PDA

View Full Version : "5 min install" for PS3 GTA IV

Shrygue
April 17th, 2008, 22:37
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187154)

If you're looking for something to moan about this morning, here it is; the PlayStation 3 version of GTA IV features a five minute mandatory install.

A 1UP writer posted about the install on the NeoGAF forum, after playing the PS3 version at Rockstar's iron fortress.

Five minutes isn't nearly as bad as 22, but it's still been enough to send the internet barmy on the forums. We can't see what the fuss is about, personally. Doesn't every PS3 game feature an install these days?

As for the Xbox 360 version, there are also rumours this morning that that version will feature an "optional" hard drive install, although that's still very much unconfirmed.

We're currently awaiting reply from the lovely chaps at Rockstar about the hard drive controversy, and will let you know what it has to say.

Triv1um
April 17th, 2008, 23:22
Well they can add a mandatory install for XBOX because people could be playing on a the XBOX with no HDD.

Its a advantage. Its only 5 mins.

JKKDARK
April 17th, 2008, 23:27
wow 5 minutes? What a waste of time..

Napalm-Death
April 18th, 2008, 00:01
5 minutes?! I'm going to kill myself!!

**1_Man_Matrix**
April 18th, 2008, 00:54
Lol, what they should have stated, was the differences in general load times between PS3 and 360 AFTER the PS3 install...

People might moan less then...

Triv1um
April 18th, 2008, 00:56
Lol, what they should have stated, was the differences in general load times between PS3 and 360 AFTER the PS3 install...

People might moan less then...

Yeah, because the odds are you will save more than 5 mins from the hopefully faster loading times after a while.

So all is good.

Eviltaco64
April 18th, 2008, 01:08
Youll probably get the red rings before it finally loads on the 360 xD

Ultima Chocochu
April 18th, 2008, 01:59
5 mins? Seriously I could care less, if I get the game I'll just be happy I have it XD

I'll probably just look through the manual while waiting, GTA always had a nice manual to read through, was pretty funny actually.

DPyro
April 18th, 2008, 02:07
In a game like GTA I'd rather have it loading from the HDD.

Shrygue
April 18th, 2008, 23:46
Pweah, 5 minutes for an initial hard drive install is nothing. As long as I'm able to play the game, it does not matter and if it speeds up loading times, so much the better.

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 00:11
Yeah, 5 minutes is really nothing.

Napalm-Death
April 19th, 2008, 00:32
You're wrong; it's the end of the world!!

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2008, 01:45
That's why I don't want to buy a PS3. I already have a PC for installing games :cool:

DPyro
April 19th, 2008, 02:02
There's a huge difference between the two, ones guaranteed to play the games and one takes longer to install.

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 02:05
That's why I don't want to buy a PS3. I already have a PC for installing games :cool:

You'll make up for those 5 minutes spent installing it while playing the 360 version. It will obviously have longer load times.

wolfpack
April 19th, 2008, 02:48
a lot of people seem bitchy about a 5 minute install... big freaking deal

i have a 360, and im not any fanboy, i like to explore every system out there and enjoy the experiences each have.

By the sound of this, a 5 minute install would be fine because it would most likely load faster compared to the 360 version unless if the 360 version gets an optional installer to it.

personally id rather have a ps3 version rather than a 360 version just because of the better graphics and it feels better playing grand theft auto games with a playstation controller because thats the kinda controller im so used to using when playing gta.

lmtlmt
April 19th, 2008, 02:48
load times between islands(or whatever) in the 360 version, none in the ps3 version :p

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2008, 03:00
personally id rather have a ps3 version rather than a 360 version just because of the better graphics and it feels better playing grand theft auto games with a playstation controller because thats the kinda controller im so used to using when playing gta.
And you will miss the two exclusive expansions from the 360 version.

DPyro
April 19th, 2008, 03:11
PS3 will have DLC too, so unless your buying both your gonna miss something.

lmtlmt
April 19th, 2008, 03:51
And you will miss the two exclusive expansions from the 360 version.

the "2 episodic contents" are probably just 1 mission each, lol :rofl:

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2008, 03:57
the "2 episodic contents" are probably just 1 mission each, lol :rofl:

Nice speculation, my friend. But I will wait for official news.

F9zDark
April 19th, 2008, 04:18
I don't see what they are complaining about. All it really proves is that Microshit is stupid for being so half-assed with their products. Why? Lets see:

-PS3, everyone can (or rather should) install to the HDD. Why is that? because everyone who owns a PS3 has an HDD.

-360 the "Core" unit didn't have an HDD, nor the option to upgrade later from what I heard. So developers MUST make a product to meet the lowest common denominator (Xbox360s without an HDD), therefore the game must have an optional install, or none at all.

Glad I own a PS3; at least Sony looks towards the future, rather than "well we'll just make another console and force everyone to buy that if you want to keep playing our games."

Napalm-Death
April 19th, 2008, 15:36
I don't see what they are complaining about. All it really proves is that Microshit is stupid for being so half-assed with their products. Why? Lets see:

-PS3, everyone can (or rather should) install to the HDD. Why is that? because everyone who owns a PS3 has an HDD.

-360 the "Core" unit didn't have an HDD, nor the option to upgrade later from what I heard. So developers MUST make a product to meet the lowest common denominator (Xbox360s without an HDD), therefore the game must have an optional install, or none at all.

Glad I own a PS3; at least Sony looks towards the future, rather than "well we'll just make another console and force everyone to buy that if you want to keep playing our games."

Thank you, those were my thoughts exactly. People just keep ragging on the PS3's install times without thinking about why their version never has mandated installs.

It annoys me, really it does, to see people just complain and look at the PS3 versions of games as a piece of trash due to a one-time install that IMPROVES the game's performance.

Ultima Chocochu
April 19th, 2008, 17:10
Amen to that, people just love to complain.

Sonicboy 101
April 19th, 2008, 17:46
I couldn't care less if there was an install or not. As long as there is the game to play, I'm happy.