PDA

View Full Version : Possible Downgrader Woes

wraggster
September 8th, 2005, 20:02
I dont know when the downgrader is coming out and to be honest the best thing in these situations is to sit back and wait patiently, this site will post the news as soon as it comes in.

Now a few things to think about before anyone uses a downgrader, one if you brick your PSP its very doubtful that Sony will replace or fix it for free so thats something you have to way up.

Another thing is that no website is to blame if you use the software. Remember no one is forcing you to downgrade if and when it gets released

Finally as a webmaster its a worry if Sony and lets be quite honest here, if Sony find anything that can be used to prosecute sites then im sure they will, in the past they have come down heavy on sites with the Bios of the PSone for download. So for all PSP scene websites you have to be careful. i trust the combined efforts of Team Wab and PSP-Dev but theres always food for thought with any thing you do to a console thats not considered the norm.

slayer2psp
September 8th, 2005, 20:33
just buy the Extented Warranty when you get you psp its like 20 to 25 extra dollars in the usa so if your buying for homebrew and your new to all this stuff get the warranty when you get your psp i did but i have a 1.50 and a 2.0 i would like to roll back the 2.0 because the avc mp4 and the web browser are no real big deal i rather have homebrew on both of them

OmegaNine
September 8th, 2005, 23:35
Thats my biggest deal. I love all the stuff that the home brew is bringing, and I know that sooner or later the 2.0 will be cracked. I like the browser, but no matter what I do (I use divx) im going to have to recode my movies. Im in a delima. Dont upgrade and miss out on the browser, or upgrade and miss out on the home brew. I am getting my PSP in less than an hour, so i guess I better decide fast :-p

~edit: and i agree, as much as this stuff interests me, I will be keeping it off my site. I give props to the few that are brave enough to understand that might happen, and still host the info.

Shapyi
September 9th, 2005, 00:34
Sony doesn't really check the PSPs they just give you a refurb model. Just tell them you were playing game and it won't turn on anymore. Say that you tried to remove the battery, plugging it in, etc. They don't care, they are just people trying to make a living, they'll take it and give you a new one haha.

If you make it look like its their fault, they'll replace it for free.

ataribob
September 9th, 2005, 03:30
yep! You can Brick it under Warranty

urherenow
September 9th, 2005, 04:13
Still don't understand what approach they are taking for the downgrade. It would seem to me that they are simply trying to hack the official 1.50 update (which would only be for the Japanese PSPs since the US was already 1.5?) to make the PSP think that it's actually an updated firmware so it will execute it. In that case what kind of bugs could there be? Either it will execute or it won't. The second video was definitely a 2.0PSP and it definitly looked like it stared executing the code, which is very promising. But once it starts to execute the update, what kind of problems are arising? Boy, I wish Yoshiro had a blog or something that walked us through the steps he's taking and what not. THAT would be ultra cool :)

Heran_Bago
September 9th, 2005, 04:27
What part of "sit back and wait patiently" is not comprehensable?

Shapyi
September 9th, 2005, 05:07
urherenow, the problem with him giving us the method or approach he was using would be some lamer would just take those ideas and release an untested downgrader. He'd then take all the credit for himself and Yoshi, WAB and PSP-DEV want that credit. It happened already some other kid who made a "downgrader" concept based on what he heard on IRC.

urherenow
September 9th, 2005, 10:51
What part of "sit back and wait patiently" is not comprehensable?

I hope that wasn't directed at me. If you paid any attention you'd know that I have a 1.50 PSP and therefore, don't really give a damn. I'm just joining in on the conversation and thinking out loud :cool:

Shapyi: Yea, I hear ya but there are always a zillion ways to look at things. First and foremost, Yoshiro and the WAB team can't possibly be making a living from whatever donations they received. They do this because they enjoy it. So who cares if somebody releases an untested downgrader? If you're dumb enough to try such things yourself before it has been tested then you deserve to "brick" your PSP. Someone else taking credit... yea that would piss me off something also but again, everyone will know where the work came from if they saw his BLOG and the lamer releases his stuff after the info has been posted. I just think that announcing something like this before it was ready was a mistake in the first place. Now that everyone knows about it and is waiting for it, a BLOG just *MIGHT* be what the doctor ordered to cut back on the whining and flaming. If someone else is able to steel his ideas and get a working one first, then all the better for everyone and anyone with half a brain would know to give credit where credit is due.