PDA

View Full Version : Wii TETRIS Channel Installer

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 16th, 2008, 11:36
I've managed to create and install a channel on my Wii. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/v/lQEo1Rd_W2s

This is NOT a fake. I can actually make any type of channel with just a "*.dol" file

PD: I'm not interested in VC channels, at least not yet. It's best to get "legal" emulators fully compatible with Wii than pirating VC games.

Maggifixxx
April 16th, 2008, 16:48
Then make something we need, for example a good ELF Loader Channel, Gecko Loader Channel or something like that.

We, (at least I) don't need a channel for every single homebrew I have.

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 16th, 2008, 16:56
I know we don't need a channel for each homebrew game/program that exists. It's just a proof that I can do it, and I'm working on other channels, like the Gecko Free Loader Channel ;)

The only "problem" is that I need DOL files to make channels work, and they aren't allways available. The DOL2ELF doesn't work correctly.

Maggifixxx
April 16th, 2008, 17:18
Yeah of course I didn't mean it like that ^^

Good work of corse.

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but dol and elf are different Binary formats, am I right?

So if sourcecodes of the homebrews still exsist, there would be the possibility to compile them as dol.

And that would mean you would be able to turn them into a channel, right?

Why don't you contact Nuke?
It would be great to have a Freeloader Channel.

One question, you did this over modifing a game disc of a game, right?
So to install channels (this way) we would need a modchip, right?

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 16th, 2008, 17:26
Well, if anyone is interested in having a channel, they can contact me and I will make one for them ;)

And yes, for now it must be installed with a DVD, and a modchip of course. I'm no good at programing, and don't know where to start to get an ELF installer xD

DimensionT
April 16th, 2008, 18:56
I'll give you gredit for making your own channel, but please don't release it until people know what these are going to do in the long run.

Here's a quote from Bushing that I think everyone should read (though they probably wont):

* Test. There are some patches that are difficult to test — say, patches to boot2 — but with most other patches, you can at least try to simulate conditions and see what happens. While working on the Homebrew Channel, we had some close calls (caused by invalid banners) that we only caught because we spent a lot of effort figuring out how to test our work. I don’t see any evidence that other people are doing this. I think that people are coding until they have something that works — at least once — and then releasing it. Great, except these tools are intended to protect users against a hypothetical future threat. How do you test to see if it’s effective? How do you test to see if it’s safe, even if a user goes through a future system update process?

* Explain. Not everyone who uses your software is going to want to read through a length rant about why your Wii might get ****ed up, but you can at least try to explain what risks there are, why they are there, and what things people can do to try to avoid those risks. Things like “don’t patch code that is necessary for your Wii to boot unless you have a specific, immediate need to do so.” Things like this show that you have at least taken the time to think things through, and that you are at least aware of all of the possible risks. If you don’t understand what you’re doing well enough to clearly define the risks, how can you claim you can protect your users from calamity?

* Plan for the worst. Assume that your software will fail at exactly the wrong moment. Can you do anything to make that less damaging? Can you tell your users how to “undo” your modifications? Can you provide some suggestions for recovery?

linkinworm
April 16th, 2008, 18:57
Well, if anyone is interested in having a channel, they can contact me and I will make one for them ;)

And yes, for now it must be installed with a DVD, and a modchip of course. I'm no good at programing, and don't know where to start to get an ELF installer xD
could you not just look at the homebrew loader and see what they have done, someone else managed to edit it to take the time off, i think it would be awsome to put a freeloader channel on there, or how about the emulators RIN and snes? as there currently the best ones on wii

DimensionT
April 16th, 2008, 18:58
could you not just look at the homebrew loader and see what they have done, someone else managed to edit it to take the time off, i think it would be awsome to put a freeloader channel on there, or how about the emulators RIN and snes? as there currently the best ones on wii

:confused: This is the same guy that removed the limit.

linkinworm
April 16th, 2008, 19:26
:confused: This is the same guy that removed the limit.
no im just sudgesting, as he said he can make any wii channel

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 16th, 2008, 19:27
I am the same one who did the time limit thing, with help of a friend.

I've made a new SNES Channel with the new release of the emulator that supports Front SD Saves. It's been released at the ElOtroLado forums.

linkinworm
April 16th, 2008, 19:55
soo you can get elf installing working right? i mean you know how it must work to get rid of the time limit, and getting front sd saving working

DPyro
April 16th, 2008, 20:05
Ok...now try installing using the TP hack. Not many poeple own a modchip.

DimensionT
April 16th, 2008, 20:17
Am I the only one that's worried about the dangers of installing this stuff?

tehnoir
April 16th, 2008, 21:51
I'll give you gredit for making your own channel, but please don't release it until people know what these are going to do in the long run.

Here's a quote from Bushing that I think everyone should read (though they probably wont):

Glad to see I'm not the only one who read that. Looks like quite a few people could still stand to pay attention to it though.

For the record, I don't find it any more responsible to have people PM you to have you make them a channel. The work that Jay has been able to do is a direct result of having access to others' work. Is it really fair to say "PM me and I'll give you the same benefit that was given to me?" At least if you'd put out source or some details of your work, others could try and make it more safe or reliable to use.

iofthestorm
April 17th, 2008, 00:04
Am I the only one that's worried about the dangers of installing this stuff?

No, I'm waiting also for a good release from bushing et. al. before I install any homebrew channels on my Wii, because they seem to be the only ones that are concerned about bricking people's Wiis and stuff like that. Since this would certainly void the warranty, I'm not going to risk bricking my Wii just for a little convenience in launching homebrew until I can be relatively sure it won't brick my Wii.

PeyeRate420
April 17th, 2008, 02:37
i think when you start running unsighned code on a cosole or unofficial code you have already agreed to take that risk i dont hold the developer resposible for sharing knoledge with us and people not following instructions (i have modded my psp since 1.5 FW and seen a lot of BLAME happen when any of those bricks could have been avoided by following the readme files directions :( most bricks happen because of people not reading the "read me" file! :o i think this is awesome! i would try it in a heart beat! hope the installer works on the twilight hack i use 5 emulators now and MFE as well as the titty demo WOOOT! for GRRlib!

DimensionT
April 17th, 2008, 02:48
There's no risk in running homebrew using the Twilight hack, unless the homebrew contains malicious code. Writing to the Wii's memory is a completely different thing.

You might know the risks, but not everyone does. In fact, I'm sure the majority of homebrew users don't.

The least he can do is wait on releasing this until we know what can happen. Actually, the "least" he can do is issue a warning, but I haven't seen him do that.

Too many people on here are downloading these things thinking they're perfect. It's not going to be their fault when something goes wrong, because this guy says nothing about what might happen.

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 17th, 2008, 03:29
I wont feel guilty if any Wii bricks because of any channel I've made.
I test the channels before I release them, so I would be the first to know any problems.

Anyway, I've got tons of other interesting channels ready, and those who dont like it aren't invited.

Oh, and I'm in contact with bushing/marcan and most of the great people from #wiidev, asking for information; most of what I know is thanks to them, and I follow their instrucctions right up to the last byte :)

DimensionT
April 17th, 2008, 03:37
That's my point... You don't seem to care. The qoute from Bushing I posted shows his concern over the matter. You may have tested it, but you still have no idea what could happen in the future.

This isn't even the issue (though it should be). You're not posting any warnings/dislaimers what-so-ever. This is why it will fall on your head when something bad happens...

But, apparently you don't care. The only people that'll be shit out of luck are the ones that decided to trust your judgment.

Capt_Trips
April 17th, 2008, 06:27
What exactly are the risks to the insides of the wii from using the Zelda Hack? and the sdloaders? and the emulators? and the installing of channels?

How exactly does one go about installing channels?

Why is everyone not happy about this astonishing breakthrough?

KuLeD00d
April 17th, 2008, 06:35
Does this channel last longer than the 10 minutes that all the other channels have been allocated so far?

What does this write to the Wii's firmware and how can I be cautious while installing so that I do not brick my Wii?

Once installed does this still require Twilight to be in the Drive or will it execute Unsigned code without it if I choose to use this channel?

How difficult is it to remove this Homebrew channel?

Some collective questions that I've had people wanting to answer, I find the top two asked quite frequently.

tehnoir
April 17th, 2008, 07:39
Does this channel last longer than the 10 minutes that all the other channels have been allocated so far?

There is no time limit for this channel; it has been removed.

What does this write to the Wii's firmware and how can I be cautious while installing so that I do not brick my Wii?

I don't think the "author" is even sure at this point.

Once installed does this still require Twilight to be in the Drive or will it execute Unsigned code without it if I choose to use this channel?

After the channel is installed, the TP disc should no longer be needed to run the channel.

How difficult is it to remove this Homebrew channel?

There are tools around to uninstall these channels, though I'm not sure if it will continue to leave traces of itself in the system or not.

DimensionT
April 17th, 2008, 07:59
What exactly are the risks to the insides of the wii from using the Zelda Hack? and the sdloaders? and the emulators? and the installing of channels?

How exactly does one go about installing channels?

Why is everyone not happy about this astonishing breakthrough?

The answer to your first three questions is nothing. To the fourth one, no one knows. It could do anything, it could do nothing. It's not safe to say at this point.

It is indeed a break through... But in all honesty they should not be released to the public yet.

Rod_Hull
April 17th, 2008, 09:23
I agree with you completely. There is somone listening to your comments!

I'm certainly not going to install a channel on my Wii until it's been tested to death - removing the time-limit THAT WAS PUT THERE DELIBERATELY FOR USERS' SAFETY on a bit of code that is essentially in alpha (almost pre-alpha) stages is totally irresponsible.

There is always sadly a degree of willy-waving from certain people within an area such as this - trying to outdo one another before things have been properly tested - which is a great shame...

Those that are sensible will ignore these releases and instead focus on the responsible adults writing and testing code that are following correct testing procedures...

DimensionT
April 17th, 2008, 09:57
willy-waving

:rofl:

You're right though, there really isn't much point in releasing these other then the "look what I can do" aspect. What's the point of releasing somthing, and not caring what effect it might have on peoples' Wiis? Publicity.

Booting TP isn't that hard... Just wait it out people.

cebrian
April 17th, 2008, 10:06
just for the record, the guy is testing every iso in his own wii, so dont start bad mouthing him like that without knowing the facts. Its obvious that he has no control of the variables of every wii or different mod chips and the like, but he is testing and he has not released anything that didnt work on his own wii through installing it.

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 17th, 2008, 14:01
Am I reading that you want me to add a "README" in every release that no one will read?
If you know how to read spanish, you will have seen over at ElOtroLado that I alert about bricks, and I don't make myself responsible for any damages. It's all up to the end user.

Something else that makes me mad: Team Twiizers and Waninkoko have made channels, and they are GODS. I make one, and I'm NOTHING. ¿What's wrong with you people?

tehnoir
April 17th, 2008, 15:51
just for the record, the guy is testing every iso in his own wii, so dont start bad mouthing him like that without knowing the facts.

Of course it's not possible to know every possible situation that may arise, but trying an application once and going "well that worked just fine!" isn't very extensive testing.

And Jay, honestly, the answer to your question is simply that I don't trust your work yet. Notice I said yet meaning that I certainly hope you continue to code and I look forward to seeing more things from you in the future. It's just that at this point, my personal opinion is that it has been a little reckless and you seem to be more intentioned with getting fame out of this than actually contributing to the community. Team Twiizers has done a lot of work...a lot.

DimensionT
April 17th, 2008, 19:06
Team Twiizers and Waninkoko have made channels, and they are GODS. I make one, and I'm NOTHING. ¿What's wrong with you people?

*They had the decency to protect their end users with a time limit, you removed the time limit.

*They are the one that actually put the work into making the channels possible, you just got some info and made some hack jobs.

*They express concern for the well being of the community, I have yet to see you give a rat's ass.

Fact is, you don't care about having respect for the scene. You showed me this when you said "They might not like it, but there's nothing they can do about it".

What's wrong with us, is that we DO have respect. Just not for you. Show a little and you might get a little.

Capt_Trips
April 17th, 2008, 21:44
First, Jay_Paradox is right: All coders everywhere deserve props.

Second, Why is everyone so tight lipped about how they are doing these things on the wii? Hoping for a bleem style nintendo buyout before you become liable to lawsuits?

Third, What is the Twilight hack doing to the memory inside: How is this thing working? Does IOS have a CLI's and stuff?

Fourth, is the concern about the Homebrew channel that it might screw up the operating system in fufture updates, or blow out memory?

Fifth, Coders are responsible for their code: Team Twiizers are the ones who stand to lose, so everyone back off of them and back them up!

Last, Stop worrying about evil Big Brother Nintendo: If they keep acting like this, I'll sell my kids wii and never buy Nintendo again. The Buck stops here.

I remember a time when Ma Bell and At&t owned all the phones: how is nintendo's position on the wii different?

P.S. What is bricking? Can nintendo blow out sectors of my harddrive?

DimensionT
April 17th, 2008, 22:41
First, Jay_Paradox is right: All coders everywhere deserve props.

I gave him credit for making his own channel. It's just that now is not the right time for this shit... But he doesn't care. He'd much rather put this stuff out now, then wait until he knows what going to happen.

It's just stupid.

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 18th, 2008, 01:33
You really think I don't know what I'm playing with?
You really think I'm just a guy with the correct tools and just starts making channels like mad?
You really think I'm not scared every time I test something?

Please go to the ElOtroLado forums and see what I've been up to. RIN Channel(GB/GBC Emulator) and SNES Channel with FrontSD Saving are just an example.
I've got the MFE Multimedia Player Channel ready, and please don't say that wouldn't be useful.

I think BIG problem that you have never liked me, and just say bad things about everything I do. Have you even tried these channels?
Untill you do, please don't post anything in a thread made by me, thanks.

markl187ld
April 18th, 2008, 01:38
Your efforts are appreciated but you can't blame people for being a bit sceptical of files randomly posted on a forum. I'm not saying your software is useless, quite the contrary, I just think getting it on wiibrew.org or somewhere similar would be a better place to start.

Either way, once again, thanks for your effort.

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 18th, 2008, 01:42
Yeah, Wiibrew.org... they ate anything from ElOtroLado, so I don't think there much to do there.....

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 01:43
Dude... I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing. You know how to make channels... Good, great, dandy. That doesn't mean you know what's going to happen in the long run. You have no clue, NO ONE DOES!!! These things should be kept under wraps until we know what could happen.

You're right, I don't like you. Mainly because of you're attitude and lack of emotion towards what you're potentially unleashing unto the scene, and because of the morals you hold within the scene it's self.... But that has nothing to do with it. Even if you were my best friend, I would be telling you the same thing.

These should not be released! That is, until there's an understanding of the possibilites.

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 18th, 2008, 01:48
Well, I don't think Team Twiizers think the same, because their 10min Homebrew Channel is exactly the same as mine are.
I'm sure you've gone to them and said the same things about their channel, haven't you? No, they are the great Team Twiizers, no one can say anything to them. (Sarcasm)

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 02:00
Why would they put the limit on there then? Don't say "because they didn't want people to think it was a bad channel". That's rubbish.

Even if that were true, wouldn't that make your channels "bad channels" too? Seeing as how they're exactly the same?

I doubt I'm gonna be able to, but I'm going to try and get in contact with Bushing... Just to see what he has to say.

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 18th, 2008, 02:08
I'm just trying to understand why you think MY channels are bad to be installed, when they are based on Team Twiizers origianl channel, which isn't bad to be installed.

I mean, what's different? The channel just loads a different DOL, that's it. It leaves the same data in the Wii once removed, and is as bad as their channel.

PD: This is just a video... Imagine if I would have posted the links to the ISO's?? Maybe I would have been banned from here.

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 02:32
I've said before that I've yet to touch those channels as well. I didn't even comment in that thread, because I decided to wait and see what would happen. Then your thread came along, and I felt the need to tell people to be weary.

If thier channel were released today, I would be saying the same things to them. Just not in such an angry manner.

I'll admit that if I didn't feel the way I do about you, my arguements would be more civil... But they would still hold the same points.

tehnoir
April 18th, 2008, 03:01
Second, Why is everyone so tight lipped about how they are doing these things on the wii? Hoping for a bleem style nintendo buyout before you become liable to lawsuits?

If Nintendo knows what the holes are that allow for the exploits, it's a lot easier for them to close them. Team Twiizers has kept a lot under wraps to give them time to do as much as they can and do find other possible holes in the event that one or more of the exploits is rendered useless.

Last, Stop worrying about evil Big Brother Nintendo: If they keep acting like this, I'll sell my kids wii and never buy Nintendo again. The Buck stops here.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

I remember a time when Ma Bell and At&t owned all the phones: how is nintendo's position on the wii different?

Um...it's much different. When Ma Bell owned all the phones, you had to pay to lease one that you could use in your house. Ma Bell was eventually broken up because it had a monopoly. When you buy a Wii, the Wii is now yours. Also, Nintendo is far from having a monopoly on the gaming market. I don't know how to make it any simpler than that.

P.S. What is bricking? Can nintendo blow out sectors of my harddrive?
Blow out sectors of your hard drive? I'm tempted to say "yes" and leave it at that. Bricking is what happens when you mod your Wii and something goes wrong (you did something wrong, new firmware gets released, etc.) and your Wii will be completely worthless. It will be a brick.

sleekgeek
April 18th, 2008, 09:58
Dude... I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing. You know how to make channels... Good, great, dandy. That doesn't mean you know what's going to happen in the long run. You have no clue, NO ONE DOES!!! These things should be kept under wraps until we know what could happen.

These should not be released! That is, until there's an understanding of the possibilities.

you're making yourself look like one of those conspiracy theorist nut jobs.

you're scared of the future? it installs a channel of your choosing. It's not a trojan horse. the channel isn't going to explode your wii down the road when you least expect it! :rofl:

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 10:02
I'd much rather have a Wii that works two years from now then save my self one minute and 2 steps in Zelda.

Forgive me for thinking things out.

Panini
April 18th, 2008, 10:26

you're scared of the future? it installs a channel of your choosing. It's not a trojan horse. the channel isn't going to explode your wii down the road when you least expect it! :rofl:

I agree. lol

Seriously DimensionT chill the **** out! :rofl:

I know your heart is in the right place but enough is enough. People know the risks of doing anything on their machines that the manufactures didn't intend for you to do on them.

I personally respect all these guys who are bringing us the latest updates, breakthoughs and new discoveries etc for wii homebrew.

Keep it it up guys... we're all (well most of us anyway lol) lovin your work! :thumbup:

vicious1988
April 18th, 2008, 10:34
I'm w/ DT on this one. Fact of the matter is, no one knows what will happen. I give it a 65/35 chance that nothing will happen when IOS37 is released. As for a patch further down the road, depends on the variables. If any homebrew to boot ISOs were to be released then everything will go to hell w/i a week.

I'll wait to see the "official" channels.

h2923j42n2
April 18th, 2008, 10:45

Just curious, but do you know why this channel works? Do you know why it is different than official Nintendo channels? Do you know what IOS37 is? If you don't, you can read about it here (http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37).

Honestly, I think you will probably be safe as long as you delete the channel off the Wii before updating to a newer firmware, but I'll wait until the original coders have more of a chance to test various things with IOS37, before I install any of this.

Unless Team Twiizers have misread something on IOS37 (I seriously doubt that), one of two things can happen if you update to a firmware activating IOS37, while having that channel on:

1. The channel will simply not load, and you will be able to easily go into the Wii Settings and delete it off.

2. The installed Homebrew Channel could cause a conflict with the Wii/IOS37/etc., causing it to essentially "brick".

Hopefully, the first thing would be what would happen, but it is possible that the channel could cause it to brick, despite it apparently working fine right now. Also, contrary to what some believe, there are people who don't know what they are doing when installing things like this. If the second possibility were to happen, someone would end up with a bricked Wii.

linkinworm
April 18th, 2008, 11:48
just release it, if people dont want to install it then they dont have to, but it it breaks peeps wiis, your not responsible because its homebrew, and theres always a risk

owdeuk
April 18th, 2008, 13:29
I'd much rather have a Wii that works two years from now then save my self one minute and 2 steps in Zelda.

Forgive me for thinking things out.

Don't install it then and don't whine at releasers just because they don't abide by your, or teh scene's rules.

Ignore him Jay_PaRaDoX, and keep coding away. Don't let heavily biased individuals stifle peoples coding abilities.

Nobody know's what will happen down the line, and that includes TT.

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 19:40
I highly doubt you guys are going to feel the same way once your Wiis get bricked. Even if you're saying "It's my fault if it happens, because I installed it", you're still gonna be on here bitching and crying when it happens. It's not physicly going to be Jay_PaRaDoX's fault, but how many people do you think are going to care? They're all going to tear into him. Following my advice would be the best thing for him to do.

None of you guys are even thinking about it. You just want you homebrew (which your join dates and post counts say you're just leeching), and you want it now.

Think about what would happen if just 30% of Wiis got bricked because of something related to these channel. That'd amount to at least 100s, possibly 1,000s of people going ape shit. Why is this a good thing?

I know most of you just want your homebrew, so think of it this way. What's going to happen to releases when 100s/1,000s of Wiis get bricked? It's going to slow down drasticly. Same thing happened with the PSP when the new motherboards came out. That bricked your PSP when you tried to install custom firmware.

@Jay_PaRaDoX:
Whatever, man. Do what you want. Just include a warning in the ReadMes, and say what might happen in big bold letters at the begining of your thread. It's bullshit to have a chance of bricking a Wii just because you're misinformed by the person that wrote the homebrew.

If you don't, I will... Because I at least somewhat care about the end users.

tehnoir
April 18th, 2008, 19:53
Actually, I'd just like to have a read me for the sake of having one. Call me lazy or unorganized, but after I accumulate enough homebrew apps on my computer, I like to have a readme in each folder in case I forget what it was for, how to install it or if it's the latest version. That's just my thought.

sleekgeek
April 19th, 2008, 01:57
Just curious, but do you know why this channel works? Do you know why it is different than official Nintendo channels? Do you know what IOS37 is? If you don't, you can read about it here (http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37).

Honestly, I think you will probably be safe as long as you delete the channel off the Wii before updating to a newer firmware, but I'll wait until the original coders have more of a chance to test various things with IOS37, before I install any of this.

Unless Team Twiizers have misread something on IOS37 (I seriously doubt that), one of two things can happen if you update to a firmware activating IOS37, while having that channel on:

1. The channel will simply not load, and you will be able to easily go into the Wii Settings and delete it off.

2. The installed Homebrew Channel could cause a conflict with the Wii/IOS37/etc., causing it to essentially "brick".

Hopefully, the first thing would be what would happen, but it is possible that the channel could cause it to brick, despite it apparently working fine right now. Also, contrary to what some believe, there are people who don't know what they are doing when installing things like this. If the second possibility were to happen, someone would end up with a bricked Wii.

Yes, yes, and yes. here's the deal and I don't know why everyone is denying it. Nintendo will patch anything that allows unauthorized software on the Wii. This includes ALL homebrew. You need to pay a licensing fee to please them. This protects Nintendo and their investors. They've been working on blocking you out since the Twilight hack was made public.

You want homebrew you don't update. Plain and simple. If someone if going to blame anyone for ruining homebrew on the system then they need to realize Nintendo wasn't cool with it from the beginning.

Worse comes to worse is that if a official update bricks your system then Nintendo will have to fix it for free or there will be lawsuits.

DimensionT
April 19th, 2008, 02:42
There's no way for them to patch homebrew completely... The Twilight had is disc based. The only way to get around that is to re-release the game.

sleekgeek
April 19th, 2008, 13:02
They could release an update that scans the save file and deletes it among many other solutions.

stop parroting other lamers on the forums.

The other day I saw the alpha of a USB ISO loader so the sh!t is about to hit the fan.

kingslime80
April 19th, 2008, 17:44
Way to give them ideas, Sleekgeek. lol

DimensionT
April 19th, 2008, 18:34
stop parroting other lamers on the forums.

Wow, you're a douche bag.

Your theory would not work.

Q:
How would they do it?
A:
By scanning the contents of the saves and comparing them to the Twilight hack.

Q:
Why wouldn't this work?
A:
Because all that would need to be done is change one thing (ANY one thing) to get it to work again. One different character in the name, one less quater of heart, a different location etc...

h2923j42n2
April 19th, 2008, 21:42
Yes, yes, and yes. here's the deal and I don't know why everyone is denying it. Nintendo will patch anything that allows unauthorized software on the Wii. This includes ALL homebrew. You need to pay a licensing fee to please them. This protects Nintendo and their investors. They've been working on blocking you out since the Twilight hack was made public.

You want homebrew you don't update. Plain and simple. If someone if going to blame anyone for ruining homebrew on the system then they need to realize Nintendo wasn't cool with it from the beginning.

Worse comes to worse is that if a official update bricks your system then Nintendo will have to fix it for free or there will be lawsuits.

Yeah, I know not to update now. I made the mistake of updating to 3.0U right away, which blocked the SD Media Launcher I was planning to buy. The last update I did was from Super Mario Galaxy, and it will stay that way for as long as possible. Anyway, all I am saying is that there is going to be people who don't know that they should remove that channel before updating, and if that update were to brick Wii's with that channel on, that's what is going to happen to them. Nintendo is not to intentionally brick any Wii that has these channels installed, but they are also not going to go out of their way to make sure these unofficial channels don't cause any problems. As these channels more than likely void any warranty, Nintendo would probably charge you in order to have the Wii fixed.

Regarding the Twilight Hack, I suppose it may be possible to issue a firmware update that checks any Zelda save file, and makes sure that Link and Epona's name are not corrupted. If it's possible, it might not be worth it, however, as Bushing said in an interview that any game that uses a similar name system could probably be exploited in a similar way. They might not do anything if they knew that another game was more than likely going to be exploited a few days after the issued update.

sleekgeek
April 19th, 2008, 22:32
Wow, you're a douche bag.

Your theory would not work.

Q:
How would they do it?
A:
By scanning the contents of the saves and comparing them to the Twilight hack.

Q:
Why wouldn't this work?
A:
Because all that would need to be done is change one thing (ANY one thing) to get it to work again. One different character in the name, one less quater of heart, a different location etc...

LOL your mind works like that of a downey child yet I'm a d-bag.

one character will throw them off? bwahahaha tell that to Symantec.

DimensionT
April 19th, 2008, 23:12
LOL your mind works like that of a downey child yet I'm a d-bag.

one character will throw them off? bwahahaha tell that to Symantec.

Do you not know how save data works? If Nintendo doesn't make it look for a perfect match, then there's the risk of deleting perfectly legit save games. Changing one byte of the code would break this

And yes, you are a douche bag. You came on here posting personal attacks towards me, thinking that your opinion is somehow more valid then everyone else's around here... With no proof to back you up.

Sounds like the definition of douche bag to me.

Cloudhunter
April 20th, 2008, 00:04

If you look at the IOS37 page, then it won't brick. He tested it, and it works fine.

Cloudy

sleekgeek
April 20th, 2008, 02:39
Do you not know how save data works?

obviously you don't

And yes, you are a douche bag. You came on here posting personal attacks towards me, thinking that your opinion is somehow more valid then everyone else's around here... With no proof to back you up.

Sounds like the definition of douche bag to me.

POS hypocrite

vicious1988
April 20th, 2008, 03:05
*Silently watches argument slowly work towards a thread closure*

DimensionT
April 20th, 2008, 04:58
When have I ever resulted to calling Jay names? Nothing I've said to him has been based on anything but truth

All I said is that the Twilight hack could not be patched, and you came out talking shit... Making yourself seem like you're so much better then everyone here. It just didn't hold any merit.

Fran89
April 20th, 2008, 06:07
I'm with DT on this one, a lot of things can go wrong.

tehnoir
April 20th, 2008, 06:14
I'm with taking personal grudges and arguments to PM if it's not adding any real content to the discussion of these releases.

kingslime80
April 20th, 2008, 08:39
How can I check which IOS my system is using?

DimensionT
April 20th, 2008, 09:00
My guess is that they find out by checking out what's written in one of the boot flashes. Your best bet is to probably compare your firmware with someone who knows what IOS they're on.

h2923j42n2
April 20th, 2008, 09:55
How can I check which IOS my system is using?

I believe that Bushing's Title Lister shows every IOS version that is installed on your Wii. I believe that the highest IOS activated right now is IOS36, so it would probably be somewhere around there.

tehnoir
April 20th, 2008, 12:23
Yup. Try using title lister.

Sonicboy 101
April 20th, 2008, 12:31
*Silently watches argument slowly work towards a thread closure*

I don't think it's gonna happen any time soon. Mods are slow here :/

Jay_PaRaDoX
April 21st, 2008, 02:51
New channels coming soon, so get ready DimensionT to start saying things to me like you always do :P

Capt_Trips
April 21st, 2008, 06:25
Nice, we know how to install channels: On to the next in an endless series of tasks.

If Nintendo is going to try to brick everybody's wiis, When will the scene be implementing their own "Nintento-Free" drivers, just circumventing Nintendo all together?

Any hopes for a FreeIOS one day? I mean just totally cut Nintendo out of the picture.

What is next? What is possible?

Unlike some, I am not so worried about what is going on in the wii scene. I am pleased and grateful for what all the programmers have been doing.

cohag
August 11th, 2008, 09:34
Hi can you please let us know how I can make a wii channel from a .dol file?

Thanks