PDA

View Full Version : If Only - A PSP Dream by Wraggy

wraggster
April 15th, 2008, 20:18
Just got in from the rain, yeah in my job i actually prefer it wet and miserable :)

Anyway thinking aloud to myself i wondered if Sony had somehow put the PS1 on a chip and stuck it inside the PSP, it would explain why the onboard PS1 Emulation is so very good, that or they took the best bits from VGS and Bleem the 2 PS1emulators they took out with multiple lawsuits.

Wouldnt it be sweet if the PSP was infact a super charged PS2 with enough similarities to be able to to just simulate the PS2 games rather than emulate.

Did Sony drop a major bollock by not making the PSP a more powerful brother of the PS2 or is it, it all makes you wonder :)

Anyway you can digest these thoughts whilst i carry on newsposting.

goity
April 15th, 2008, 20:28
It'd be cool, but DVDs are too big for one, and for another supercharging a PS2 would use way more power than the PSP does.
It'd be cool, as long as you're okay with 20 min battery life.

sleekgeek
April 15th, 2008, 20:52
you have to remember when the psp came out. it's a old gaming handheld, but still the most powerful on the market. Playing God of War or racing games is amazing on the machine. When I first picked up one back in 05 I couldn't tell the graphics were sub PS2 level.

Sony dropped the ball by not adding a second analog nub. A good FPS will a excellent mutliplayer mode would have put Sony ahead of the DS in the US.

fpcreator2000
April 15th, 2008, 20:58
Just got in from the rain, yeah in my job i actually prefer it wet and miserable :)

Anyway thinking aloud to myself i wondered if Sony had somehow put the PS1 on a chip and stuck it inside the PSP, it would explain why the onboard PS1 Emulation is so very good, that or they took the best bits from VGS and Bleem the 2 PS1emulators they took out with multiple lawsuits.

Wouldnt it be sweet if the PSP was infact a super charged PS2 with enough similarities to be able to to just simulate the PS2 games rather than emulate.

Did Sony drop a major bollock by not making the PSP a more powerful brother of the PS2 or is it, it all makes you wonder :)

Anyway you can digest these thoughts whilst i carry on newsposting.

Actually, Connectix VGS was bought out by Sony and Sony stopped developing it.

lagunareturns
April 15th, 2008, 21:18
Actually, Connectix VGS was bought out by Sony and Sony stopped developing it.

Yes but i think they continue development for the psp, because in the early days of the ps1 emulation on psp it had the same bugs with minor differences as vgs had, and it wasn't a coincidence final fantasy 9 was the first final fantasy game to work on the psp since vgs was patched to support it.

Hey I may be wrong, but i find it weird that an emulator that worked pentium 266 works very similar to an emulator on psp

Exophase
April 15th, 2008, 21:20
Sony never acquired the source to Bleem, only VGS. Some dynarec techniques from there might have helped them, but I doubt it. VGS ran alright on platforms that had around the same amount of CPU power as PSP, and without hardware acceleration too. The PS1 emulator on PSP is impressive but not incomprehensibly so.

The only piece of hardware Sony may have used that we know little about is the VME support hardware, but they probably just used the Media Engine CPU for SPU emulation.

JKKDARK
April 15th, 2008, 21:21
It'd be cool, but DVDs are too big for one
Size is not a problem. Memory sticks are getting bigger and bigger, we already have 16GB ;)

jeegee
April 15th, 2008, 21:24
Aside from all the above.. how much noise did the ps2 make??? fan was a major player in that... psp gets hot as it is lol.. any more power and it'd probably melt

masterchief929
April 15th, 2008, 21:26
wraggster, that was so deep! man! the psp is so magical! i wish i had one. but it would be really cool if it could just simulate ps2 instead of emulate.

Buddy4point0
April 16th, 2008, 01:20
There better be a ps2 emulator in the psp2

jxx2005
April 16th, 2008, 02:30
meh
the PSP is still the most powerful handheld on the market
it can do almost anything
phone with skype
video chat with emessenger
every game for any system that predates the PSX can be played
+ movies, music, pictures, homebrew
to quote a bitch
"its a good thing"

Eviltaco64
April 16th, 2008, 02:43
Im just guessing that they have the papers documenting the original Playstation hardware in full.
That, and the fact that they're paid professionals and it's their job (so there's obviously more effort and time put into it than homebrew emulators) is the reason that PS1 emulation is so good on PSP.

BrooksyX
April 16th, 2008, 04:16
It would be pretty sweet, but its doubtfull. Im still amazed at half the stuff that can run on the psp though.

arcadekidflo
April 16th, 2008, 05:57
Actually there are rumours of Sony launching PS2 downloadable games , just like the PS1 ones now , the PSP may handle them ...the resolution is half compared to Ps2 , sound is just stereo and there's no dummy data ( which can take very much space on a disc ) Let's dream :)

Aryn
April 16th, 2008, 10:00
You think the PSP is so amazing? You have not seen anything yet, I believe that SONY and Nintendo are capable of giving us portable Wiis and PS2s (and possibly PS3s, after further development and miniaturization of several components) but just do not want to do so. Why? because both companies generate more revenue by marketing and collecting game licensing fees for two game systems than they would in marketing only one game system. And not many would purchase a console system if the portable system can already pack the same amount of power in a smaller package.

Larry
April 16th, 2008, 10:02
There better be a ps2 emulator in the psp2

PSP2? i'd doubt we'd see that anytime soon.

After how easy and common piracy is on the psp, i doubt they'll do this again soon.

The only problem i have with the psp that sets it below the ps2, is the analog sticks. that's it.

How hard would it have been for sony to make a clip on analog stick adapter, or something like that.
I dislike the psp's current analog stick as well. i'd rather have a tilt axis analog stick, than the current side to side movement one.

I'm sure miniture tilt axis sticks could have been made to fit with some minor hardware layout changes. maybe even increase the size of the psp by 5%

aTomIC
April 16th, 2008, 10:41
its a good dream. Sony should release a new psp with two analog sticks and with ps1/2 emulation on board :D

Thats were great, yeah :)

But without that damn umd drive. Only Memory Stick Pro Duo, so the battery life is longer (i knew that i play my original (umd) games from memory stick)

bah
April 16th, 2008, 10:47
Cost, power consumption, heat.

The market for the PSP is already people looking for a high end portable and they were (are?) loosing money on each unit sold.
I doubt the extra power at extra cost to consumers would have increased sales all that much or that they were willing to take an even bigger loss per unit.

I dont think sony dropped the ball with the PSP, its the first real competition for Nintendo in the portable arena since the gamegear. Its a LOT more powerful than the DS yet the DS is more profitable.
Sony may be arrogant, but they're not stupid.

masterchief929: I think perhaps you should smoke pot.

Aryn: I think perhaps you should smoke a lot less.
High end gaming laptops are huge (and so is their battery capacity) compared to the PSP and they still have terrible battery life and do not perform as well as a high end gaming PC.
Higher specced chips draw more power and convert more of it to heat than lower specced ones.
Hell, it seems like 1/2 the early 360 models got the RRoD, almost always due to heat related issues (despite the chip having a heatsink and some form of airflow).
The PSP's chip has no heatsink and is entirely passively cooled with almost 0 airflow. It doesn't get hot enough to make your hands more than a little warm, let alone melt solder or burn itself out.

That has to be the craziest conspiracy theory ever :)
Apples and oranges man.

Physicist
April 16th, 2008, 19:03
meh
the PSP is still the most powerful handheld on the market
it can do almost anything
phone with skype
video chat with emessenger
every game for any system that predates the PSX can be played
+ movies, music, pictures, homebrew
to quote a bitch
"its a good thing"

wait wait wait
VIDEO chat?
That must be an application?
You can't do it using the web browser anyway...

Broadus
April 17th, 2008, 01:08
I don't get the point of this topic. The idea of the PSP being built with PS2 power is clearly not very thought-out. It's too old for the PS2 power to fit inside of it. When the PSP was made, the slim PS2 was as small as the PS2 could get.

No_one_in_particular
April 17th, 2008, 07:28
wait wait wait
VIDEO chat?
That must be an application?
You can't do it using the web browser anyway...
Go!Messenger.

newb_fo_life
April 17th, 2008, 21:33
If we could get half-life on,we could get Opposing force and blue shift on it then,but thats just all a dream....