PDA

View Full Version : Ben Heck's PlayStation 3 Laptop

bandit
April 11th, 2008, 15:24
Ben Heck is truly the modding god. Not only has he brought back old gaming machines back to life with newly refreshed look, hes also made a one-handed controller and has even stepped up with transforming a full next-gen console into laptops! But his latest achievement is a PlayStation 3 Laptop! It took 14 on and off months to build this masterpiece.

Want this?! You can! This is the only one Ben will make but it is being auctioned off for charity. More information to come.

Specs:

Original 60 gig PS3 model with backwards compatibility.
17" HDTV 720p screen, with HDMI connection. (Same as last Xbox 360 laptop)
Built-in keyboard and stereo audio amplifier.
Measures 17" x 13.75" x 3" (actually thinner than a stock PS3) and weighs 16 pounds!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/ps3-laptop-pics-01.jpg

More Images Via Comments

Source: Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/10/the-ps3-laptop-from-ben-heck-to-engadget-with-love/)

Triv1um
April 11th, 2008, 16:03
Nice.

Its stupidly big though, and weighs a bloody tonne, 16 pound is the weight of a heavy bowling ball (14 pounds is the average full weight bowling ball, but you can gets 15's and 16's)

ExcruciationX
April 11th, 2008, 17:38
Dang, if I had spare cash, I'd buy it just to piss JKKDARK off. :P

DPyro
April 11th, 2008, 17:46
Wheres the composite and HDMI outputs? What happens when I want to play PS3 on a big screen?

Shrygue
April 11th, 2008, 18:55
That's looks rather good actually, I woudn't mind having one.

Napalm-Death
April 11th, 2008, 18:57
Shit, I actually want this. I wish he'd make more.

Mc_Logical
April 13th, 2008, 02:52
It has to deff have linux! to make it feel more of a laptop too lol and as for a mouse? I would put a pull out plate on the right side, maybe a panel fold out from underneath, because when u wanna take it places

F9zDark
April 13th, 2008, 08:57
Haha nice. Just when I was thinking how sweet it'd be to have a portable PS3 :D

He better release the instructions online or something, because that would be ****ing cool.

Accordion
April 13th, 2008, 16:28
As much effort as it took, the lack of HDMI output, onboard game controller, and battery make this more pointless than most of his efforts.

Though playing PS3 on the train would be fun.

F9zDark
April 13th, 2008, 19:34
For a first attempt its great. Now that he knows "how" to make a PS3 into a laptop he can later refine the construction and make a better one.

About the HDMI port, chances are he used it to plug the monitor into. Computer monitors only come in 3 flavors mind you: VGA, DVI and now HDMI. Assuming he used a computer monitor, chances are, its input was HDMI or even DVI with HDCP (which would again, require the HDMI port, since there are DVI-HDMI adaptors).

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2008, 21:33
Want this?! You can! This is the only one Ben will make but it is being auctioned off for charity. More information to come.

Of course, don't expect more mods from a system which 1) the price is too high 2) is a commercial failure

lmtlmt
April 14th, 2008, 01:31
you a f****** idiot troller who does nothing but bag the ps3 all day. just stay out of the f****** ps3 section if thats all your going to do here F****** C*** just f*** off. FFS!

Napalm-Death
April 14th, 2008, 02:32
you a f****** idiot troller who does nothing but bag the ps3 all day. just stay out of the f****** ps3 section if thats all your going to do here F****** C*** just f*** off. FFS!

I wonder if this'll actually work...

F9zDark
April 14th, 2008, 04:14

Thanks for that, I am not even wasting my time with her anymore. She has nothing good to say about the PS3 and it gets old real quick.

DPyro
April 14th, 2008, 05:00
You people do realize that's a guy pretending to be a chick? How sad is that...

Napalm-Death
April 14th, 2008, 14:38

A guy pretending to be a girl that's pretending to own a 360 just so (s)he'll feel better about himself.

Triv1um
April 14th, 2008, 19:19

I dont think there was enough swear words in that.

Another **** would of made it made. :D :rofl:

Yes, JKK won't leave it lay.

It unbelievable, that he/she still thinks he/she is still always right, after supporting HD-DVD.

You would of thought that total ownage would make him/her shut the **** up.

F9zDark
April 14th, 2008, 22:08

Wow that is pretty sad. Yet JKKDark is a staunch opponent to homosexuality; GO FIGURE.

Its just sad that JKKDark feels so negatively against the PS3. It is far from a commercial failure. And given the fact that the Wii is a far cry different in terms of gameplay and price, makes it a non-competitor; in that everyone can own a Wii and a 360/PS3.

So if we remove the Wii from the equation, the PS3 is only second in the war against a True-Competitor. And given the fact that in the same time period the PS3 sold more consoles than the 360 (1 year) indicates to me that its NOT a failure in the least.

And besides, if the PS3 was such a failure, why would Ben Heck even mod it to begin with? Why would he then auction it off for charity? Surely something that is a failure, wouldn't sell, modded or not.

Case in point, when the DC failed was Gamestop still selling New-In-Box DreamCasts? No. At that point they couldn't even give them away.

Narcotize
April 15th, 2008, 16:57
I think the PS3 is great, the exclusives that it has got I love, and anything that the 360 offers that I want to play I can have on my laptop!