PDA

View Full Version : March Wii sales top 720,000 in US

Shrygue
April 18th, 2008, 22:38
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=132991)

Nintendo managed to sell a whopping 720,000 Wii consoles in the US last month.

Sales were boosted by the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 2.7 million copies were sold in March, three times as many as the game's nearest competitor.

According to NPD data Nintendo's name was on 58 per cent of all hardware sold across the US, with the DS shifting 698,000 units.

The Mario-maker expects the momentum to continue, too; Nintendo of America pointed to upcoming releases of Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii as potential gold mines.

Further down and there was just 5000 units difference between Xbox 360 and PS3 figures. Microsoft landed on top with 262,000 sales and Sony was just behind with 257,000.

Sony also managed to dish out 297,000 PSP handhelds during the month, plus 216,000 PS2 consoles.

In the software stakes, Xbox 360 versions of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and Army of Two took second and third place respectively.

Wii Play kept up its phenomenal record to hold onto four, while PSP releases God of War: Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII took five and six respectively.

From there it was Guitar Hero III on Wii at seven, followed by Xbox 360 versions of MLB 2K8 and Call of Duty 4.

Army of Two on PS3 rounded out the chart at 10.

Hardware:

Wii - 720,000
DS - 698,000
PSP - 297,000
Xbox 360 - 262,000
PS3 - 257,000
PS2 - 216,000

Software:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) 2,700,000
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (360) 752,300
Army of Two (360) 606,100
Wii Play (Wii) 409,800
God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) 340,500
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) 301,600
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) 264,100
MLB 2K8 (360) 237,100
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360) 237,000
Army of Two (PS3) 224,900

Shadowblind
April 18th, 2008, 22:53
This is real tense in the nextgen wars scene. The 360 is leading overall sales against the PS3 by 9 mil, but the close numbers just make the next week think "Who just outsold?"

Lolz. The difference is even less then 10k each week. The only sad(annoying) part is knowing that it really doesn't matter...the Wii outsold all. :o

(It wouldn't be so annoying if half the stuff put out for the Wii wasn't pure ****.)

mcdougall57
April 18th, 2008, 23:19
(It wouldn't be so annoying if half the stuff put out for the Wii wasn't pure ****.)

yeah i own a wii and im fed up of the worst 3rd party titles ever that come with "waggle"

JKKDARK
April 18th, 2008, 23:24
wow the Wii and the DS kicked ass so badly. And good for PS3, finally they sold more than the PS2 :p

Mini Moose
April 19th, 2008, 02:11
Heh, I bought a Wii just because Brawl came out. XD

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 02:16
wow the Wii and the DS kicked ass so badly. And good for PS3, finally they sold more than the PS2 :p

It almost outsold 360 as well.
And PSP also outsold 360 (and has been neck to neck with DS in Japan)

Joe88
April 19th, 2008, 04:43
it was because of smash bros. which was a disappointment anyway

sappo
April 19th, 2008, 13:06
Wii for the Wiin! :D

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 14:28
it was because of smash bros. which was a disappointment anyway

Seriousy? Where you expecting it to make you breakfast in the mornings too lol? That game is amazing! What didnt you like about it?

PlagueMusic
April 19th, 2008, 15:46
add one more sale if you tell me where to find one :P

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2008, 15:48
It almost outsold 360 as well.
Sorry, it didn't :p

And PSP also outsold 360 (and has been neck to neck with DS in Japan)
Yes, but the topic is about the US sales.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 15:52
Sorry, it didn't :p

Yes, but the topic is about the US sales.

Of course PSP and DS outsold the 360. they're handhelds. They sell more. it also outsold the PS3. Fancy that...

DarthPaul
April 19th, 2008, 16:22
Isn't this obvious?

Why the Wii sells so much?

The parents are the money makers here. Not the kids, and the parents buy the cheapest option. And of course, the most convenient for their sons. And when they're gonna buy that, they don't care about the games, if they suck or not. I've seen this a lot at Wal-Mart and GameStop, mindless parents head to the stores asking what's best for kids. And that's what they get.

The kids wouldn't care if they had a complete media player, powerful, social machine, like a PS3, or 360. They just wanna play, that's it.

It's been stated so many times that it pisses me off. The PS3, 360, and Wii aren't in the same league. It's like saying "The GameBoy sold more than a Walk-man!". Microsoft and Sony aren't in the gaming scene anymore. They're many steps further.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 16:32
Isn't this obvious?

Why the Wii sells so much?

The parents are the money makers here. Not the kids, and the parents buy the cheapest option. And of course, the most convenient for their sons. And when they're gonna buy that, they don't care about the games, if they suck or not. I've seen this a lot at Wal-Mart and GameStop, mindless parents head to the stores asking what's best for kids. And that's what they get.

The kids wouldn't care if they had a complete media player, powerful, social machine, like a PS3, or 360. They just wanna play, that's it.

It's been stated so many times that it pisses me off. The PS3, 360, and Wii aren't in the same league. It's like saying "The GameBoy sold more than a Walk-man!". Microsoft and Sony aren't in the gaming scene anymore. They're many steps further.
I don't think anyone could have said it better. The parents think its "healthier" then PS3 and 360 too, due to Ninty advertisements...

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2008, 16:36
So these parents are the ones who buy the commercially successful Resdient Evil games for Wii?

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 16:48
So these parents are the ones who buy the commercially successful Resdient Evil games for Wii?

Thats where the hardcore gamers come in. There are some good (if not overdone and overrated) games on the Wii, like RE4(again) and TP(again). However, when I see games like "Carnival Games" getting top sales, I just get annoyed. You don't?

Come on, Brain training? Honestly how stupid?

Ziim
April 19th, 2008, 17:19
I sense Fanboi HATE in this thread...

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 17:47
Thats where the hardcore gamers come in. There are some good (if not overdone and overrated) games on the Wii, like RE4(again) and TP(again). However, when I see games like "Carnival Games" getting top sales, I just get annoyed. You don't?

Come on, Brain training? Honestly how stupid?

The brain training games are great. I know of a lot of people who are too busy being "hardcore" to play the simpler games.. Just because you're not killing stuff or because its educational doesnt mean its stupid.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 18:38
The brain training games are great. I know of a lot of people who are too busy being "hardcore" to play the simpler games.. Just because you're not killing stuff or because its educational doesnt mean its stupid.

Educational when i was two. Now its just dumb. I played it, its terrible. I do like how you don't deny that the parents buy the games and not the kids.

PS: I don't think two year olds can hold a wiimote right anyway.

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 18:51
Educational when i was two. Now its just dumb. I played it, its terrible. I do like how you don't deny that the parents buy the games and not the kids.

PS: I don't think two year olds can hold a wiimote right anyway.

Its brain training not learning. It improves your brains speed not how much you know.. Anyways are you seriously trying to go point for point on this? Its that big a deal to you that you need to point out everything I didnt mention? Sure kids dont buy the games.. Thats not really important is it? If you're trying to say that only kids have a Wii then I dont know what to tell you..

I am honestly so sick of having to defend the Wii.. Its stomping the rest but people like you just cant stop talking about how bad it is. About how its only winning because its cheap (like the 360?) or because parents like it. The fact is the Wii is the closest thing to what America and the world wanted in a system. Is it perfect? No! But it IS getting better. Things like Wiiware will help a ton to get the minigames out of the $50 price range and people are already getting sick of the crappy games.

If you have a problem with the Wii then keep it to you damn self because the 720,000 people who bought one last month dont care.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 20:15
Its brain training not learning. It improves your brains speed not how much you know.. Anyways are you seriously trying to go point for point on this? Its that big a deal to you that you need to point out everything I didnt mention? Sure kids dont buy the games.. Thats not really important is it? If you're trying to say that only kids have a Wii then I dont know what to tell you..

I am honestly so sick of having to defend the Wii.. Its stomping the rest but people like you just cant stop talking about how bad it is. About how its only winning because its cheap (like the 360?) or because parents like it. The fact is the Wii is the closest thing to what America and the world wanted in a system. Is it perfect? No! But it IS getting better. Things like Wiiware will help a ton to get the minigames out of the $50 price range and people are already getting sick of the crappy games.

If you have a problem with the Wii then keep it to you damn self because the 720,000 people who bought one last month dont care.
Nobody said the Wii sucks(and if they did, they need to get a clue.) But the games for it sucks, and Nintendo isn't releasing anything new or revolutionary EXCEPT the wii. I've always said games make the console. In fact, as a console, I very well may like the PS3 more then the 360, and the Wii best of all. Too bad they can't even make a decent online host to play SSBB on. (which was disapointing anyway)

Oh, and yes it does matter whether the kids or the parents buy the game. If my parents came home one day with brain training one day, I'd never play it unless they're watching.

If you want improved brain speed, why not play an actual GAME. Not an educational gimmick.

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 20:37
Nobody said the Wii sucks(and if they did, they need to get a clue.) But the games for it sucks, and Nintendo isn't releasing anything new or revolutionary EXCEPT the wii. I've always said games make the console. In fact, as a console, I very well may like the PS3 more then the 360, and the Wii best of all. Too bad they can't even make a decent online host to play SSBB on. (which was disapointing anyway)

Oh, and yes it does matter whether the kids or the parents buy the game. If my parents came home one day with brain training one day, I'd never play it unless they're watching.

If you want improved brain speed, why not play an actual GAME. Not an educational gimmick.

So your point was that parents buy the Wii for their kids as well as the games? So? Of course they do. They're kids.. Thats how that whole thing works.. Is your point that the bad judgment of the adults is fueling the making of crappy games for the Wii? If it is thats obviously a self resolving issue. When the parents see that the kids wont play the crappy games they'll start paying attention to what they buy. Developers are aware that they can't sell us garbage forever and its slowly starting to change.

Also go read any review of Brain Age or Big Brain Academy.

mcdougall57
April 19th, 2008, 21:01
its funny how a wii thread always ends up like this haha :)

i love my wii and nothing could change that and im pretty sure the 21 million other buyers love theirs too. BTW the new ssbb is ace.

Joe88
April 20th, 2008, 00:17
Seriousy? Where you expecting it to make you breakfast in the mornings too lol? That game is amazing! What didnt you like about it?

its was the exact same as the last SSB game for GCN except new characters...