PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the PSP2TV

wraggster
September 8th, 2005, 07:15
Some great news from Team Xtender (http://www.teamxtender.com/) concerning a product that they are working on which will let you watch your PSP on a big screen and more:

Imaging taking your PSP to the next level... A larger screen and a comfortable PS2 Controller... Today is the day.

This new accessory will allow any PSP unit, to connect to a Plasma or LCD screen! We didn't stop there; you can even plug in a PS2 Controller. As usually, Team Xtender’s high quality product won’t disappoint and we will keep you all updated with this product’s news.

Not only does it increase the psp enjoyment for the average developer and gamer alike, but also the media fans out there as well. The unit is fully dock-able for easy use both at home and for portable use.

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/psp-back.jpg

Discuss this exciting news below and see the other 2 pics :)

wraggster
September 8th, 2005, 07:16
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/psp-front.jpg

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/psp-left.jpg

very nice

chronoswing
September 8th, 2005, 07:59
About time someone did it, All I want to know is, how does it work?

urherenow
September 8th, 2005, 08:02
So how is THIS going to work? Ideally, you would see the screen on your TV as soon as you turned on the PSP, but it seems as though the USB port doesn't function untill you go to the menu and turn it on (in which case, it's set up to look like a portable storeage device to a PC). Seems to me that some kind of software would have to be used to send/receive the proper signals to/from the device, er...

I'm just talking out of my a** I guess as I have no idea exactly how that USB port actually functions. Does anyone here know? It's a pretty good Idea tho!

alexh
September 8th, 2005, 11:16
I cannot see any I/O on the PSP to give access to the controls or video. Either this requires you to open your PSP, OR it's a lame digitiser, something that overlays onto the screen and digitises the picture.

Meshyf
September 8th, 2005, 14:04
Sorry I guess I'm the one person that thinks this is stupid. If your going to go as far as playing a portable on the big screen and hooking up a ps2 control just play the Ps2.
All the damn games for PsP are ports anyways.

Plude220
September 8th, 2005, 14:12
PSP games are made with 1 analog stick in mind a PS2 controller has 2 how would that work??

m00rpark
September 8th, 2005, 14:52
1000000% agreeing with Meshyf. :-/

i looooove portability waaay too much.

i would just be better off playing my ps2 instead.

Farcicalname
September 8th, 2005, 15:14
This is a fake, it was posted on Engadget as a mockup. Sorry all.

slayer2psp
September 8th, 2005, 16:26
PSP games are made with 1 analog stick in mind a PS2 controller has 2 how would that work?? you must not be very smart it just doesnt use the extra stick or buttons it would be a problem if the ps2 had less buttons then the psp but more is never trouble.i use ps2 controller on my dreamcast same thing. and who cares about playing psp games on tv it will make them look like crap ill wait for the ps3 to play my umds on tv

leggy
September 8th, 2005, 16:36
If this were to be true it would be pretty good.

I would love the ability to play my PSP (both for games and films) on my tv.

pkmusicmaker
September 8th, 2005, 17:12
you must not be very smart it just doesnt use the extra stick or buttons it would be a problem if the ps2 had less buttons then the psp but more is never trouble.

Haha took the words out of my mouth.

wraggster
September 8th, 2005, 18:41
Team Xtender are working on it so its very real

how they are going to work it is anyones guess

RedKing14CA
September 9th, 2005, 00:08
hmmm, it doesnt use usb, it seams to plug into the two ports on the top of the psp, or you have to unscrew the bottom, seams really coool, i really want to watch UMD movies on my big screen, it would give me and my parents to buy UMD movies!!! and the games would be cool too, i mean, DUZ THE PS2 HAVE WIFI AND HOMEBREW GAMES!?!?!??!??!??!?

Cirus
September 9th, 2005, 01:14
makes me laugh tbh :P

"Imaging taking your PSP to the next level... A larger screen and a comfortable PS2 Controller... Today is the day."

Or buy a PS2? nearly the same thing tbh

if i wanted to watch it on a big screen i wud buy its bigger brother ;)

Onetonbullet
September 9th, 2005, 02:35
Whats the PSP screen resolution? 320x240-480x272? I think a regular tv is around 648x486-720x486...would a UMD look good stretched to fit that? I don't think so.

If there is any kind of delay, games will be unplayable.

p4ch3c0
September 9th, 2005, 08:09
I believe that the serial port which was discovered on the PSP a while back (the headphone remote port) will be the interface which directs output to the TV.

Hopefully this will be easy to install, and won't require taking anything apart.

alexh
September 9th, 2005, 10:02
Yeah, right you'll really be able to get uncompressed digital video out of a 3-wire serial bus... not.

Slim chance that they can multiplex composite video onto one of the pins... but I doubt it... it would add too much cost to the PSP for a feature no-one would have ever used.

Psyberjock
September 9th, 2005, 13:52
I guess you guys aren't looking very closely if at all. If you notice the back of the device and the front of the display, as well as a few words in the discription concerning portability, this is obviously a replacement case that attaches to inside components. The front of the PSP (just below the screen) is much taller than it previously was and the back has a space for the UMD drive to pop out and allow you to insert and remove UMDs.

You wouldn't have to worry about the space for UMD insertion and removal if it could snap on and off, though it would be a bit more convenient (although unfortunately also technically impossible for previously stated USB reasons).

Anyways, that's what I deduce from actually looking at the picture and not just seeing a PSP with something hanging off the back. Let me know if I'm right.

(Not sure if I would use it since I have to open the PSP and void the warranty. I still have a 1.0 Japanese PSP. But I do like the idea.)

Edit *Make that a replacement case and a dockable AV connector. OR a modification to the original case and the dockable AV connector. I re-read again and decided there was room for a couple of extra options.