PDA

View Full Version : OpenXDK v0.04 Released

wraggster
October 5th, 2004, 01:07
A great day for the Xbox Emulation and Homebrew scenes as the Legal and free Xbox Dev Kit gets a much welcome update:[br][br]Heres the news:[br][br] After a long hibernation, OpenXDK has finally released some more code containing a number of fairly major changes. Highlights include:[br]* Migration to a GCC-based toolchain. It now compiles using the Cygwin GCC compiler. Unfortunately, as much as it would have been desirable to support both MS and GNU toolchains, the practicalities are such that the MS compilers are no longer supported. Sorry! (Although, theoretically, you should be able to compile your application using the MS compilers and link in the GCC-compiled OpenXDK libraries.)[br]* It now contains a complete libc replacement (thanks to newlib.) This means that 99% of the normal stdio, memory, sprintf, et al routines are available.[br]* Multimedia support is provided using the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) and supports video, joysticks and event handling. Video is currently limited to 640x480 or smaller. Only one joystick/pad is supported (but that is expected to be fixed soon.)[br]* To demonstrate the capabilities of the current OpenXDK framework, the SDL port of Doom (without sound or networking) is able to be compiled and executed. You will need to find a DOOM1.WAD (shareware) and put it in the root of your XBOX's C drive.[br]* Sound and networking are currently not supported. If you have experience in interfacing with the NVidia nForce MCP-D chip at the hardware/driver level, please get involved! [br][br]Excellent news, check out the OpenXDK Site Here (http://openxdk.sourceforge.net/)

MetaFox
October 5th, 2004, 03:06
Cool. I'm off to try it out. It supports SDL? That's awesome. Good thing I redesigned Xbox Vision earlier today. It looks like it may be getting some content soon. :)

It's already beginning to turn heads. Here's an interesting comment that I think you might find interesting Wragg. :)

wow,now that the OpenXDK has SDL implemented (even though there's missing sound support),i think i should start converting my SDL-ports :-) . This is really great news !

WHurricane16
October 5th, 2004, 05:46
Open XBK is the legal one, right? This is great if this is the case. I thought this project was long dead. :P

MetaFox
October 5th, 2004, 06:12
Open XBK is the legal one, right? This is great if this is the case. I thought this project was long dead. :PYep, it sure is. :)

I thought it was dead too. It's alot more far along than the last release. I'm mucking about with it now.

Now, I only need to get an Xbox to test the stuff out on. :P

Eric
October 5th, 2004, 10:15
Thats sweet so most of the requests i made for DC are probably possible on XBOX and is there a possibility for sound in the future sorry for the nagging question