PDA

View Full Version : Most Wii games "look like cr*p"

Shrygue
April 18th, 2008, 22:40
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=133156)

Developer High Voltage has attacked the mentality of developers making games for Wii, claiming most end products "don't even look as good as the latter day PS2 titles".

The comments came after High Voltage whipped the wrappers off its Wii project The Conduit - a first-person shooter boasting to be among the most technically advanced games on the console.

"We think it's a real shame that publishers and developers aren't taking advantage of the technical possibilities of the Wii platform. Most Wii games don't even look as good as the latter day PS2 titles and that's a real slap in the face to consumers," Kerry Ganofsky, boss of High Voltage, told IGN.

"We believe that third-party developers need to step up to the plate and deliver. The Wii platform is capable of a lot more than what consumers have seen so far. We're hoping to raise a new bar."

The Conduit is based around government conspiracies and is set in the aftermath of an alien attack on Washington. You, as Agent Ford, get drafted in to find out the truth, with plenty of brain-splatting to be done on the way.

High Voltage believes this kind of mature content is exactly what the Wii needs.

"There is this pervasive and cyclical argument that Wii consumers don't want mature titles, when there aren't those types of products available to them. And even more frustrating is the claim that Wii consumers only care about great gameplay," added Eric Nofsinger, creative boss on the game.

"Of course they care about gameplay, but we believe if given the choice, they would want great graphics as well. It's just a cop out. With Conduit, we are trying to make a Wii game that looks like a 360 title."

The Conduit will feature motion-sensing controls. They will be widely customisable in a similar fashion to Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 which, alongside Metroid Prime 3, happens to be a large source of inspiration for the game.

However, High Voltage is yet to attract a publisher for The Conduit, and no date has been set for release.

High Voltage was the developer behind the PSP version of 50 Cent: Bulletproof, and is enjoying chart success at the moment with Ben 10: Protector of Earth.

The Hombrew Hunter
April 18th, 2008, 22:47
Ben 10?

*throws up*

Big headed blaghs.

DPyro
April 18th, 2008, 23:03
Gamecube 1.5 FTW.

DimensionT
April 18th, 2008, 23:15
Commence flame wars!!!!

Watch the "The Conduit" tech demo video. It's pretty damned impressive.

JKKDARK
April 18th, 2008, 23:18
I don't care, because people care about gameplay over graphics.

vicious1988
April 18th, 2008, 23:27
If the game doesn't handle like a wet noodle then it might be good. The tech demo has some pretty water, which is the only graphical thing I care about, but it doesn't compare to the water in the background of Final Destination on SSBB.

I'm curious as to what the game's storyline and playtime is.

gamer4250
Gameplay over graphics always, yes, but it's just a bit annoying when the graphics are nearly 2 generations behind. The developers aren't even CARING about the graphics by the look of recent games. Can't we just have both?

DimensionT
I don't care, because people care about gameplay over graphics.

They do? I know I don't, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority.

Shadowblind
April 18th, 2008, 23:30
Gameplay over graphics always, yes, but it's just a bit annoying when the graphics are nearly 2 generations behind. The developers aren't even CARING about the graphics by the look of recent games. Can't we just have both?

if it truly was gameplay over graphics, the wii wouldn't be leading. Gimmick over graphics and gameplay is what is happening.

JKKDARK
April 18th, 2008, 23:34
They do? I know I don't, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority.

So do you love the Sega CD FMV-based games? Even over Sonic CD or the Lunar games? Just an example.

markl187ld
April 18th, 2008, 23:48
If Wii owners cared about graphics over gameplay the Virtual console wouldn't have sold 1.5 million in the first two months.

firedragon_jing
April 19th, 2008, 00:24
Thank You High Voltage for saying what has been on my mind for a while. I knew they were something special when I got to visit their company and meet their staff. Don't get me wrong, I love great gameplay as much as the next, but I do agree the Wii needs to be taken a bit more seriously, especially by 3rd parties. I'm tired of the Wii not being taken full advantage of in lieu of easier made casual games.

I know the Wii isn't about the graphics, but I would still like it to show off some of that oh so sweet eye candy. Not only that, but more mature themed titles for our Wiis. Wii deserve this, hopefully more 3rd parties will follow.

firedragon_jing
April 19th, 2008, 00:28
If Wii owners cared about graphics over gameplay the Virtual console wouldn't have sold 1.5 million in the first two months.That has nothing to do with graphics, thats for a love of the classics, nostalgic people like who love the games they grew up playing, or people who didn't have the chance to play the originals of their new games... and no I have never bout a single VC game.

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 00:34
Wii is winning because its fresh, new, fun and accessible. Please dont make this into a flame war over the Wii being a gimmick.. A gimmick that has been destroying every bit of competition for a year... Sure.. Gimmicks go away fast in my experience so why is the Wii still kicking the crap out of 360 and PS3?

I am really looking forward to seeing what these guys can do after seeing some screens and that demo of their engine. It is, indeed, very impressive.

Sure gameplay is more important for Wii owners but I am sick of that being the excuse for Wii games looking like crap. Devs are lazy. Step it up!

DimensionT
April 19th, 2008, 00:39
So do you love the Sega CD FMV-based games? Even over Sonic CD or the Lunar games? Just an example.

Wait, I meant I do... I think... I'd rather have good game play then graphics...

Those FMV games were rubbish. I'd take Sonic's graphics over those pixelated videos any day.

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 00:48
Graphics are my only thing against the Wii.
I mean it does feature a lot of new things, but modifying the Gekko (which is already a modded PowerPC G3) and making it suitable for a next-gen console by increasing the clock speed and doubling the ram automatically doesnt make it revolutionary as many fanboys say it is.

P.S. - Something just crossed my mind. Can you think of another gaming device that increased the clock speed by about 50% (through a software update) and doubled the amount of ram (through a hardware revision)? Then I hear it's next gen (of course in this instance it would be next gen without motion sensing)?

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 00:49
And those Sega CD FMV games were absolute shit.

dahun
April 19th, 2008, 00:59
im sry for thread hijiaking or spam but

i cannot get wii homebrew throught tp hack to work i posted more in the sticky.

could i please get some help?

phsychokill
April 19th, 2008, 01:07
the fact is the wii has good games they may not be the same graphics as the ps3 and xbox 360 but the games make it worth while. microsofts stand point was always that the wii only sold because of the price yet now you can pick up a 360 for less than a wii yet its sales are similar to that of a PS3 that costs nearly twice the price.

the fact is gameplay makes the game I have a wii and a ps3 yet my two fave games at the minuet is mario kart and brawl they are 2 games that altho they are new versions of old games they still have good game play that makes them fun and has changes that make it fresh and good to play. yet after playing games like GT5 and devil may cry on the ps3 they are no differant to the PS2 versions just a bit more shiny. I would rather have good game play and new ways to play that just a remake of a title for the previous console that add's nothing apart from a few extra shadows, flashes and reflections.

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 01:10
Graphics are my only thing against the Wii.
I mean it does feature a lot of new things, but modifying the Gekko (which is already a modded PowerPC G3) and making it suitable for a next-gen console by increasing the clock speed and doubling the ram automatically doesnt make it revolutionary as many fanboys say it is.

P.S. - Something just crossed my mind. Can you think of another gaming device that increased the clock speed by about 50% (through a software update) and doubled the amount of ram (through a hardware revision)? Then I hear it's next gen (of course in this instance it would be next gen without motion sensing)?

360 and PS3 are "next gen". They are extensions of a tried and true formula. Wii is first gen. It is the first iteration and can only be compared with PS3 and 360 as much as the DS and PSP can. PS3 and 360 can be literally set side by side and compared game for game because they are essentially the same whereas the Wii is a totally different device.

Instead of doing the same god forsaken thing again Nintendo decided to make something new. It worked with the DS and its working with the Wii. A lot of gamers are simply sick of playing essentially the same games in the same way. We've been doing it forever!

Sure a ton of people are buying it because of the remote. Thats the new part! If you bought it because of the graphics then you're an idiot. Sony and MS are handling the "lets do the same thing as before" part. Buy Wii because its different.

The sad part is that a ton of developers are cashing in on the newness and popularity of the Wii and making crapping quick games for a profit. However I see the tide turning in this because that just wont work forever and they know it. Developers like these guys are putting the others in the hot seat buy actually trying and I love it.

You can call the Wii a gimmick but the fact is its not going away..

firedragon_jing
April 19th, 2008, 01:24
Wii is winning because its fresh, new, fun and accessible. Please dont make this into a flame war over the Wii being a gimmick.. A gimmick that has been destroying every bit of competition for a year... Sure.. Gimmicks go away fast in my experience so why is the Wii still kicking the crap out of 360 and PS3?

I am really looking forward to seeing what these guys can do after seeing some screens and that demo of their engine. It is, indeed, very impressive.

Sure gameplay is more important for Wii owners but I am sick of that being the excuse for Wii games looking like crap. Devs are lazy. Step it up!Exactly, thank you...

When I first saw the Revolution, I was thinking just what the name implied, and while the equipment is there, I've barely seen anyone push the envelope.

Sadly, the most fun I've had on the Wii is still Twilight Princess, and that was a GCN game...

I want to see great gameplay, great use motion sensing controls, and great graphics... is that too hard to ask???

phsychokill
April 19th, 2008, 01:30
you also have to remeber after microsoft said no1 would want motion sensor gaming demod a 3 camera system to do motion capture but come on realy who would want to have 3 cameras round their room just to play a game? and now supposadly they are working on their own wii-mote style controller. atleast when sony decided to copy nintendo they did it before the wii was big but then sony are dropping the sixaxis for dual shock 3 anyway.

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 01:47
360 and PS3 are "next gen". They are extensions of a tried and true formula. Wii is first gen. It is the first iteration and can only be compared with PS3 and 360 as much as the DS and PSP can. PS3 and 360 can be literally set side by side and compared game for game because they are essentially the same whereas the Wii is a totally different device.

Instead of doing the same god forsaken thing again Nintendo decided to make something new. It worked with the DS and its working with the Wii. A lot of gamers are simply sick of playing essentially the same games in the same way. We've been doing it forever!

Sure a ton of people are buying it because of the remote. Thats the new part! If you bought it because of the graphics then you're an idiot. Sony and MS are handling the "lets do the same thing as before" part. Buy Wii because its different.

The sad part is that a ton of developers are cashing in on the newness and popularity of the Wii and making crapping quick games for a profit. However I see the tide turning in this because that just wont work forever and they know it. Developers like these guys are putting the others in the hot seat buy actually trying and I love it.

You can call the Wii a gimmick but the fact is its not going away..

No, the Wii is great. Im just saying that they shouldve at least tried to come up with something a little more different. I mean the Wii is practically a modified gamecube with motion sensing. But that's not a problem really. I mean the graphics are still GOOD, just not new.

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 02:00
No, the Wii is great. Im just saying that they shouldve at least tried to come up with something a little more different. I mean the Wii is practically a modified gamecube with motion sensing. But that's not a problem really. I mean the graphics are still GOOD, just not new.

If people would simply use the innovation in the Wii no one would question if its different enough to get past its visual shortcomings. We need more games like Boom Blox, Lost Winds, World of Goo, Samba De Amigo, and Wii Fit to go along with the Smash Bros and Mario Karts.

Oh and this screenshot of the Conduit looks interesting ;)
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/867/867498/the-conduit-20080417033651743-000.jpg
I dont know about you but thats good enough for me..

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 02:03
If people would simply use the innovation in the Wii no one would question if its different enough to get past its visual shortcomings. We need more games like Boom Blox, Lost Winds, World of Goo, Samba De Amigo, and Wii Fit to go along with the Smash Bros and Mario Karts.

Oh and this screenshot of the Conduit looks interesting ;)
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/867/867498/the-conduit-20080417033651743-000.jpg
I dont know about you but thats good enough for me..

Yeah, that looks very good for the Wii.
But I saw some clips of it and it looks kinda slow to me.
Another thing about it is that the Wii cant go much further if you ask me.
Nevertheless, Nintendo will end up making some amazing game late in the consoles lifespan that will push the console to its limits.

phsychokill
April 19th, 2008, 02:04
if you want to compair things the xbox 360 uses pc hardware and a modified version of windows meaning it is basicaly a pc with a locked online network since microsoft want to controle it. but then the ps3 is no differant realy the cell is the only bit that isnt modified pc hardware. but as stated above the wii cant be compaired to any other suposadly next gen pc as it is a totaly differant platform if you want to work it on generations starting with the ps1 it looks more like:
gen 1.0 ps1 and saturn
gen 1.1 n64
gen 1.2 ps2 and dreamcast
gen 1.3 game cube and xbox
gen 1.4 xbox 360 and ps3
gen 2.0 wii

as the simple fact is the playstation versions and xbox version are no differant to sticking a new cpu and graphics card in a pc were the wii is a totaly new system meaning it is the only one in the next generation as it changes the way it works instead of just keeping up with the abilities of pc's.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 02:04
Conduit, de Blob and ToS2 are the only appealing games to me at the moment. I couldn't stand Super Mario Galaxy..

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 02:10
Yeah, that looks very good for the Wii.
But I saw some clips of it and it looks kinda slow to me.
Another thing about it is that the Wii cant go much further if you ask me.
Nevertheless, Nintendo will end up making some amazing game late in the consoles lifespan that will push the console to its limits.

Theres no videos out for it to my knowledge.

How do you hate Mario Galaxy? You're in the major minority there lol.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 02:12
Theres no videos out for it to my knowledge.

How do you hate Mario Galaxy? You're in the major minority there lol.

I know, but I really can't find it that fun. Trust me, i tried, hard :(

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 02:12
if you want to compair things the xbox 360 uses pc hardware and a modified version of windows meaning it is basicaly a pc with a locked online network since microsoft want to controle it. but then the ps3 is no differant realy the cell is the only bit that isnt modified pc hardware. but as stated above the wii cant be compaired to any other suposadly next gen pc as it is a totaly differant platform if you want to work it on generations starting with the ps1 it looks more like:
gen 1.0 ps1 and saturn
gen 1.1 n64
gen 1.2 ps2 and dreamcast
gen 1.3 game cube and xbox
gen 1.4 xbox 360 and ps3
gen 2.0 wii

as the simple fact is the playstation versions and xbox version are no differant to sticking a new cpu and graphics card in a pc were the wii is a totaly new system meaning it is the only one in the next generation as it changes the way it works instead of just keeping up with the abilities of pc's.

Actually, The Wii is not at all a new system. In fact it's very similar to the Gamecube architecture. Just because it has motion sensing doesnt mean its entirely new...

And PS3 is in no way similar to a PC.
360 has more of a PC architecture, but still is different.

Once again let me say, dont let the Wiimote make Wii look even more advanced then the 360/PS3.

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 02:15
Actually, The Wii is not at all a new system. In fact it's very similar to the Gamecube architecture. Just because it has motion sensing doesnt mean its entirely new...

And PS3 is in no way similar to a PC.
360 has more of a PC architecture, but still is different.

Once again let me say, dont let the Wiimote make Wii look even more advanced then the 360/PS3.

We've all heard that the Wii is just a super gamecube with a wiimote. We know its not new hardware save the remotes but that doesnt mean its not knew. Its a knew direction and is the first of its generation. You just cant compare it to any console before it or classify it in an existing area. It gets its own spot.

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 02:17
We've all heard that the Wii is just a super gamecube with a wiimote. We know its not new hardware save the remotes but that doesnt mean its not knew. Its a knew direction and is the first of its generation. You just cant compare it to any console before it or classify it in an existing area. It gets its own spot.

I know.
360 and PS3 go in the better graphics spot.
Wii goes in the better gameplay spot.

But I was just saying the Wii isnt entirely new.
That's just fanboyism.

limming
April 19th, 2008, 02:32
This looks awesome! I just hope they can make the gameplay as appealing as the visuals. The Wii does need more games like this. I hate the stereotyping of the Wii being a "kiddie system".

Also, the makers of the new Star Wars game Force Unleashed are doing really cool things too. They are using crazy awesome AI and environment effect.

But yeah, I am definitely buying the Conduit.

firedragon_jing
April 19th, 2008, 02:33
Actually, the with the better gameplay aspect, it's not really that, it has a new gameplay ability, that has the potential to be better...

Lately though, none of the companies have been taking full advantage of it yet...

Graphics can enhance gameplay if done correctly, by giving quicker and fuller immersion... the motion sensing does the same but in a different way. If both were presented, it would be perfection...

phsychokill
April 19th, 2008, 03:15
the ps3 is in no way similar to a pc?
graphics card = modified Geforce 6
hard drive = 2.5inch laptop hard drive
ram = standard pc ram
lan = gigabit lan card (same as in most modern pc's)
blueray drive = its a stupid price but you can get the same drive from sony for pc

the only thing that makes the PS3 differant is the cell and the sony operating system but if that makes a system totaly differant I gues mac's and pc's are in no way similar as mac isnt windows and they made their own cpu's till intel started making them recently.

feddon
April 19th, 2008, 10:51
I think most people are missing the point, i dont believe the vast majority of wii games are better gameplay wise then anything else. Most are utter crap. I love good gameplay. Mario galaxy was awsome but if it looked like SM64 it wouldnt have had the same impact. The wii can do better graphics but isnt. Mario kart wii looks marginally better then double dash not like SMS to SMG which was a bigger jump. I think developers need to stop being lazy with the wiimotes not just graphics. Im kinda thinking now that the wiimotes just arnt good enough to do much else then steering or waggle, I honestly believe if one 2 one swordplay was possible SWFU would have done it. So if the remotes arent up to par then the lack of new exiting games will annoy us specially if the graphics are still GC like.

bah
April 19th, 2008, 13:55
The wii-mote has no gyro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gyroscope_operation.gif), that seems to be the main issue.

It can tell when you are moving it, and accurately point at things when it can see the 'sensor' bar, but if you swing it around wildly away from the screen then stop, it doesnt really know where it/your hand is.

I really like the wii, but I'd have liked it enough to buy one if it had comparable graphics power to the 360 and/or a more refined motion-sensing controller.

phsychokill
April 19th, 2008, 17:53
bah the sensor bar and montion sensor ar in noway linked it picks up the movement by a series of tilt switches and it can tell the orientation of the remote by the switches that ar tripped. if the remote relied on the sensor bar to get its orientation games like mario kart wouldnt work as you have your hand over the light gun part of the remote. the fact is the sensor bar is used for nothing more than ligh gun functions and nintendo has said sevral times there is no need to swing the remote about wild as a flick of the wrist gives the same response.

Triv1um
April 19th, 2008, 18:03
Wii goes in the better gameplay spot.

I disagree with this, in some cases it can be more fun yes.

But only fun as in a novelty factor (not that, thats a bad thing!)

The gameplay of a game, entirely depends on the game. Not the console.

____anders____
April 19th, 2008, 18:17
Commence flame wars!!!!

Watch the "The Conduit" tech demo video. It's pretty damned impressive.

yeah, that game reallt looks awesome, i'm gonna get it, probably the best graphics of a wii game i've seen so far.

ICE
April 19th, 2008, 18:53
I disagree with this, in some cases it can be more fun yes.

But only fun as in a novelty factor (not that, thats a bad thing!)

The gameplay of a game, entirely depends on the game. Not the console.

I think he was referring to potential. The Wii presents the potential to play games in a new way hopefully that translates into fun.

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2008, 22:21
Yes I was referring to potential ICE.

And psychokill, PS3 might contain PC hardware, but other than that, it's definitely different. The architecture/cell is what really makes it different. Why do you think you hear so many complaints about porting 360 games (which come from a platform with much more of a PC-based architecture) to PS3? If it were like a PC, games could be ported with a lot more ease.

bah
April 20th, 2008, 02:35
bah the sensor bar and montion sensor ar in noway linked it picks up the movement by a series of tilt switches and it can tell the orientation of the remote by the switches that ar tripped. if the remote relied on the sensor bar to get its orientation games like mario kart wouldnt work as you have your hand over the light gun part of the remote. the fact is the sensor bar is used for nothing more than ligh gun functions and nintendo has said sevral times there is no need to swing the remote about wild as a flick of the wrist gives the same response.

Yes, it picks up general motions, but the fact it needs the sensor bar/camera in the remote shows that the motion sensing component is not accurate enough to allow it to be used as a pointing device.
I get the impression this is due to the fact it can pick up motion fairly well, but if it is flung around wildly then stopped, it does not seem to know its orientation in relation to the tv screen (unless it can see the 'sensor' bar meaning its pointed towards the TV). There are many other directions that precision would be nice in

I was saying that If the wii-mote had a gyro, perhaps it would have been a lot more useful in allowing developers to make the actions on screen directly relate to the action of your hand, rather than the so-so correlation between the 2 shown in current games.