View Full Version : Playstation vs N64 vs Saturn

Eviltaco64
April 20th, 2008, 19:53
Hello DCEmu, Eviltaco64 here again.
Today I ask you this:

What is your favorite out of these select 3 consoles:

http://www.gamewinners.com/n64/index.gif

NINTENDO 64
The most powerful of the generation. Although the most powerful, it had some limitations (like the use of cartridges) and a lot of developers had a hard time tapping out the power of the console (although some loyal companies such as Rareware rewrote this code and made some very graphically advanced games like Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark), however, it was also a technical landmark due to releases such as the Analog stick, Expansion Pak, and Rumble Pak.
This system has some of the best games to date and was also an amazing multiplayer console (due to being one of the first consoles to feature 4 controller ports and having short load times).
Released in 1996 (US and JAP) and 1997 (EUR).

http://www.gamewinners.com/playstation/index.gif

SONY PLAYSTATION
The most popular console of the generation.
This console revamped the industry for the good with AAA games like Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid.
In 1997, Sony released the Dual Analog Controller which featured more fluent controls. This controller was later modified and released as the DualShock in 1998.
This console was the 2nd most successful console ever and features a very large library of games.
(Released in 1994 (JAP) and 1995 (US and EUR)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Sega_saturn_blanche.jpg/800px-

SEGA SATURN
The most underrated console of the generation.
This console was originally designed as a 2D powerhouse. However, to keep up with the times, it was quickly modified to do some 3D as well.
The Saturn was released in Japan in November 1994, a few weeks before the Japanese release of the Sega 32X and in 1995 in the US and Europe.
The Saturn featured many Arcade ports, Capcom/SNK fighting games, and RPGs which along with Segata Sanshiro gave it success in Japan.
Over in the US, however, SoA had a policy that 2D games and RPGs would be unappealing to the US market. That along with the bizzare advertisements and promos made the saturn a failure.
The Saturn has many classic gems that still havent been ported to other consoles (e.g. Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Burning Rangers) and is also recommended for a fighting game fan (Street Fighter Zero 3 on the Saturn is still considered the BEST port of the game, even better than the Dreamcast one).

So what's your preference, Saturn, Playstation, or Nintendo 64?

Vote Now!

Malksta
April 20th, 2008, 20:00
Ooo, tough decision but it goes like this...

1 ) Playstation : Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Edge, Breath of Fire, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, what more could you want? =D

2) Nintendo 64 : MM and OoT, SM64, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini. Mario Kart, SSB.

3) Saturn : because it has my favourite beat'em up game ever, Guardian Heroes! Also, it has Panzer Dragoon which is love for me.

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2008, 20:01
I love the Sega Saturn. But the PlayStation had the best software.

Sonicboy 101
April 20th, 2008, 20:06
Playstation, it had many classics that I'll never forget. :)

ninja9393
April 20th, 2008, 20:21
n64

Paper Mario, Conker, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64 to name a few

Triv1um
April 20th, 2008, 21:42
SATURN.

Although it was a failure, it was a huge step for gaming.

The N64 sucks, PS1 was bloody amazing (and the one I played the most, because of saturns lack of games) but I love the saturn.

ninja9393
April 20th, 2008, 22:29
SATURN.

Although it was a failure, it was a huge step for gaming.

The N64 sucks, PS1 was bloody amazing (and the one I played the most, because of saturns lack of games) but I love the saturn.

Tell me how did the N64 suck?

dejkirkby
April 20th, 2008, 22:29
Saturn for me too.
Any system as old as that and still can't be emulated well deserves praise.

Triv1um
April 20th, 2008, 22:52
Tell me how did the N64 suck?

It is the worst Nintendo console to this day.

It used game cartridges, the pads where horrible, games sucked (Mario 64? Shit), way behind everything else.

ninja9393
April 20th, 2008, 23:23
It is the worst Nintendo console to this day.

It used game cartridges, the pads where horrible, games sucked (Mario 64? Shit), way behind everything else.

I totally Disagree, The Pads were good for the games, the console PERFECTED the FPS, It Made one of the most successful game franchises (SSB), It added Rumple, and Super Mario 64 is great and they are so many other great games, and well your games didnt scratch.

beetroot bertie
April 21st, 2008, 00:16
N64 for me, then PS1, then Saturn but this is also a more accurate list of how much time I spend with each too.

I've never owned any of them and I've spent no more than a couple of hours on a Saturn playing Virtua Fighter and Sega Rally (although I bet Radiant Silvergun might help change my mind - that's something I'd love to have a go on). The N64 had the most play by far (mostly Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing and a Snowboarding game - 1080˚ I think) and was probably the most innovative in respects to introducing good analogue control/rumble and the graphics were great at the time. Plus it had 4 controller ports which made 4 player footy (the english sort) a blast. The PS1 was good too and I remember being really amazed when I played the first Tomb Raider game for the first time and saw Colin McRae Rally is motion. I guess it brought 3D and gaming more generally speaking to the masses. I found MDK quite amusing too, with the aliens waving the targets around. Never liked the D-Pad though, and still don't. I can't undersatnd why they've failed to improve on it after all these years.

I enjoyed them all, but probably had the most fun on the N64 so that's why I'd pick that as tops although I'd probably put the SNES above them them all if it was an option.

Eviltaco64
April 21st, 2008, 04:21
This was a tough decision for me.
But in the end, I chose Playstation.

mike_jmg
April 21st, 2008, 05:40
N64 for me, back in those days I was a nintendo fanboy (kind of, cause I never knew better).

N64 had some amazing games: Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Zelda OOT, Majora's mask, Conker's bad fur day, Mario party (all), Killer instinct gold, even pokemon stadium was good (cause I owned pokemon blue and got the chance to kick my brother's ass with my pocket monsters, just saying that makes me feel gay LOL, but mehh!)

Playstation had litteraly a ton of games but most of them had no quality (I just like Dino Crisis 2, Dragon Ball GT and FF8)

And for the Saturn, I haven't even seen one in my life

So it goes quality over quantity for me, N64 rules!!!!

Shrygue
April 21st, 2008, 13:18
I've not played the Nintendo 64 very much as I never actually owned one but Banjo Kazooie was good and a few othere.

Same goes for the Saturn but Nights into Dreams was ace and Panzer Dragoon wasn't bad either.

The first Playstation, well there's Crash Bandicoot and a few others I can't remember but those were fine as well. Like the two above, I didn't own that console just the same but this is stuff I have not played for something like 11+ years so I wouldn't really have that sort of money to spend back then.

Decision time.... and I would have to say prehaps the 1st one is the Playstation, 2nd Saturn and 3rd N64.

____anders____
April 21st, 2008, 13:52
i'm going for playstation, cus when it's modded, you can do alot of stuff with it:)

but the N64 don't come that far behind, cus the graphics were alot better imo, super mario 64, mario kart, vigilante 8 second offense, just to name a few is really fun:)

nomi
April 21st, 2008, 14:05
Playstation for me! well i just thought it was really amazing and it just gets my vote... wow JKK Dark supporting Sony.. WOW

JKKDARK
April 21st, 2008, 17:15
I'm an RPG fan. So I can't deny PlayStation had better software than the other two consoles.

Eviltaco64
May 3rd, 2008, 18:15
Bump

gdf
May 4th, 2008, 22:19
N64. Some real crap on that console, but it has a lot of my favourite games ever...Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Super Smash Bros., Conker's Bad Fur Day...The PS has Metal Gear and FFVII, amongst other true classics, but I've never had a Saturn.

Difficult choice, but I'd go with N64 every time.

Triv1um
May 4th, 2008, 22:30
Im offended that the N64 is beating the Saturn.

JKKDARK
May 4th, 2008, 22:47
Yeah, we don't have many Saturn users :/

gdf
May 5th, 2008, 20:02
Im offended that the N64 is beating the Saturn.

I wanted to get one recently, but it just doesn't have enough decent games to go along with it. I know it has a few classics, but they're tough to find from what I've seen.

Triv1um
May 6th, 2008, 18:29
It worth getting a saturn just for the homebrew, not bad for a old console.

Also, the good european game are all at my local gamestation for stupidly low prices (like £2 each).

Stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga will cost you some buck off Ebay though.

acn010
May 6th, 2008, 18:37
PS takes my credit.... i had it cause of the graphics then the games were getting better so i made a good decision on buying one
saturn i also had but the memory was getting erased so i let it collect dust

gdf
May 7th, 2008, 21:55
It worth getting a saturn just for the homebrew, not bad for a old console.

Also, the good european game are all at my local gamestation for stupidly low prices (like £2 each).

Stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga will cost you some buck off Ebay though.

My GS haven't got Saturn stuff, but the main reason I want one is PDS.

Eviltaco64
May 27th, 2008, 02:06
Well it looks like Playstation wins.
Safe to say Im not suprised, but Saturn and N64 are great as well.

Biketraks
August 27th, 2008, 15:42
1st) N64. By far the power house of them all. I loved the lightening fast load times and the complex levels it could produce. No other system at the time had the 3D power of the N64. But for me the controller really topped it off. The 3D stick really worked well with 3D games. It also had some of the very best games of all time Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Mario 64, Zelda,s and Star Fox 64 to name just a few. I also liked Residentevil 2 and Tonk Hawk 1 2 and 3 on it but they were also good on other systems.

2nd) Saturn. Its 2D power was off the fall. It was just incredible what it could do. It has some of the very best 2D shooter and fighting games of all time. But it could hold it own on 3D games as well. It has some of my all time favourite games including Sega rally, Vertical Fighter, Gungriffon, Worms, Best version of Bomberman ever and a Bunch of SNK and Capcom games along with many more. To top it off the pads were great.

3rd) PS1. It had few games that I liked to play that were not available on the other formats. But generally I was disappointed with the system compared to the other two. The 2D graphics were quite poor and its 3D power was not much more than that of the Saturn. It was painfully slow at loading even basic games. I was really disappointed with the analogue stick when it finally got it. Though I has one I think it was one of my least played systems. I even played my 3DO more than I did it.