PDA

View Full Version : Gecko Region Free - Region Free Gaming on Wii Via Homebrew App

wraggster
April 15th, 2008, 20:36
Ok this has to be one of the biggest releases yet for the Homebrew scene, Nuke (http://www.usbgecko.com/forums/showthread.php?p=807) has released a Region Free Loader for your Commercial Wii Games, so now you dont need a freeloader or anything just this, in a nutshell this is the Holy Grail of Wii Homebrew releases :)

Heres the readme:

Gecko Region Free (v1.0) (c) NUke

Instructions:

Load boot.elf from Chain Loader. Insert any Wii Game and press reset. Enjoy your region free gaming.

Cool Additional Bonus (optional)

If you own a USB Gecko it will install a remote debugger and screenshot engine into memory and will hook. This means you can load Gecko Tool version included and grab screen shots and use the remote debugger in any Wii game. This is all done on the fly and silently, and has no effect on none USB Gecko users.

Technical Gargon:

Gecko Region Free was created with the homebrew libogc library. No certs, Tmd, Tik, Keys or other Nintendo copyright material were used or attached in the file, making it a pure homebrew release. No Datel code was used either, so please don't call this a clone etc as this and Freeloader work in completely different ways.

The decryption is done by the hardware, not in software and the correct IOS version of the game booting is selected and used. This is done by reading the information off the DVD using the low level read commands and then passed back to the starlet.

My own apploader was written, and will completely ignore the update partition, no patching is done except a region flag which is required.

This of course only works with Wii games.

Disclaimer:

Please note I take 'no' responsibility for the use of this software, If a game doesn't work you can report this in the USB Gecko forums, and I will try to fix it for the next release. It has worked on all games i've tried however I can not afford to buy all games so will need beta testers

Big Greets to the following people:

Xt5, Shagkur, Y.S, Bushing, Costis, Dhewg, Pinchy, Segher, TMBinc, brakken and tehskeen.com and all Gecko beta testers!

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

via brakken (http://www.tehskeen.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=2319)

wraggster
April 15th, 2008, 20:52
the wii scene just keeps getting better :)

idapimp
April 15th, 2008, 20:58
this is awesome. im going to buy mario kart right now.

JKKDARK
April 15th, 2008, 21:10
So it's more easy than using a freeloader?

DimensionT
April 15th, 2008, 21:28
It's probably harder, but my guess is that this will still work after IOS37. They're fixing the Freeloader disc, not the loading of homebrew.

wraggster
April 15th, 2008, 21:33
i must say that theres some damn impressive codersworking on the Wii Scene

kit786
April 15th, 2008, 21:47
Can you use the TP hack to load this?

idapimp
April 15th, 2008, 21:47
i agree

AngelicLiver
April 15th, 2008, 22:28
Unfortunately it's a no-go from me. My PAL Wii fails to boot the NTSC version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl via this software. It recognises the disc and then promptly presents me with a black screen. I usually use 480p but I've tried all of the other video modes just in case, still no luck. I'll have to stick with my Freeloader for the time being.

If Nuke is reading this; keep up the great work it's much appreciated! All us hard done by Europeans could do with a homebrew hero to help us with our region woes.

____anders____
April 15th, 2008, 22:44
Unfortunately it's a no-go from me. My PAL Wii fails to boot the NTSC version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl via this software. It recognises the disc and then promptly presents me with a black screen. I usually use 480p but I've tried all of the other video modes just in case, still no luck. I'll have to stick with my Freeloader for the time being.

If Nuke is reading this; keep up the great work it's much appreciated! All us hard done by Europeans could do with a homebrew hero to help us with our region woes.

too bad, SSBB is the only NTSC game i own (i have a PAL wii) crap.. it gets quite annoying to insert freeloader first and then SSBB, but this could be good if he will make an update where it supports DL-games..
this app is surely a break-through in the scene:) and i hope more is coming..

xxademasoulxx
April 15th, 2008, 23:26
does it work with backups

JKKDARK
April 16th, 2008, 00:52
Yes, it does.

Sairou
April 16th, 2008, 04:30
Yes, it does.
Do backups work without mod-chips?

linkinworm
April 16th, 2008, 04:55
i think the next version should support GC games, then work on compatability, atleast then its an all in one freeloader, maybe SSBB doesnt work because its duel layer

xshinox
April 16th, 2008, 05:24

If Nuke is reading this; keep up the great work it's much appreciated! All us hard done by Europeans could do with a homebrew hero to help us with our region woes.since brawl isnt out in the PAL region and you need to update to play brawl (USA), that might be why it isnt loading for you. try to update to the latest firmware and try again. if that doesnt work, then i dont know.

too bad, SSBB is the only NTSC game i own (i have a PAL wii) crap.. it gets quite annoying to insert freeloader first and then SSBB, but this could be good if he will make an update where it supports DL-games..
this app is surely a break-through in the scene:) and i hope more is coming..so you are saying this homebrew freeloader doesnt load dual layered games?

Sairou
April 16th, 2008, 05:48
Also, anybody try it on an NTSC Wii and works other than me? =P Wondering about backups on non-modchipped wii though still. =]

linkinworm
April 16th, 2008, 05:58
some backups work, but only with a modchip

tehnoir
April 16th, 2008, 06:36
i think the next version should support GC games, then work on compatability, atleast then its an all in one freeloader, maybe SSBB doesnt work because its duel layer

Start coding.

linkinworm
April 16th, 2008, 06:49
Start coding.
if they release the sorce i will, i ent doing this on my own, they coded it them selves from scratch, im only one person, there a team

____anders____
April 16th, 2008, 10:26
since brawl isnt out in the PAL region and you need to update to play brawl (USA), that might be why it isnt loading for you. try to update to the latest firmware and try again. if that doesnt work, then i dont know.

so you are saying this homebrew freeloader doesnt load dual layered games?

it's my guess, i'm not going to try this until it does support DL games, as SSBB is my only game that's NTSC so why should i try it when the other guy already tried it and i didn't work for him, so why should it work for me?

and i already have the datel freeloader, but this would be perfect so we don't have to buy it, and probably N will release a patch so the datael one won't work, and the i can just boot the homebrew channel and load this, that's awesome, the best homebrew so far imho:)..

EDIT: i have done the update, but only for DL media, i inserted freeloader, ejected it and inserted it again, and then ejected it and inserted SSBB, so it would accept the Dual-Layer update only, not the channels, so i don't have dual channels:)
thanks to the guy who told me that here on dcemu, can't remember who, but thanks!:)

KuLeD00d
April 16th, 2008, 11:02
Dumb question time! Does this work at all with a SD card or does this only work with Gecko ?

linkinworm
April 16th, 2008, 11:33
Dumb question time! Does this work at all with a SD card or does this only work with Gecko ? it says usb gecko freeloader but its for the front SD, the USB gecko part is for streaming the image to your pc, they should have explained this more

memorris
April 16th, 2008, 15:35
latest version v1.1 beta.
http://www.usbgecko.com/geckoRF.zip

KuLeD00d
April 16th, 2008, 15:41
it says usb gecko freeloader but its for the front SD, the USB gecko part is for streaming the image to your pc, they should have explained this moreSo I could essentially use this as a free SD (or MicroSD with a SD adapter) alternative to Datel's Freeloader? Alright, thanks for the info! Now to read up about the homebrew channel.

memorris
April 16th, 2008, 17:11
latest version v1.2 beta.
quote from nuke
Fixes problem PAL users are having with NTSC / JAP games by forcing the video mode registers to NTSC when launching. I only can test this on an NTSC system but i forced my console to PAL video mode to test and seemed to work ok.

www.usbgecko.com/geckoRF12.zip

beta testers keep nuke informed

nesann
April 17th, 2008, 00:00
Hey guys.

In case you don't yet know, Super Smash Bros Brawl (NTSC) isn't working on PAL consoles yet (From what I've read). This is also the case for me.

This is with both 1.1 and 1.2beta.

If any pal users have any luck, please share your method. :thumbup:

das64
April 19th, 2008, 03:52
My JP smash works on my US Wii with this app, but its too late for me now, since I already have a JP Wii.

EDIT:I owned a JP Wii half a year before I decided to import smash, just so you know. ^_^

baadbwoy
April 27th, 2008, 22:06
Hi
Ive downloaded the 1.2 version of this, and cant get it to work, can anyone help with a simple step by step guide to getting this to work. I have a PAL Wii console and also the twilight princess game
Thanks

masterchief929
April 27th, 2008, 22:24
wow, i love the wii homebrew scene even better now!

marios_shadow
June 30th, 2008, 02:59
So wait, if you were to use Gecko RF to load up the Wii Freeloader, then you could use the Freeloader to load up out of region gamecube games, right?
Wouldn't that be neat? Unfortunately, this can't boot Gamecube games.

saw fish
July 31st, 2008, 10:19
sorry,The file corrupt ?

razzal
January 26th, 2010, 22:59
hi, all.
Not sure if its right but when i open the zip file, i can only see 1 file called 'boot.elf'
is that right?

djdynamite123
January 27th, 2010, 00:03
hi, all.
Not sure if its right but when i open the zip file, i can only see 1 file called 'boot.elf'
is that right?this is a very old version, look for a newer release thread. Called Gecko.