fan
September 9th, 2005, 07:25
Kudos for the updates. I can run most roms without a problem. Adventure and Empire Strikes Back run excellent which is great because those are some of my favs on the 2600. Also both Tron games run fine, excepet deadly discs did error once, but only once.

I just wish Raiders Of The Lost Ark worked right.. for some crazy reason it won't start. Too bad.. that was the best 2600 game ever made.

I did have to copy the 1.0 files using KXpolit. Those launced a .02 version of the PSP Stella, so I am assuming I did it right. What's the 1.5 for? That didn't seem to work.

I do hope for more PSP updates as having the 2600 mobile is a major treat! THANKS so much for your hard work and effort. This totally rules.

Also, I would like to thank Wraggster for this site. I am new to the Homebrew site and trust the info I get from here over anywhere else. You seem to care about giving us quality product and so far that has held true. So thanks, very much for an excellent PSP Homebrew source.

Shannon
September 9th, 2005, 12:28
Is the sound fixed as well on this version?

Nice to see paddle support! :D

candrews
September 10th, 2005, 02:45
i got super break out to work as a well as pitfall 2 though the 10k version work not the 8k

ataribob
September 11th, 2005, 19:39
I still can't get Pitfall 2 to work.
It garbles up.
its both versions but at 11k/
You sure you don't mean Pitfall ?

candrews
September 12th, 2005, 05:42
i just check and i was running pitfall 2 10k version and it size is 10.2k and the version that didnt work was 8k i wish i could give out the address to the website i got mine from :)

ataribob
September 13th, 2005, 17:51
I found the 10k one.
It's works the only problem, it's to slow.
Like it's in slow motion and you can't play it like that
:-(

candrews
September 14th, 2005, 04:15
i thought it was slow too but hey atleast it works lol

Tron_Fan
September 14th, 2005, 06:25
the only problem, it's to slow.
Like it's in slow motion and you can't play it like that
:-(

Exactly. The 10K version I found was in slo-mo and you can't play it like that

Datahax
October 3rd, 2005, 01:30
(Edited)

Nvm, roms were misnamed and in the wrong spot

zanther4
October 21st, 2005, 00:11
> I just wish Raiders Of The Lost Ark worked right.. for some crazy reason it won't start. Too bad.. that was the best 2600 game ever made.

If I remember correctly, the second joystick was used to move the character and start the game. The first was used to move around in the inventory. It's been a long time but yes that is a great game. So, if somehow in the emulator you can have the stick move the character and the d-pad move in the inventory, I think you would be set.

echel0n
October 21st, 2005, 16:41
i myself got the blue screen when i tried to load a r0m with this emu, along with the message saying "I REGRET TO TELL YOU YOUR PSP HAS CRASHED". the whole thing froze and i couldnt breathe, i thought the thing had finally bricked. i dunno tho, it could have been the r0m...i removed it, and now everything else (all umds, other hb and emus) function fine as if nothing ever happened, but i wont be loading up this particular emu again in a hurry, im too afraid theres something wrong with it. :(

a shame cuz i really wanted to play that game with the castles, keys and the dragon that looks like the gold duck..

Dave_Pennington
October 21st, 2005, 17:29
Hey I also got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! when trying to run this Emu? tried moving the roms around but had no luck? what am I doing wrong??

any ways,, Echelon if you want to play the game with the KEYS and DRAGONS that looked like ducks!!,lol.

then click on the gaming page of my web site on my profile, i have an online version of it in Flash and its pretty spot on, brought back the memories for me any way.

Dave.

echel0n
October 21st, 2005, 18:21
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE ONE MATE!!!! You just made my DAY!!! woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

wow that brings back memories! wow now all i have to do is find a way to get the emu to work. but thats great, thanks much for the link!!! very cool :D :D :D :D :D

oh, out of curiosity did you get the same exact message on the blue screen as me?

cheers

Hey I also got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! when trying to run this Emu? tried moving the roms around but had no luck? what am I doing wrong??

any ways,, Echelon if you want to play the game with the KEYS and DRAGONS that looked like ducks!!,lol.

then click on the gaming page of my web site on my profile, i have an online version of it in Flash and its pretty spot on, brought back the memories for me any way.

Dave.

Dave_Pennington
October 21st, 2005, 18:25
:eek: Yeah exact same message!, I shit my self at first lol!!

"Your PSP as just CRASHED!!" blah,blah, blah,,,, still cant get it to work!? shame that.

:cool:
Dave.

skip
October 23rd, 2005, 08:37
Same issue here. However I fixed it :)

The 'Stella' folder in 'All' goes in the root directory. Every 2600 game now on the PSP. Pitfall II (which I wanted to play as I never did on the 2600) is very slow. Will have to put it on the C64 emulator then :)

Would like it if the games were in perfect alphabetical order, but I've figured that the names (I go the roms from atariage) sometimes have capitals, sometimes not. A bit of renaming will be in order I think ;)

ataribob
October 24th, 2005, 01:47
Pitfall II works perfect on the C64 emu.
If he ever addds sound to it
Would Make my Day

Dave_Pennington
October 24th, 2005, 12:54
Thanks for the info Skip! every thing works ok now! ACE!

Dave.

echel0n
October 24th, 2005, 20:47
aye, thanks for the info Skip, i will try this..otherwise i wasnt gonna try this emu again, that blue screen error scared me

vincesecuricor2005
October 24th, 2005, 20:49
er... wat roms are compatible with this?, where do i get them? and has anyone got suggestions for the best games for it? cheers in advance

Dave_Pennington
October 28th, 2005, 18:03
Try ATARIAGE.com

I think thats the website?

click on 2600 at top of page then just search for a game, when you'v found a game you want they'll give you all the info about it and you'll get access to the ROM if its available. :cool:

Note: You have to own the original game to legally play any of the commercial Roms, but I'm sure someone has already posted a link previously on this thread to Atariage that offers you Free "legally" downloadable Roms that you can play.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 01:22
you DA man thanx a million, should be abondonware though right? dont wanna upset no mods or nothing cheers

asterothjames
October 30th, 2005, 02:57
this looks awsome thanks for the update

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 22:49
what file extensions does this accept as my roms wont work:(

Sabe002
November 5th, 2005, 01:58
how do i get it to my PSP? I use sei psp tool for ROOT files.. how do i do this one?

Okay.. I saw many of you fixed it (the Stella file in the ALL folder)by putting the folder in the ROOT directory which folder is that? Can i get a step process?

Thanks!

Okay.. I figured it out......... so.. Is there ALWAYS going to be a file under the stella photo that says "corrupted data"

Any emulators for the Atari 7800?

Thanks!

ozz112
November 29th, 2005, 18:10
Looks great, but does anyone know if there is an option to have it play in original aspect ratio and not widescreen because it appears blurry and stretched out on my psp? Any thoughts? Thanks!

DewDude
November 30th, 2005, 23:25
I remember Pitfall 2 having problems years ago in the emulators because of the 8k and 10k files...IIRC the extra 2k was sound information that wasn't needed..

Pitfall 2 was also really kinda..pushing the limits of the 2600 software..it was BIG, it was intensive...so the emulator probably isn't optimized enough.

it's like with SNES....a 333mhz RISC cpu is MORE than capeable of emulating the SNES enviroment..it's just the code isn't optimized and nothing runs that well (at least the SuperFX, which, dammit, it almost works on a 333mhz x86 so a 333mhz RISC should do it...seeing as how x86 is a CISC)

there are two things that i'd like to see done to stella
a) 4:3 mode for games..i'm sorry...but...some of those games stretched to 16:9 don't look that great
b) NO KERNEL MODE! Is there a reason this thing runs on kernel..and any way of getting a version that doesn't while the hackers work on getting kernel to work in 2.0?

hockey2112
January 21st, 2006, 20:31
I am having problems getting this to work on my v 2.0 PSP. Will Stella work with Fanjita's eboot loader on a 2.0 PSP? Any help would be appreciated.

My file structure is as follows:

I:\Stella\Config\
I:\Stella\Roms\Frogger.bin (I have other 2600 ROMS names the same way in this folder as well)
I:\Stella\Snapshots\
I:\Stella\States\

I:\PSP\GAME\Stella\EBOOT.PBP

Is this file structure correct?

When I load up Fanjita's eboot loader, it does display Stella V0.2 , listed with the rest of my emu's. When I select it and load it, the screen goes black, and it displays the message "Module attribs 00001000 suggest a kernel-mode app. Press X to try anyway, or any other button to cancel." When I press X, the screen turns black again, the memory stick light blinks once or twice, and then nothing happens for awhile... the PSP then shuts down completely.

Any advice? Are the ROMS in the right place? Do the ROMS need to be named in a different fashion? I have seen questions similar to mine in this thread, but the posters edited their messages after they discovered the answer, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

Thanks for your time.

hockey2112
January 26th, 2006, 16:54
Anyone have answers for my questions above? Thanks for your time.

hockey2112
January 31st, 2006, 19:17
Anyone? :)

I am having problems getting this to work on my v 2.0 PSP. Will Stella work with Fanjita's eboot loader on a 2.0 PSP? Any help would be appreciated.

My file structure is as follows:

I:\Stella\Config\
I:\Stella\Roms\Frogger.bin (I have other 2600 ROMS names the same way in this folder as well)
I:\Stella\Snapshots\
I:\Stella\States\

I:\PSP\GAME\Stella\EBOOT.PBP

Is this file structure correct?

When I load up Fanjita's eboot loader, it does display Stella V0.2 , listed with the rest of my emu's. When I select it and load it, the screen goes black, and it displays the message "Module attribs 00001000 suggest a kernel-mode app. Press X to try anyway, or any other button to cancel." When I press X, the screen turns black again, the memory stick light blinks once or twice, and then nothing happens for awhile... the PSP then shuts down completely.

Any advice? Are the ROMS in the right place? Do the ROMS need to be named in a different fashion? I have seen questions similar to mine in this thread, but the posters edited their messages after they discovered the answer, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

Thanks for your time.

tazznchop
May 10th, 2006, 18:34
What firmware does Stella2600 run off of?

Looking into buying a PSP and this is one of the resons of buying one. The ability to play River Raid on a handheld.

Any help will be great

hockey2112
May 10th, 2006, 18:59
I would also appreciate answers to my questions in post # 32 above, if anyone can answer them.

Thanks

vettacossx
May 11th, 2006, 06:43
some one write the auther ask when we can expect a 2.0 version WTF

luis_05
May 22nd, 2006, 04:06
dammit, so this is not for fw 2.1?

The_It
August 31st, 2006, 08:37
how do i get it out of wide screen and how do i switch to paddle support?

The_It
August 31st, 2006, 08:39
can't someone change this to have more options and be more user friendly since it is the only thing that playes atari 2600?

alleyal202
September 1st, 2006, 01:13
2.00 needs to work

stratman71
November 25th, 2006, 01:35
#26-

my roms are .a26 format

I have some .bin roms but dont know if those work.

bacalacadaca
March 15th, 2008, 04:18
so wait, this only works on firmware 2.0 or what i dont get it i have 3.90m33-2 and 1.50 kernel but my games wont show and when i click on either empty space where the roms should be my psp crashes can anyone clear it up and tell me what this needs to run cause everything is installed correctly.