PDA

View Full Version : Can you use the RAM cart from the Nintendo Web Browser as a RAM cart for an M3 Real?

mumeix
April 12th, 2008, 16:13
I just bought an M3 Real for use with various homebrew apps (man I can't wait to play doom on my DS!) Anyways, I already own the DS Web Browser, and wanted to know if the slot 2 RAM cart that comes with it would work with the M3 Real. I have a non-lite DS, so I need a RAM cart that will work, but all the bundles I've seen are for DS Lite consoles :confused:

DanTheManMS
April 13th, 2008, 00:19
The Opera RAM cart can be used as RAM with homebrew apps, but you won't be able to use it to run GBA files.

mumeix
April 13th, 2008, 04:43
The Opera RAM cart can be used as RAM with homebrew apps, but you won't be able to use it to run GBA files.

that's fine with me! i'm not really planning on running any GBA files, though i'm a little curious why it would not run them. i mainly want to use it as RAM for homebrew apps. i would have bought a RAM cart, but all the ones i've seen so far are for the DS Lite. if i were to change my mind in the future and want to buy a cart for the old DS, is there an option, or am i looking at buying a DS Lite?

DanTheManMS
April 13th, 2008, 05:56
It'll work for Moonshell and SNEmulDS at least, and DSLinux will get a small usability boost, but Quake II requires at least 16 MB of slot-2 RAM while the Opera pack only contains 8 MB.

GBA execution cannot happen on the RAM pak because the GBA starts execution at offset 0x80000000 (give or take a few zeros) while the Opera pak's writable portion doesn't start until 0x90000000.

If you change your mind in the future, you could get a Phat-sized 3in1 expansion pack or a non-Rumble Supercard miniSD or M3 Perfect miniSD. Anything microSD would be Lite only.

mumeix
April 14th, 2008, 05:11
Thanks for all the help! I'll definitely look into a different cart if I ever decide to run GBA apps. Mostly, I want to run DS apps (like Doom and the Comic Reader.) I've also heard there are some pretty good homebrew games out there, but it looks like I'll have to check and see if they require more RAM or not. Thanks again for the information!

wiggy fuzz
April 14th, 2008, 07:43
the latest version of image viewer (v1.0) will require either the opera ram pak or the 3 in 1 ezflash to work properly. i didn't find that out until i sold my ram pak :(