PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Next-Gen Nintendo DS Unveiled at E3 2008

Shrygue
April 11th, 2008, 20:15
via Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/378899/rumor-next+gen-nintendo-ds-unveiled-at-e3-2008)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2008/04/thumb463x_giz-wants-ds-open.jpg
Concept image

Hirokazu Hamamura, the head of gigantic Japanese gaming mag Famitsu's parent company, made a prediction that Nintendo will unveil the next-generation DS at E3 2008 this summer. Normally we wouldn't think anything of some businessman making predictions, but if anyone knows what's going on with Nintendo, it's Famitsu (the gaming industry and gaming press are really tight over there).

Kotaku says it took two years between the transition from DS to DS Lite, so a summer DS Lite to DS EXTREME transition might be possible. Our prediction is that they'll do away with the GBA port altogether, saving space and hardware costs.

masterchief929
April 11th, 2008, 20:39
i kinda hope that he is wrong, but then i hope that he is right... im so confused :confused:...

Steely
April 11th, 2008, 21:05
If it's something like the lite, the graphics won't be much improved.
However, if it actually is a next-gen handheld just with DS playback(Which I would FRIGGIN love, but it would be kinda dumb seeing as how much profit the DS is making...), then I'll sell my beautiful DS lite as soon as a release date is announced... Or maybe just keep it.

JKKDARK
April 11th, 2008, 21:26
It looks interesting, bigger screens. Maybe a better hardware would be aweomse too.

jrsmaster411
April 12th, 2008, 02:46
it'll probably just be a redesigned ds like the ds lite not a next gen ds

Cevius
April 12th, 2008, 03:57
it'll probably just be a redesigned ds like the ds lite not a next gen ds

That would make the most sence, since they already have a MASSIVE backlog of DS games. Although, there may be a new line of DSE games that only the DSE can run, since the DS and DSL would not have the computational hardware/balls.

Things i would like to see... No more GBA port, built in vibration, better battery life, modular apps in the DS Home menus, more customisable stuff, onboard storage for crap/downloaded games/demos.

Hell, if you can just download games directly from online shops, then nintendo would be able to save a buttload, sell the games for cheaper, and improve interest. DSSTEAM here we come!

<End brainfart>

Hypershell
April 12th, 2008, 05:39
I don't see a next-gen system coming, it's too soon. Not only is the Lite still selling like hotcakes, but until recently it was still very easy to find a new GBA SP.

A hardware revision, perhaps, but it can't be anything that will generate incompatibilities with future game titles, otherwise Nintendo risks alienating and aggravating the Lite userbase, which is massive; they'd be fools to do so. Internal memory and games that utilize it are very well possible, but if that's the case, I fully expect a Slot-2 pak to provide those features for the older DS models.

wabsta
April 12th, 2008, 09:49
I just hope that this DS can connect through WPA..
That would be a major and really cool update already.

Eviltaco64
April 12th, 2008, 16:53
I don't see a next-gen system coming, it's too soon. Not only is the Lite still selling like hotcakes, but until recently it was still very easy to find a new GBA SP.

A hardware revision, perhaps, but it can't be anything that will generate incompatibilities with future game titles, otherwise Nintendo risks alienating and aggravating the Lite userbase, which is massive; they'd be fools to do so. Internal memory and games that utilize it are very well possible, but if that's the case, I fully expect a Slot-2 pak to provide those features for the older DS models.

Well the DS came out only about 3 1/2 years after GBA did, so they might release some next gen handheld in the near future (handheld gamecube :) ).

wiggy fuzz
April 12th, 2008, 20:58
please, please, PLEASE support WPA... that's all i want, above everything else in a new DS

cutterjohn
April 12th, 2008, 22:42
Well the DS came out only about 3 1/2 years after GBA did, so they might release some next gen handheld in the near future (handheld gamecube :) ).IMO the DS was Nintendo's response to the PSP. If Nintendo didn't cough up something better than the GBA the PSP would've killed them. i.e. it had been known that the DS was in development, but I fully expect that Nintendo would've sat on it longer had Sony not been planning on the imminent PSP release...

There is no such pressure now, and at best I'd expect maybe a smaller DS, possibly deleting the GBA slot-2 as others have mentioned. I really doubt the wider top screen as shown in the attached image.

Zense
April 13th, 2008, 00:33
This picture is obviously fake/funny/nonsense though since the biggest mistake nintendo would do by making a handheld like that one would be to add a button for start and another button for pause... I would not want the next one to come out soon. Ds backwards compatibilty is granted. It would be a major mistake to not add that to it. It would stride with how they have made handhelds before to not add it.

Rebrek
April 13th, 2008, 02:44
If they make a portable Gamecube, their handhelds will only be slightly weaker than their home consoles, considering how little improvement the Wii's hardware is. No problems, just ironic.

darksamus
April 13th, 2008, 04:26
Given the what I've heard from a pretty trustworthy source of mine, and this bit of of news, I would not be surprised if Ninty had a new handheld in the works, but I'm not sure if now would be a good time to start showing off a new system. The DS has a lot of things to do still, including its interactivity with the Wii. On the other hand, the DS has become a little bit of a shovelware haven ("Imagine: Babies", I'm looking at you).

wiggy fuzz
April 13th, 2008, 08:42
IMO the DS was Nintendo's response to the PSP. If Nintendo didn't cough up something better than the GBA the PSP would've killed them. i.e. it had been known that the DS was in development, but I fully expect that Nintendo would've sat on it longer had Sony not been planning on the imminent PSP release...

There is no such pressure now, and at best I'd expect maybe a smaller DS, possibly deleting the GBA slot-2 as others have mentioned. I really doubt the wider top screen as shown in the attached image.

probably explains why the original ds phat was... well, not very pretty. it still looked like a work in progress and didn't resemble the upcomming revolution (what it was called at the time)

considering how many times the original gameboy got refreshed (the colour was more powerful) and the GBA recieved a refresh (for common sense's sake) this ds should just be a little smaller... or feature a larger brighter screen.

of course, that depends entirely if a new DS/handheld console gets released...

evilzippy
April 14th, 2008, 01:15
agreeeeed wpa would be the icing on cake like most smart people I dont use WEP its so easy to hack its flawed as hell 8) so come on nintendo give us something we need lol

Jeric
April 14th, 2008, 14:07
Of course I would back the WPA support if only for the following reasons.

It would REQUIRE a better processor and more ram. Both of which would be a godsend to homebrew users.

Now if they do away wit hthe GBA slot and drop in more ram, plus more features in the bios I'd want to see existing ds titles that use the gba slot for ram expansion still work (are there any others outside of operads?)

Anyway IF the top screen is wider...I'd like to see some built in media support. Also hoping that homebrew isn't going to be shot in the legs due to bios changing (as that would make me not happy, i like homebrew).

Kiinda hoping it has a microsd slot, partly for ease of homebrewery, but also because it opens the possibility for interpolarity with the wiishop channle (VC games on the ds=WIN). Could be one reason for a widened top screen, they saw the problems homebrewers were facing with emulation and decided the best way to go would be to make a bigger screen.

My DS has seen better days (scuffed bottom screen due to overuse, L button's dodgey) but he's served me well so far.