PDA

View Full Version : The DS Striking Back ?

wraggster
September 13th, 2005, 07:48
In Japan the DS is selling more than the PSP and PS2 combined and it seems the Homebrew and Emulation scene is kicking ass too, just in the last fortnight or so theres been Colecovision, Vectrex and even a wip of a Commodore 64 emulator plus the first Star Wars homebrew game for the DS, Check out our sister site http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/ which has all the news and links to the new releases.

The battle of the PSP and DS marches on

leggy
September 13th, 2005, 09:43
Good luck to them!

Some people like the DS, some like the PSP. It doesn't really matter to me which one sells the most as long as the one I chose produces the goods for me.

Too many fanboys in this world :D

Tron_Fan
September 13th, 2005, 16:14
I know the DS just dropped in price over here in the US. Did it also do so in Japan?

pkmusicmaker
September 13th, 2005, 17:50
I really don't get how the DS can compete. The PSP is just so much better on so many levels. Oh well.

samui_samu
September 13th, 2005, 18:18
This might sound crazy to some people, but its not always about the graphics and cpu power. For some people its about the story, gameplay, character development, replay value, and over all experience. And as far as gameplay goes, the gameplay system doesn't have to be intricate, just fun and practical. It is too early to tell how practical a touchpad is for gaming, but I am eager to find out how it will turn out.

To me it is not at all surprising to find out how well the Nintendo DS is doing. Many people have stressed how important it is to have third party support and right now neither the DS or the PSP is doing well in that aspect. Time will tell. And lets face it right now Japan has much more games for the DS, in genres unheard of anywhere else.

I own both, and to be honest the only play time my DS is getting right now is with my GBA games.

samui_samu
September 13th, 2005, 18:33
As far as emulation goes, i don't think the DS can truly compete. The fact is it much easier to run homebrew on the PSP. There are no carts involved, as well as having the equipment to flash those carts. To many, including me, a usb cable just seems so much easier and less expensive.

Of course with Sony so actively fighting the homebrew scene every step of the way, it leaves many people left out because they just didn't know better.

I also want to know if the prices have dropped in Japan for the DS.

Humbug
September 13th, 2005, 18:45
its all about the games but a big selling point is emulation for me so with the 1.52 or above not being cracked YET it is swinging me towards the DS

xuphorz
September 13th, 2005, 20:28
the ds is way less powerful than psp, so emulation ain't gonna be good on ds.

games and homebrew games, however, will probly be overall better, cause of the 2 screens and touch screen

Cirus
September 13th, 2005, 23:12
but the tiny ds screen cant complete with nice phat clear psp screen. i got ScummVM and Curse of monkey island at the ready for either downgrader or homebrew on v2.0 :(

xuphorz
September 13th, 2005, 23:21
either that or trade your 2.00 with someone who has a 1.50/1.00. just hope they only want the psp for umd reasons

bkdevart
September 14th, 2005, 05:12
I have a PSP and a DS, and my PSP gets used for two reasons: Wipeout or Lumines. Oh, and emulation now... so that's three. But the DS is much more fun for me. Advance Wars: DS (like all of the games before it) is amazingly deep... plenty of maps to play through and unlock, a map editor to make your own and trade, etc. And it uses the 2nd screen to handle secondary battles that effect the ground (bottom screen) battles. The PSP has a great screen, yes, but the DS has two... and as soon as some clever programers start using them for useful things, we'll see some amazing stuff. The Kirby game, despite being a Kirby game, is incomparable to any other platformer - accept Yoshi - both on the same system. Indirect control of the main character is an innovative idea, and it hasn't been done before. There's the built in mic, and with an online Mario Kart and Metriod Prime: Hunters, there's a lot to look forward to... plus the new Mario Bros, Mario and Luigi 2, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Animal Crossing, the new Lunar, Viewtiful Joe, Guilty Gear, Final Fantasy 3, Black and White, Resident Evil... it goes on. For the PSP? I'm looking forward to GTA. That's it. Sony's machine fails as a game machine because it's expensive and timely to develop for, and the medium it reads from (UMD) has slow access times. I refuse to crap and wait for a stage to load simultaneously.
I have no doubt it will survive as a portable media player, but so far the games are just dissapointing. Thankfully we have emu coders to pick up Sony's slack.

pkmusicmaker
September 14th, 2005, 08:11
It is true how important games are, however my post was only referring to emulation (although I didn't make that clear at all). As far as games go, I think gaming in general has gotten pretty boring. They haven't been making great games like they used to. It's gotten to the point where people ask how a game is and the response they get is "it's awesome, it's got great graphics!". It also seems like (especially on the PSP) almost every game coming out is a sequal, or a port. There hasn't been any real innovative, interesting, and fun to play games out. However, I am impressed by Nintendo's childish, yet still extremely fun games. I hope both Sony and Nintendo kick up their gears soon, and very hopefully by their next generations. I'm getting kind of tired of the hottest games being the newest editions of Madden NFL and Need For Speed. And as for Nintendo, although they can be fun, I'm getting tired of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Donkey Kong (Not to mention Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog). Please come up with something a little refreshing besides a new platform, and that goes for everyone.